Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,288,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Sorry, this is nonsense. Try harder explaining what a trend is. I did one year statistics as part of my degree.
Cool. Is that your only degree?

I earn 6 figures as a data scientist.

You wanna flop 'em out here and see which is bigger?

A trend is a series of events that diverge from background, that may be used to predict future similar events, as it demonstrates a pattern of behavior in the data set. Hows that sound?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:07 AM

985 posts, read 1,857,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Cool. Is that your only degree?

I earn 6 figures as a data scientist.

You wanna flop 'em out here and see which is bigger?

A trend is a series of events that diverge from background, that may be used to predict future similar events, as it demonstrates a pattern of behavior in the data set. Hows that sound?

Good for you!

But why do you try and fool people claiming that 3 single events of 2 individual countries (of 28, or possibly slightly less by that time) consisting of about 2% of the overall EU population constitutes a trend for the entire EU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
no, I just think that someone who lives in Europe, I don't know your age-you probably haven't known any difference to being ruled by the EU, and there is a certain amount of indoctrination involved.
I believe you live in Europe too, somehow...
Ah, you need to be born at least in 1955 in the UK (assuming full maturity at age 18 in 1973) to fully understand the indoctrination by the EU. That would convert to a birth year of 1933 for Germany as Germany was part of the EU predecessor in 1951. No I am not 86 yet. But I will tell my three grandchildren on the coming weekend that they will never be able to understand things properly as they haven't lived long enough yet, or that they were born in the wrong country, despite two of them being British.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,620,775 times
Quote:
I believe you live in Europe too, somehow...
Ah, you need to be born at least in 1955 in the UK (assuming full maturity at age 18 in 1973) to fully understand the indoctrination by the EU. That would convert to a birth year of 1933 for Germany as Germany was part of the EU predecessor in 1951. No I am not 86 yet. But I will tell my three grandchildren on the coming weekend that they will never be able to understand things properly as they haven't lived long enough yet, or that they were born in the wrong country, despite two of them being British.
no, like many Englishmen I have never considered myself a European.
UK joined the "common market" in 1973, we have a vote in 1975 about staying in, we never were given a vote on joining.so I wonder if our membership is even valid?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
no, like many Englishmen I have never considered myself a European.
UK joined the "common market" in 1973, we have a vote in 1975 about staying in, we never were given a vote on joining.so I wonder if our membership is even valid?

Never part of Europe? No similarities, no similar history, what about Normans, Norwegians, Angles, Saxons etc? It is virtually impossible for a Belgian, German or Pole to feel European, as we are, or at least believe to be, in the middle of it, but is there absolutely no feeling of being a part of Europe (and I don't mean the EU here) on the fringes of the continent?

As to the validity, I felt similarly about the Maastricht Treaty and envied other countries which allowed referendums. In my opinion (in my case German) MPs were not allowed to surrender and assign their duties of representing their citizens (or constituents) to another organisation without asking the people first. I didn't go to any demonstrations though as there weren't any, and accepted the course of history. Still, it was a mistake, they should have asked us. That was - in both my and your case - not the EU's fault, but that our governments.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,620,775 times
Quote:
Never part of Europe? No similarities, no similar history, what about Normans, Norwegians, Angles, Saxons etc? It is virtually impossible for a Belgian, German or Pole to feel European, as we are, or at least believe to be, in the middle of it, but is there absolutely no feeling of being a part of Europe (and I don't mean the EU here) on the fringes of the continent?

that's the point, we are an island off Europe, we aren't part of the continent.
I am English through and through, given some of our shared history I will never call myself European, and I think that is the whole point of this EU question .

Old 02-04-2019, 08:53 AM

949 posts, read 575,594 times
The EU is like making a deal with the devil. The EU is good for controlling commodity distribution and its pricing.
Seeing the corps cringe and move their headquarters away from England clearly demonstrates this for me.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,231,189 times
Quote:
we had a vote, it was called a referendum, we were also told it was a once in a lifetime vote and that the result would be respected......some hope!
a second vote would be undemocratic, but then the EU has a habit of forcing second and 3rd votes until they get the result THEY want.
Relax, the EU cannot force the UK to have a second referendum.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,231,189 times
Quote:
that's the point, we are an island off Europe, we aren't part of the continent.
I am English through and through, given some of our shared history I will never call myself European, and I think that is the whole point of this EU question .
You nailed it! Just this in the end.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 AM

703 posts, read 447,216 times
There's nothing undemocratic about subsequent referendums. If circumstances change and there's reason to believe that a majority of the electorate has revised it's opinions then it would be undemocratic not to have another referendum, providing of course that circumstances allow it.
Otherwise the country would proceed under the wishes of a minority. The key thing is the change of public mood. This is quite distinct from the often quoted red herring of ' keep having referendums until you get the result you want' which is ridiculous, and no argument at all against having a responsible second referendum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom