Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 07:07 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,441,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
Pie wonders who is really to blame for the "depressingly predictable" election results.
I guess he is right on the money. The Labour party no longer stand for the ordinary working class voter. They spend too much time in London enjoying the cosmopolitan atmosphere, and chatting with snowflakes waving their flags outside Parliament.

The real world came out to vote last Thursday. If Labour don't learn a hard lesson from this political slaughter, it will be repeated next time, only worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 07:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,284,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
Pie wonders who is really to blame for the "depressingly predictable" election results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0nIhL4v6bY
Completely right.

There's three perfect examples of what he's discussing.

Donald Trump
Brexit referendum
UK General Election 2019

All three the opposition took the position that their opponents were stupid, uneducated, racist, misguided, confused. Leading to Clinton losing, Remsin losing, Corbyn losing.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what might happen if the same strategy is used a fourth time? 200-1 odds say they'll succeed.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM

434 posts, read 248,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I guess he is right on the money. The Labour party no longer stand for the ordinary working class voter. They spend too much time in London enjoying the cosmopolitan atmosphere, and chatting with snowflakes waving their flags outside Parliament.

The real world came out to vote last Thursday. If Labour don't learn a hard lesson from this political slaughter, it will be repeated next time, only worse.
Scotland used to give Labour 50+ seats. Now that that's gone there's little chance of a Labour majority unless they move back to New Labour territory and get some economically creditable policies.

The next election is Johnson's to lose though, either he delivers and will sail through or stuffs up and he'll be out.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:58 AM

1,877 posts, read 679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

As for Scotland, I wouldn't give them a second independence referendum. The idea behind Brexit isn't anything new, and I argue that Scots knew or should have known that this was a possibility when they voted in 2014 to remain a part of the UK.
Being able to stay in the EU was literally one of the major selling points of the campaign against Scottish independence at the 2014 referendum.

Scotland will now have independence, whether sooner or later. They will not put up with this being inflicted on them. Either Johnson will give them another referendum or there will be seriously rising anger in Scotland.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Being able to stay in the EU was literally one of the major selling points of the campaign against Scottish independence at the 2014 referendum.

Scotland will now have independence, whether sooner or later. They will not put up with this being inflicted on them. Either Johnson will give them another referendum or there will be seriously rising anger in Scotland.
Um. . .I saw Nicola Sturgeon giving this argument after the anchor announced that the SNP had lost 3 seats which she declared was a great victory. RJ and dizzybint have called her crazy, and they are Scottish. After seeing her in action, I tend to believe them.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:25 PM

1,877 posts, read 679,729 times
The SNP had a great election. I'm not sure what else you want them to do if you don't call that a success? Win every single seat?

Scotland has 59 seats at the Westminster Parliament, the SNP won 48 of them at this election, up from 35 in 2017.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:48 PM

2,264 posts, read 975,120 times
Johnson should give Scotland a referendum on independence and then ignore the results if he doesn’t like them and declare the referendum was only advisory.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Um. . .I saw Nicola Sturgeon giving this argument after the anchor announced that the SNP had lost 3 seats which she declared was a great victory. RJ and dizzybint have called her crazy, and they are Scottish. After seeing her in action, I tend to believe them.
Was that the Andrew Marr interview?

The one where she had no response to what she would do if the PM rejected her request for an independence referendum? Well she did, but it was a combo of "that won't happen" and "they'll acquiesce to her demands".

Not really a plan.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Was that the Andrew Marr interview?

The one where she had no response to what she would do if the PM rejected her request for an independence referendum? Well she did, but it was a combo of "that won't happen" and "they'll acquiesce to her demands".

Not really a plan.
I honestly don't remember his name, but it was one of the broadcasts aimed at PBS coverage. I saw several people being interviewed about the results. I waited because they said that she was coming up. I've heard so much about her but wanted to form my own opinion.

He specifically said that they'd lost 3 seats, then she launched into the wonderful victory thing and my reaction was that she must be a twit and must think that her voters were dolts. She wasn't responding to his direct questions and seemed to be winging it. He'd ask a question. There would be a pregnant pause, then she'd babble a bit and he'd try again. After a while he threw it to someone else.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I honestly don't remember his name, but it was one of the broadcasts aimed at PBS coverage. I saw several people being interviewed about the results. I waited because they said that she was coming up. I've heard so much about her but wanted to form my own opinion.

He specifically said that they'd lost 3 seats, then she launched into the wonderful victory thing and my reaction was that she must be a twit and must think that her voters were dolts. She wasn't responding to his direct questions and seemed to be winging it. He'd ask a question. There would be a pregnant pause, then she'd babble a bit and he'd try again. After a while he threw it to someone else.
Not sure about losing seats, it depends what election you compare it to.

The 2015 election (the last routine one) had the SNP with 56 seats out of 59. That fell during Theresa May's mid term snap election to 35 of 59. But regained a bunch in this 2019 election to 48 of 59.

So from routine elections its lost 8 seats since the last (next routine was scheduled for 2020), but from elections total its gained 13 since last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom