Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:25 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,304,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree.

If they had run a business they wouldn't vote to do the damage with your largest trading partner and in turn damage your own business and employees.

We will see in a few weeks when Theresa caves in to the inevitable.
You make it sound like a business is a static entity, in my experience it's certainly not. You make choices that increase or decrease your market share, and you adapt to those choices and market conditions. If you haven't been doing this, you've been doing it wrong.

You may as a business choose to cease trading with another business accepting a short term loss for a long term profit, that's what's known as an investment. So I disagree a business may very well choose to stop trading with their largest partner to pursue a greater opportunity away from that partner.

If Bill Gates followed your advice, he'd be a no-name buried in the bowels of IBM.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 AM

1,129 posts, read 473,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You make it sound like a business is a static entity, in my experience it's certainly not. You make choices that increase or decrease your market share, and you adapt to those choices and market conditions. If you haven't been doing this, you've been doing it wrong.

You may as a business choose to cease trading with another business accepting a short term loss for a long term profit, that's what's known as an investment. So I disagree a business may very well choose to stop trading with their largest partner to pursue a greater opportunity away from that partner.

If Bill Gates followed your advice, he'd be a no-name buried in the bowels of IBM.
No business would close down trade with its biggest customer without a backup plan in place, and the bull being touted about future deals won't put food on the table and is no backup plan.

The business would at best lay off half its employees but in all probability just go bust, Bill Gates or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:54 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,304,525 times
Quote:
No business would close down trade with its biggest customer without a backup plan in place, and the bull being touted about future deals won't put food on the table and is no backup plan.

The business would at best lay off half its employees but in all probability just go bust, Bill Gates or not.
They've had 2 years to get that backup plan in place, if they're so clumsy that it takes more than two years to plan for this, they're better off dead, because in the next 10 years with disruptive technology and emerging markets they're just dead men walking anyway. To be honest I'd even be surprised if the EU is anything significant in 20 years, you want to hitch your wagon to those horses? I certainly wouldn't.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
They've had 2 years to get that backup plan in place, if they're so clumsy that it takes more than two years to plan for this, they're better off dead, because in the next 10 years with disruptive technology and emerging markets they're just dead men walking anyway. To be honest I'd even be surprised if the EU is anything significant in 20 years, you want to hitch your wagon to those horses? I certainly wouldn't.
I hitched my horses to the EU in 2002 and it was the best thing that I could have done, I know I am banging a different drum to many of those on here but will keep banging it for the doors to stay open for future generations so they can trade or live anywhere they want in the EU and make the most of their lives.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,648,271 times
i'm sure there are plenty of people living and working in Europe who's countries are not part of the EU, I don't think that's a valid argument.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
i'm sure there are plenty of people living and working in Europe who's countries are not part of the EU, I don't think that's a valid argument.
You don't think my preference for freedom of movement and ease of trade is a valid argument for the UK staying in the EU

If the UK hadn't joined the EU I wouldn't have the life I have today and another million plus Brits wouldn't either, the UK's economy has also thrived over the last 20 years with the border less trade opportunities.

Building barriers is regressive and self harm.

Only people with a poor quality of life would jump into the unknown after being warned it will have negative affects in the hope of improvement.

Last edited by britinspain; 12-18-2018 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,648,271 times
I agree but only in part.
like I said before, I was all for the trading part "the common market" but once the political element was added I couldn't wait to vote to leave along with 17 million other patriots.
remember we were never given a vote on the EU only on remaining in the common market and that was 2 years AFTER we were taken in without a vote.
they have just ruled out a second referendum, apparently legally speaking its a no-no.

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-18-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-18-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I agree but only in part.
like I said before, I was all for the trading part "the common market" but once the political element was added I couldn't wait to vote to leave along with 17 million other patriots.
remember we were never given a vote on the EU only on remaining in the common market and that was 2 years AFTER we were taken in without a vote.
they have just ruled out a second referendum, apparently legally speaking its a no-no.
A vote on what way to go now is inevitable, it's not my wishful thinking.

Today's announcement of preparing for a no deal is to try and frighten MP's to vote for Mays terrible deal, the chances are pretty slim that that passes.

Once it's voted down its drive over the edge or throw it back to the people and with 80% of Tory MPs wanting to remain anyway, at least according to Ken Clarke today, it doesn't take much figuring what way that will go.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:27 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,587,689 times
Quote:
A vote on what way to go now is inevitable, it's not my wishful thinking.

Today's announcement of preparing for a no deal is to try and frighten MP's to vote for Mays terrible deal, the chances are pretty slim that that passes.

Once it's voted down its drive over the edge or throw it back to the people and with 80% of Tory MPs wanting to remain anyway, at least according to Ken Clarke today, it doesn't take much figuring what way that will go.
With only a little more than three months left, it would be idiotic/irresponsible NOT to prepare.

The EU announced in October it was preparing for a no deal: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41765983

Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM

19,037 posts, read 14,319,960 times
Never underestimate the willingness of Europe to bow down and kiss the feet of the boots on their necks.
Shut up, sit down, pay and obey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom