Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 AM

27,578 posts, read 13,790,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
You all know very well that the deadline can be extended to accommodate a second referendum!
Firstly the Government have said they will not be having a secnd referendum.

Secondly from what I gather the EU are against extending Article 50.

Thirdly whats the point, we aren't going to join the Euro, Schenghen, an EU Constitution or accept being part of a federal state, so even if the referedum was overturned it wouldn't solkve a lot of problems and may cause further anger and resentment.

We are never going to be enthusiastic in relation to federalism.

Our main choice is, do we stay alligned to the EU and stay stuck in a customs union like Norway is, and have to have free movement and some EU interference or do we just leave altogether and make as many free trade deals as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,468,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Thirdly whats the point, we aren't going to join the Euro, Schenghen, an EU Constitution or accept being part of a federal state, so even if the referedum was overturned it wouldn't solkve a lot of problems and may cause further anger and resentment.

Our main choice is, do we stay alligned to the EU and stay stuck in a customs union like Norway is, and have to have free movement and some EU interference or do we just leave altogether and make as many free trade deals as possible.
That's what they want BNW. They want us in a customs union. Keep paying in with no say, free movement continuing. We would remain on a tight leash, just the way the EU wants us.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 PM

7,864 posts, read 10,356,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The UK clearly plans to have free movement as it says it wants no border between Northern Ireland and the EU

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM

8,982 posts, read 11,861,036 times
Why is it so hard to leave? Aren't you a nuclear power?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
So........ send a nuclear missile to Brussels? Hmmmmmmm, interesting idea.......

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Normally a comment like this would seem like comedic value but not so in this entire farce

Old 02-05-2019, 01:25 PM

8,982 posts, read 11,861,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So........ send a nuclear missile to Brussels? Hmmmmmmm, interesting idea.......
No need to actually send one anywhere. I just thought the UK, being a nuclear power, would have some leverage. The leverage of being one is immense. It is for this reason that the US, for example, can't just swallow up China, Russia, or India.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No need to actually send one anywhere. I just thought the UK, being a nuclear power, would have some leverage. The leverage of being one is immense. It is for this reason that the US, for example, can't just swallow up China, Russia, or India.
Good ol gunboat diplomacy

Old 02-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I'm smiling here reading your post. What leverage does being a nuclear power give us in negotiating to leave the EU? I have to admit, it never crossed my mind, until you mentioned us being a nuclear power. I don't see how it helps us with this at all.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 AM

5,435 posts, read 3,643,788 times
if the EU goes on the way it does, bullying everyone and not listening to real grievances it will be dead in the water within 10 years anyway, the common market was a good idea but this political union suits nobody but Germany and France.
I always thought that one sign of the one sided nature of the UK's relationship with Europe was when we had to rename JIF ...CIF because continentals couldn't pronounce their j's, that was just a small sign of how this relationship would evolve.

Last edited by bigpaul; 02-06-2019 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom