Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brexit
Stay in EU/Bydand 35 36.08%
Leave EU/Adios! 62 63.92%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,351,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Why does Europe need a union? None of the other continents even have one!
(i.e. You never see Asian Union or American or African Union!)
Eh... Economic and political organisations exist all over the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associ..._Asian_Nations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercosur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...rade_Agreement

Old 05-19-2016, 01:25 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
On the fence about the whole Brexit thing. Over the years there have been far too many silly laws that have been imposed on the UK by Europe (bendy banana law I kid you not look it up) and the amount the UK pays in seems to be astronomical especially when you see what little it gets back out.
On the other hand my son works in Eire, the Brexit thing would cause problems for him working as he would then have to apply for a work visa etc (not at all cheap @ €1800.00 / US $2000)

Either way I am no longer eligible to vote and even if I were I wouldn't, I have no intention of moving back to the UK so really don't see it as my business to vote over there.
Eire isn't part of the UK, why would it cause him problems?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:26 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,434,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Eire isn't part of the UK, why would it cause him problems?
He's British working in Eire (an EU country), being part of the EU he hasn't had to get work authorisation but if the UK separates from the EU he will. As hes already found out everything over there takes forever to process so he's really not looking forward to it.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,016,824 times
Quote:
He's British working in Eire (an EU country), being part of the EU he hasn't had to get work authorisation but if the UK separates from the EU he will. As hes already found out everything over there takes forever to process so he's really not looking forward to it.
A lot of export companies within the UK who has dealing with Eire have expressed concerns

Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
The UK and Eire have a separate agreement which predates the EU by many years regarding reciprocal employment and travel rights.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:45 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishReaper View Post
A lot of export companies within the UK who has dealing with Eire have expressed concerns
In 2014, the EU had a trade surplus with the UK of around £68 billion. Anyone who think that the EU are going to put that at risk (e.g. by imposing tariffs) is smoking something not quite legal. All this talk of tariffs in the event of Brexit is nonsense.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:46 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,464,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Why does Europe need a union? None of the other continents even have one!
(i.e. You never see Asian Union or American or African Union!)
There is an African Union.

Of course there isn't an Asian Union. Asia is too big and too diverse and Asian countries are extremely hostile to one another. But there is one for SE Asian countries. I'm surprised that you didn't know this. SE Asia is really close to your country and Korea is kind of an associate member of it.

There's also one for South American countries, one for Arab countries, and there's NAFTA that comprises of Canada, America, and Mexico. Just to name a few.

Anyways back to topic, if I were British I would definitely vote for staying as leaving would be absolutely devastating for the UK. Scotland would definitely secede, for one thing.

But since I'm not British, I'd love to see Brexit actually happening and witness the catastrophic consequences.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,998,456 times
I looked at web sites regarding trade, in terms of exports and imports.

For the UK, Eire ranks 5th in volume.

For Eire, the UK ranks second.

The USA ranks first for both countries.

For both the UK and Eire, the next important trade partners are EU countries

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-19-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,017,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There is an African Union.

Of course there isn't an Asian Union. Asia is too big and too diverse and Asian countries are extremely hostile to one another. But there is one for SE Asian countries. I'm surprised that you didn't know this. SE Asia is really close to your country and Korea is kind of an associate member of it.

There's also one for South American countries, one for Arab countries, and there's NAFTA that comprises of Canada, America, and Mexico. Just to name a few.

Anyways back to topic, if I were British I would definitely vote for staying as leaving would be absolutely devastating for the UK. Scotland would definitely secede, for one thing.

But since I'm not British, I'd love to see Brexit actually happening and witness the catastrophic consequences.
Interesting, indeed. However, the vast majority of Koreans and Japanese don't even know such union exists. And distance-wise, SE asia is actually a bit far away(almost 5-hour flight).

Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,070,828 times
Here's a handy little 'EU Referendum Poll Tracker' from the BBC:

EU referendum poll tracker - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom