Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:29 AM

434 posts, read 249,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yes that the deal to legally leave the EU.
future trade is a separate issue and a separate deal and of no consequence to me. all I want to do is get out from under the thumb of the EUSSR.
It should do 'cause one of the options is staying in the single market / customs union and keeping freedom of movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 AM

27,574 posts, read 13,790,936 times
https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/s...41159805444098

Old 12-14-2019, 11:26 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,878,398 times
He'll sail right out of the EU but I am a bit worried about trade deals.

Who's he going to trade with? I know they say he and Trump are pals. Trump even gave him his personal mobile phone number. Maybe Boris is only pretending to like Trump--Boris being very intelligent, that would be a good idea.

But what would you want from the USA? Our food isn't good--you know about the chlorinated chicken but how about the hormones in the beef? and the antibiotics in the chicken? and all the pesticides on the fruits and vegetables? What could we possibly have that you would even want? Our manufacturing has long since been outsourced to places like China. Maybe our massive ugly SUV cars, lol. Our silly pickup trucks? Nothing is Made in USA anymore. What would we buy from you? Oh, maybe it would be our pharmaceuticals Trump wants to sell for whatever reason. We do make those. I know you won't let him try to take the NHS but he would if he could and he'd sell it down the river. We don't have much health insurance here, as you know, and what little we did have, he has promised to take away. I trust Boris to be clever enough to be able to deal with someone like Trump though.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:11 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,532,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Glad to see the curtain-haired slimeball has had his cough softened by the Boris landslide .
I wonder how man votes he helped contribute thanks to his tactless interventions.
Thanks Guy.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,468,475 times
This has been a long, fraught journey since the 2016 EU vote. There have been other threads on this subject, some now lost in the UK outpost annals. Ever since the vote was announced, we have been discussing here the ups and downs of every twist and turn. It has been a long journey.

Those of us who wanted the vote carried out, have watched some politicians try and deny the will of the people. Some demanding another vote, convinced that the English people had changed their minds, and wanted now to remain in the EU..

The General Election vote last Thursday showed the truth. It was the nearest anyone was going to get on a second vote on EU membership. The people voted Boris Johnson, and the Conservative party back in with a landslide vote. Parts of England that have been Labour forever, now voting Conservative. Even some areas holding bitter memories of the miners strike of 1984, when Margaret Thatcher unleashed the full force of the state against them.

Boris Johnson seemed to understand just how much of a shift this was. Solid Labour heartlands, putting their faith in him to get us out of the EU. He went up north yesterday to acknowledge that shift, and to thank the people for doing, what he knew was hard for them, by voting for him.

Some in London still seem to be in denial. Hopefully, posters here who wanted another vote on EU membership, now acknowledge Boris has been given a massive mandate to take us out of the EU, for better, or for worse. That is the road we are now on.

To be fair, I feel Boris will deliver a much softer Brexit, now he is in total control of his party, and government. He can be the more centralist leader he actually is. I accept that. I know it won't be the Brexit I hoped for. I wanted us to walk away, with a clean break, as Nigel Farage wants.

As long as free movement ends, and we regain control of our laws and borders, that will do for me. I know many folks are frightened of trade problems, and the effect this will have on our jobs, and prosperity. But, we had to leave. There has been underlying dislike for the EU for decades in many parts of the country. Some areas did real well, and resent leaving. But, the people have spoken, and as a democracy, we obey the results of a fair vote.

Scotland see things differently, and have voted accordingly. But, for all wee Nicola's screeching, in polls,the majority of Scots want to remain part of the union. Like it or lump it, Scotland is leaving the EU, along with the rest of the United Kingdom. This delusional woman thinks Scotland can go back in the EU as an independent country. They are not viable economically without the English teat. The vast majority of their trade is with us, not the EU. She will continue to make a lot of noise for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

Jeremy Corbyn has been crushed. The English people were never going to vote this man into power. His trusty right arm Diane Abbott turned up on the campaign trail wearing two left foot shoes from different pairs. This woman was in line to become Home Secretary in a Corbyn government. Thank gawd the English people saw through Corbyn's Marxist rag tag army. He will soon be thrown into the dust bin of political history, along with his cronies.

Going forward is difficult to say the least. We are not at the end of Brexit, but at least we are now on the road to truly leaving the EU, and once again, becoming an independent nation. Some tried to stop it happening, and they have been defeated. Onward, and upwards!!

Old 12-15-2019, 03:04 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,378,664 times
Feel bad for all the Portuguese, Polish, Lithuanians, Romanians, etc. who are living and working in Britain and contributing to British society. Sadly the British people voted against you

Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,468,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Feel bad for all the Portuguese, Polish, Lithuanians, Romanians, etc. who are living and working in Britain and contributing to British society. Sadly the British people voted against you
We voted against a continual invasion from foreigners year in, year out. Why do you think this is a good thing? The English people are among the kindest, most welcoming people in the world. We believe in democracy, and the rule of law. At the same time, we have a great sense of fairness, and what's right.

What has been going on in our country, especially this last 20 years is an invasion. That is the only word for it. Our schools have struggled to cope with the children of immigrants. Many arriving unable to speak English. We have had eastern European criminal gangs on our streets. Our NHS is being overwhelmed treating foreigners, who apparently come here for treatment they can't get at home. Don't you get it? We are fed up of being taken for fools.

We don't need eastern European gypsies sat in our streets, holding babies and begging. I have seen it with my own eyes. I reported it to the police, and the women in my town centre doing this, were taken away. You can't sit in our streets, with babies in one arm, and a hand out begging. It is a disgrace, and we want it stopped.

Sorry if you don't like it. We've been taken for mugs long enough.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:18 AM

5,433 posts, read 3,643,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
It should do 'cause one of the options is staying in the single market / customs union and keeping freedom of movement.
freedom of movement will not happen, one of the reasons for Brexit was to control who comes here and not continue with the free for all.
there may be something to be said for some form of customs union but it depends on how bullish the EU wants to be, our imports from the EU are decreasing and our imports from non EU countries are increasing .

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-15-2019 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 06:48 AM

30,766 posts, read 18,495,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This has been a long, fraught journey since the 2016 EU vote. There have been other threads on this subject, some now lost in the UK outpost annals. Ever since the vote was announced, we have been discussing here the ups and downs of every twist and turn. It has been a long journey.

Those of us who wanted the vote carried out, have watched some politicians try and deny the will of the people. Some demanding another vote, convinced that the English people had changed their minds, and wanted now to remain in the EU..

The General Election vote last Thursday showed the truth. It was the nearest anyone was going to get on a second vote on EU membership. The people voted Boris Johnson, and the Conservative party back in with a landslide vote. Parts of England that have been Labour forever, now voting Conservative. Even some areas holding bitter memories of the miners strike of 1984, when Margaret Thatcher unleashed the full force of the state against them.

Boris Johnson seemed to understand just how much of a shift this was. Solid Labour heartlands, putting their faith in him to get us out of the EU. He went up north yesterday to acknowledge that shift, and to thank the people for doing, what he knew was hard for them, by voting for him.

Some in London still seem to be in denial. Hopefully, posters here who wanted another vote on EU membership, now acknowledge Boris has been given a massive mandate to take us out of the EU, for better, or for worse. That is the road we are now on.

To be fair, I feel Boris will deliver a much softer Brexit, now he is in total control of his party, and government. He can be the more centralist leader he actually is. I accept that. I know it won't be the Brexit I hoped for. I wanted us to walk away, with a clean break, as Nigel Farage wants.

As long as free movement ends, and we regain control of our laws and borders, that will do for me. I know many folks are frightened of trade problems, and the effect this will have on our jobs, and prosperity. But, we had to leave. There has been underlying dislike for the EU for decades in many parts of the country. Some areas did real well, and resent leaving. But, the people have spoken, and as a democracy, we obey the results of a fair vote.

Scotland see things differently, and have voted accordingly. But, for all wee Nicola's screeching, in polls,the majority of Scots want to remain part of the union. Like it or lump it, Scotland is leaving the EU, along with the rest of the United Kingdom. This delusional woman thinks Scotland can go back in the EU as an independent country. They are not viable economically without the English teat. The vast majority of their trade is with us, not the EU. She will continue to make a lot of noise for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

Jeremy Corbyn has been crushed. The English people were never going to vote this man into power. His trusty right arm Diane Abbott turned up on the campaign trail wearing two left foot shoes from different pairs. This woman was in line to become Home Secretary in a Corbyn government. Thank gawd the English people saw through Corbyn's Marxist rag tag army. He will soon be thrown into the dust bin of political history, along with his cronies.

Going forward is difficult to say the least. We are not at the end of Brexit, but at least we are now on the road to truly leaving the EU, and once again, becoming an independent nation. Some tried to stop it happening, and they have been defeated. Onward, and upwards!!
That's what infuriated me the most. As I've written before, even if I was a remainer, my trust in the democratic process and system would have led me to vote for the conservatives this round given the complete and utter disregard for the Brexit vote by MPs over the last few years. Its been a complete disgrace.

As for Scotland, I wouldn't give them a second independence referendum. The idea behind Brexit isn't anything new, and I argue that Scots knew or should have known that this was a possibility when they voted in 2014 to remain a part of the UK.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,032,331 times
Pie wonders who is really to blame for the "depressingly predictable" election results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0nIhL4v6bY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom