Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,282,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyIndecisive View Post
Yes, Juncker was elected by the European Council, but not a single vote was ever cast in his name by the actual public.

Not a single vote was ever cast in Teresa May's name by the actual public either (or David Cameron, Tony Blair....). Is the UK just as bad a "dictatorship" as they claim the EU is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,622,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not a single vote was ever cast in Teresa May's name by the actual public either (or David Cameron, Tony Blair....). Is the UK just as bad a "dictatorship" as they claim the EU is?
your right about Mrs May she was elected by the party, not sure about David Cameron, but Tony Blair won a couple of general elections.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,523,163 times
It is truly ironic that sections of the Irish-American community which funded the IRA's murderous campaign for decades are now insisting on the backstop to preserve the peace.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,076,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
It may be that it is easier for Anglosphere nations to understand (and appreciate) the Brits than continental Europeans.
An element perhaps but believe me our European 'friends' look down their noses at the British and at British goods, it makes selling anything British to Europe notoriously difficult, just as an example in the US I believe there are 'British shops' that sell British tea, cakes, biscuits etc, novelty shops were American people like to try British produce, you think a shop like that could ever be opened in ANYWHERE in France? Not a hope in hell. I am reminded of a consumer program I say many years ago - a guy had tried opening an 'English' restaurant in France (can't remember where but it wasn't Paris) and he complained that our French 'friends' wouldn't even give it a chance, so, they did an experiment, they took some 'samples' of English dishes on to the streets of Paris, small samples on silver platters and they asked the Parisians if they would like to 'try' the samples. The Parisians tried, they really liked some of the food, they weren't so keen on some of the food - as you would expect. Then they repeated the experiment, this time they put little Union Jacks in the same food samples and asked the Parisians 'would you like to try some of these samples of ENGLISH food' - this time nobody would even touch it! One by one they creased up their noses and turned their backs. Why should we be tied in to trade with people with that kind of attitude? Why not trade instead with people who are prepared to have an open mind instead? Junker has shown perfectly the 'typical' attitude towards the British that our Euro 'friends' have, British people won't 'judge', after Brexit the British will still like a bottle of French plonk, they will still like to drive a German car or eat a nice Spanish ham, I'm wondering and kind of hoping that the same courtesy comes back the other way - not from Tusk though obviously!

Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 AM

985 posts, read 1,857,755 times
Please Easthome, stop being so melodramatic. We eat, drink and drive (not at the same time) what we like, and not just because whether goods are from the UK or elsewhere.

What dishes exactly were offered in that Parisian experiment?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
your right about Mrs May she was elected by the party, not sure about David Cameron, but Tony Blair won a couple of general elections.

He's not right just about May, but about all prime ministers. You never directly elect the prime minister, just your MP.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,622,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
He's not right just about May, but about all prime ministers. You never directly elect the prime minister, just your MP.
well, true in a way I suppose, the leader of the party that wins the election becomes prime minister.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:38 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,076,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Please Easthome, stop being so melodramatic. We eat, drink and drive (not at the same time) what we like, and not just because whether goods are from the UK or elsewhere.

What dishes exactly were offered in that Parisian experiment?
I am not being 'melodramatic', I think a point was proven, it was the flag that changed their whole attitude, I don't know what dishes were offered 'exactly' but the point is they were prepared to 'try' the samples UNTIL they were told it was samples of English food.

I used this link: https://www.cornishpastyco.com/ just as an example, why did Dean Thomas have to go to the other side of the world to set up his British 'ethnic' restaurant? If you can find anything like that anywhere in France I would be very surprised, I base my opinions on what I see, on what I hear and on what I read, of course I admit I could be completely wrong you could show me something that changes my beliefs?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,290,005 times
MOD NOTE:
ENOUGH!

Attacking a nation is a form of racism, this is a violation of the ToS.

I've given lots of latitude, but recriminations and finger pointing by European based or UK based posters against the other will no longer be tolerated, and infractions given as appropriate.

You've been warned, argue the issues not the country.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am not being 'melodramatic', I think a point was proven, it was the flag that changed their whole attitude, I don't know what dishes were offered 'exactly' but the point is they were prepared to 'try' the samples UNTIL they were told it was samples of English food.

I used this link: https://www.cornishpastyco.com/ just as an example, why did Dean Thomas have to go to the other side of the world to set up his British 'ethnic' restaurant? If you can find anything like that anywhere in France I would be very surprised, I base my opinions on what I see, on what I hear and on what I read, of course I admit I could be completely wrong you could show me something that changes my beliefs?

Yes, proven on a small scale.

I am not sure English/British food is good for export. Pasties for me are a more a snack than a meal, and they are a bit like marmite, you álmost have to be grown up with it to like them. As about "coming from Germany" I belive that we should be open about things and accept different views, wherever they are from, and discuss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom