Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
The USA have plenty of reason to keep these two countries on side given the issues in the region and the US bases in both countries.

There will be no benefits for the Uk coming from the US anytime soon even if it were to leave the EU, Trump wants everything made and bought in the USA.
Trump is irrelevant tell me what is different in the way the US operated now in comparison to Obama? Trump doesn't make law, and even EOs only can marginally affect how a law is enforced, not change the law. The house and Senate are at odds until the end of his first term, we don't know if he'll have a second. I mean he can't even block one reporter from the White House press briefings.

If the US wants to deconstruct the EU it's going to need someone to assist. Who's that going to be? Russia? Nope not with congress the way it is, Israel?

Quote:
The UK was a leading voice and tabled most of the laws in place today.

Each member state has its own reasons for joining and staying in the EU.

Macron was correct when he said

Humanity needs to keep going forward not stepping backwards into closed societies, the worlds smaller than ever, we need to have common laws, values and respect for each nation and to help those that need help and guide those that need guidance.
Each member state is there because for now they believe the benefits outweigh the costs, but make no mistake, if that turns they'll be abandoning ship like proverbial rats, and why should they not?

Macron is a donkeys ass, he's doing precisely what he's accusing someone else of. He's drumming up populist support for Europe while denouncing populist support in the US. Further it's rich that the French are claiming moral high ground, they spent years ignoring farmers blockading channel ports to delay and destroy UK agricultural exports to France in direct contravention of it's own agreements. Historically France will agree to anything, then do whatever it thinks is best for France.

I'm not suggesting a closed society, and you're not suggesting an open society, a walled garden like the EU is still a closed society that demands compliance to enter. Further it's not about nations a nation is just a collective, it starts with people, and the UK has experienced just how much help and guidance the EU is prepared to offer, which is diddly-squat.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Trump is irrelevant tell me what is different in the way the US operated now in comparison to Obama? Trump doesn't make law, and even EOs only can marginally affect how a law is enforced, not change the law. The house and Senate are at odds until the end of his first term, we don't know if he'll have a second. I mean he can't even block one reporter from the White House press briefings.

If the US wants to deconstruct the EU it's going to need someone to assist. Who's that going to be? Russia? Nope not with congress the way it is, Israel?

Each member state is there because for now they believe the benefits outweigh the costs, but make no mistake, if that turns they'll be abandoning ship like proverbial rats, and why should they not?

Macron is a donkeys ass, he's doing precisely what he's accusing someone else of. He's drumming up populist support for Europe while denouncing populist support in the US. Further it's rich that the French are claiming moral high ground, they spent years ignoring farmers blockading channel ports to delay and destroy UK agricultural exports to France in direct contravention of it's own agreements. Historically France will agree to anything, then do whatever it thinks is best for France.

I'm not suggesting a closed society, and you're not suggesting an open society, a walled garden like the EU is still a closed society that demands compliance to enter. Further it's not about nations a nation is just a collective, it starts with people, and the UK has experienced just how much help and guidance the EU is prepared to offer, which is diddly-squat.
Mmm

Unless you’ve been under a rock you willl see Trump Is actively dismantling trade agreements wherever he can find them, so he’s in no mood to start new ones with the UK should they manage to finish Brexit.

The EU have not been awkward or nasty like many think they are just because the the pipe dreams promised by the nice Mr Farage and his funny friend Mr Johnson haven’t materialsed.

The EU cannot bend rules for any country leaving to the detriment of others staying in the EU, it’s that simple

The UK can stay and make the EU work or it can jump out and try to negotiate a deal afterwards.

Last edited by britinspain; 11-18-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Mmm

Unless you’ve been under a rock you willl see Trump Is actively dismantling trade agreements wherever he can find them, so he’s in no mood to start new ones with the UK should they manage to finish Brexit.

The EU have not been awkward or nasty like many think they are just because the the pipe dreams promised by the nice Mr Farage and his funny friend Mr Johnson haven’t materialsed.

The EU cannot bend rules for any country leaving to the detriment of others staying in the EU, it’s that simple

The UK can stay and make the EU work or it can jump out and try to negotiate a deal afterwards.
Trump doesn't really understand how our government works. Congress has to ratify treaties. Wait until Aunt Nancy takes over. There will be pushback.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Trump doesn't really understand how our government works. Congress has to ratify treaties. Wait until Aunt Nancy takes over. There will be pushback.
He doesn’t like to be told no and does what he pleases , from my understanding the steel and aluminum tarrifs are still inforce so he may have missed the memo about treaties being ratified ?

Let’s hope Nancy can have some control over toddler in chief.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
He doesn’t like to be told no and does what he pleases , from my understanding the steel and aluminum tarrifs are still inforce so he may have missed the memo about treaties being ratified ?

Let’s hope Nancy can have some control over toddler in chief.
Honestly, Mitch & Paul have let him do what he wants for the most part. It's easier & quieter. Several times, even Republicans have publicly said no, that's not happening. Even Ryan has said it.

If the UK walks with no deal, the vast majority of the population in the US will want a trading treaty with the UK. They will want something fair to both parties.

There's a darned good reason that the congressional results played out the way they did. People are angry that the man who lost the popular vote is doing a lot of stuff that hurts ordinary people. It would have been worse but some states are so badly gerrymandered that it's impossible for Democrats to be elected to congressional seats.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Honestly, Mitch & Paul have let him do what he wants for the most part. It's easier & quieter. Several times, even Republicans have publicly said no, that's not happening. Even Ryan has said it.

If the UK walks with no deal, the vast majority of the population in the US will want a trading treaty with the UK. They will want something fair to both parties.

There's a darned good reason that the congressional results played out the way they did. People are angry that the man who lost the popular vote is doing a lot of stuff that hurts ordinary people. It would have been worse but some states are so badly gerrymandered that it's impossible for Democrats to be elected to congressional seats.
You can only imagine what goes on behind closed doors of the White House !

The UK and Brits would love a decent trade deal but Trump and the EU will think otherwise I’m sure.

Democrats in Florida are rarer than hens teeth and you have to watch what you say, they have lots of guns too

Luckily in the winter there are snowbirds to even things out though,

I was stopped with family last week having ice cream when a woman next to us started chatting, once she heard we were British she said..
Quote:
So, what do you think of Trump ?
I was being diplomatic and said he’s certainly enertainig to which she replied..
Quote:
He’s a Dick
turns out she was from Boston

Old 11-18-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You can only imagine what goes on behind closed doors of the White House !

The UK and Brits would love a decent trade deal but Trump and the EU will think otherwise I’m sure.

Democrats in Florida are rarer than hens teeth and you have to watch what you say, they have lots of guns too

Luckily in the winter there are snowbirds to even things out though,

I was stopped with family last week having ice cream when a woman next to us started chatting, once she heard we were British she said..

I was being diplomatic and said he’s certainly enertainig to which she replied.. turns out she was from Boston

Keep in mind that the powers that be in the EU give no appearance of any sort of approval of Trump. Macron's speech about nationalism was obviously aimed at Trump.

If you aren't wealthy, the latest tax cuts for the rich are hurting everyone else, including the main constituency of the Republicans. Let's see what happens to them in 2020, if Trump doesn't try to cancel the election. This last election was supposed to be terrible for the Democrats. Oops!

I think that the worst case scenario for a good trade treaty with the US would be 2021. (For the record, I'm independent. I've just found the man to be a crook since the 80s)

Old 11-18-2018, 06:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
If the UK wants a good deal with the US after Brexit (if it actually happens), then the UK should leave the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:02 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,513,412 times
Quote:

This would be the rare Democrats who have just lost out in the election for Florida Governor by only 33,683 votes,a losing margin of 0.41%.
And at the same time lost the contest for Senator won by Rick Scott after recounts by just 10,033 votes.
Eight million people voted.
You really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
This would be the rare Democrats who have just lost out in the election for Florida Governor by only 33,683 votes,a losing margin of 0.41%.
And at the same time lost the contest for Senator won by Rick Scott after recounts by just 10,033 votes.
Eight million people voted.
You really don't have a clue what you're talking about.
I suppose it depend on your location in Florida but the republicans still won even now 2 years on.

I can tell you for a fact in the northern half of Florida where I am there are no outward Democrats

Obviously there are Democrats but they are really quiet and scared to raise their heads for sure

Everywhere you go you see bumper stickers on virtually every car and hats for sale everywhere with MAGA or MAGA 2020 on them, the Villages just up the road from me have their own supporters club which is anything but discreet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IIW_d1f97s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom