Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 05:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,599 times

Advertisements

As demonstrated by Brexiteers, economic facts don't always win the day in these arguments. Brexit will make the UK poorer, but some people don't care about that, just as some people in Scotland won't care if splitting from the UK will make them poorer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
As demonstrated by Brexiteers, economic facts don't always win the day in these arguments. Brexit will make the UK poorer, but some people don't care about that, just as some people in Scotland won't care if splitting from the UK will make them poorer.
The Scottish can please themselves.

If they think they are better off outside of the union then so be it and with a different currency and possible hard borrder then so be it. Scottish goods and services would also be subject to border taxes.

I have family in Scotland and the country very much linked to the rest of the UK, so I suggest the Scots think long and hard.

If they go they go, I am English, and we have London and a good prospect of doing well is we were to go it alone.

My concerb woulkd be about England in such circumstances, the Scots can worry about their own problems if they decide to go independent.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:06 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
All economic facts being presented are based on the current economy of the UK. Projections of the effect of Brexit are likely complete speculation. Its equally possible the long term effects of Brexit have greater positive impact as negative. The EU is already being squeezed between the US and China, that isn't going to improve in the future, further the EU consumer market is stagnant, there's no significant population growth and the market is smaller than even China, to say nothing of India. Higher populations lead to higher sales figures and greater profits.

Further economics is only one issue, remember indecent proposal? Would you let your spouse/partnet spend the night with someone offering $1M for the pleasure? No? But doesnt that make economic sense?

See what I mean?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:09 AM

Well if the EU market is too small to be worthwhile then the UK market alone is much smaller still, the UK as a single country would likely be squeezed by the US and China much more than the EU is as 28 countries..

Old 09-27-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Well if the EU market is too small to be worthwhile then the UK market alone is much smaller still, the UK as a single country would likely be squeezed by the US and China much more than the EU is as 28 countries..
Small can get out the way.

Bigger can't.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Scottish can please themselves.

If they think they are better off outside of the union then so be it and with a different currency and possible hard borrder then so be it. Scottish goods and services would also be subject to border taxes.

I have family in Scotland and the country very much linked to the rest of the UK, so I suggest the Scots think long and hard.

If they go they go, I am English, and we have London and a good prospect of doing well is we were to go it alone.

My concerb woulkd be about England in such circumstances, the Scots can worry about their own problems if they decide to go independent.
All of that also applies to the UK leaving the EU, but it doesn't seem to persuade Brexiteers any more than it will persuade Scottish Nationalists.

Including by the way the fact that the EU is now only thinking about the interests of the remaining 27 members. The Brexiteers like to portray that quite logical position as 'deliberately being mean to us', 'showing they don't care about us', 'trying to humiliate the UK and make an example of us' etc etc. It isn't that at all, it's just that the UK has chosen to leave so it's interests are no longer taken into account by the EU. The UK would do the same with Scotland as you suggest if Scotland chose to leave.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Small can get out the way.

Bigger can't.
Big doesnt need to as much as small does. I'm sure the UK will be big enough for China and the US to try squeezing.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
All of that also applies to the UK leaving the EU, but it doesn't seem to persuade Brexiteers any more than it will persuade Scottish Nationalists.

Including by the way the fact that the EU is now only thinking about the interests of the remaining 27 members. The Brexiteers like to portray that quite logical position as 'deliberately being mean to us', 'showing they don't care about us', 'trying to humiliate the UK and make an example of us' etc etc. It isn't that at all, it's just that the UK has chosen to leave so it's interests are no longer taken into account by the EU. The UK would do the same with Scotland as you suggest if Scotland chose to leave.
I fully support a hard brexit, the EU have a $100 Billion trade surplus with us, and the US and other copuntries trade with the EU perfectly well without a trade agreement. Furthermore the EU is not a country, and started as a common trading area, it can not be compared to the union with Scotland

As fot the Scots of they wish to leave the UK then that's their concern, my concern is with England. A hard border or tax on Scottish goods would not concern me in the least, that would be up to the Scots, as indeed would be defending themselves and numerous other matters.

There is also majprity support for an English Parliament by the English and a more federal UK is considered as a way forward by some, with the UK coming together on issues such as Defence and Foreign policy. Germany is a good example of a federal country as is the US.

English independence - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-27-2019 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 AM

The UK didn't start as a country either, indeed many Scottish Nationalists argue that it isn't a country, that it is actually a union of two countries, Scotland and England but I'm not sure why that is relevant, the economic impact of either split would be damaging.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Big doesnt need to as much as small does. I'm sure the UK will be big enough for China and the US to try squeezing.
No need, there's bigger fish to fry.

What, you're going to squeeze a kumquat, when there's a grapefruit available? Don't be absurd.

Further, the EU economy is getting hosed by the China-US trade frictions, that's avoidable with diversified markets and trading partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom