Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:12 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Yes, but that's hardly the only factor. At the beginning of Brexit negotiations leading Brexiteers said that because we buy more from the rest of the EU than we sell to the rest of the EU they would be falling over themselves to give us any deal we wanted, 'the easiest deal in history', but it hasn't worked out like that has it?

In any negotiation on future trade arrangements the EU will play hardball, as will the US, as will China and others. The fact that China sells more to us than we do to them doesn't mean they are just going to give us whatever we want in any future UK-China FTA.

In many ways having a big trade deficit can be a disadvantage, because it usually means that we don't or can't produce all those goods domestically to a similar quality at similar cost, so we need to buy them from other countries. Not having a trade deal means they will be more expensive for UK consumers which will reduce living standards here, so the UK too will be very keen to get a deal for those reasons. A country doesn't hold all the cards just because it runs a trade deficit, that trade deficit often means that it doesn't have enough competitive companies in the international market.
So what do we do then? Continue as an EU cash cow, while at the same time being flooded with immigrants?

Just suck it up, until we end up with civil strife? How about not enough fresh water supplies in decades to come?

An EU colony obeying the great leader in Brussels? Is that our future in your eyes? Well it's not mine, or the majority of those who voted in 2016.

Out. Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:24 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
I don't see it in those terms you might be surprised to hear. It's no more a colonial relationship than Yorkshire is a 'colony' of the UK, it's a part of the UK just as the UK is part of the EU. Transfers between EU member states are pretty small beer when compared to transfers within countries. Does wherever you live in the UK treat London and the SE as a 'cash cow' because you receive more than you pay in?

I don't have any problem with EU migrants either, all those I know are perfectly decent people, as a group they have the highest employment rates of any group, more likely to be in jobs than other migrant groups or British born people. Most other EU countries don't seem to have a problem with other EU migrants either, I haven't heard of Brits in Spain, Romanians in Italy, Poles in Germany, Lithuanians in Ireland etc causing such a negative reaction as they seem to be amongst Brexiteers. It must be something unique in the yes Brexiteers drink (or the media they consume) which makes them froth at the mouth like that.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I don't see it in those terms you might be surprised to hear. It's no more a colonial relationship than Yorkshire is a 'colony' of the UK, it's a part of the UK just as the UK is part of the EU. Transfers between EU member states are pretty small beer when compared to transfers within countries. Does wherever you live in the UK treat London and the SE as a 'cash cow' because you receive more than you pay in?

I don't have any problem with EU migrants either, all those I know are perfectly decent people, as a group they have the highest employment rates of any group, more likely to be in jobs than other migrant groups or British born people. Most other EU countries don't seem to have a problem with other EU migrants either, I haven't heard of Brits in Spain, Romanians in Italy, Poles in Germany, Lithuanians in Ireland etc causing such a negative reaction as they seem to be amongst Brexiteers. It must be something unique in the yes Brexiteers drink (or the media they consume) which makes them froth at the mouth like that.
You really don't get it do you? It's not immigrants, it's the AMOUNT, year in, year out. It doesn't matter if they're decent people or not. Why do you think this small island can keep absorbing these numbers?

It's just crazy, and in the end, we will have civil strife. What you going to say then? "Oh....... I didn't see that coming........"

Old 09-27-2019, 01:46 PM

Great speech earlier by Nigel Farage on the telly news, shown 'live' by the BBC. He is ready, and his Brexit party is ready for the upcoming General Election. Go get 'em Nigel........

Old 09-27-2019, 01:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You really don't get it do you? It's not immigrants, it's the AMOUNT, year in, year out. It doesn't matter if they're decent people or not. Why do you think this small island can keep absorbing these numbers?

It's just crazy, and in the end, we will have civil strife. What you going to say then? "Oh....... I didn't see that coming........"
It's not that small, it's relatively large as Islands go, only 9% of land in the UK is built on. Other countries with dense populations also have migration, and plenty of Brits live abroad too.

The problems people complain about are caused by poor public policy not by migration.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It's not that small, it's relatively large as Islands go, only 9% of land in the UK is built on. Other countries with dense populations also have migration, and plenty of Brits live abroad too.

The problems people complain about are caused by poor public policy not by migration.
You are delusional. Do you want to see this country with no countryside left? Just keep building for an ever increasing population? That's the future you see for this country?

You ever tried driving anywhere in the rush hour, that seems to last half the day? Ever tried to get on an overcrowded train?

Tried buying a home in a nice area, and the cost? Tried competing with foreigners for a job? I am retired, but my son tells me the hoops prospective employees have to jump through to get a decent job.

Sure, big business loves it. Plenty of cheap labour, working zero hour contracts, and expected to be grateful.

This country has been sold out, and we have had enough of it. Riots are coming, and that is what politicians fear.

You think politicians are ready to go house to house in a General Election campaign? Many fear the reaction they are going to receive, and it's their own fault.

This will never heal, until we leave the EU, and not with a useless deal that keeps us tied like slaves, which is what Corbyn's Labour party want. We have had enough, and you, and the likes of you, just don't get it.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,686,808 times
Quote:

Perception trumps reality for most.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
The real definition of humbug.
Tory rebel, leading Remoaner and all round sanctimonious tosser Dominic Grieve MP voted against the Commons adjourning for the Conservative Party Conference.
It means few Tory MPs and government ministers will be able to attend and make speeches.
Except for one Dominic Grieve MP.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CER_EU/st...08175068704768

Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 467,543 times
We simply cannot keep importing people here and what Corbyn wants is disastrous and ridiculous. As for the Brexixt Party I do think they will get votes whilst at the same time not be as advanced as originally thought due to the Prime Minister being a staunch Brexiteer. Both Johnston and Farage generally doing well is a positive in general and what passes for a parliament at present has too many smart mouthed equally smart alecs. When you consider the standards that used to be things are a concern.

I note parliament is refusing a break to allow the Conservatives support for their conference. The Liberal Democrats had theirs and so did the Marxist leaning Labour lot. By the way that party conference was a damn shambles what they acted and individuals jumping up all the time clapping hands abouyt their heads and shouting. I am a teetotaler so on 31st October will celebrate with a glass of Scotland's great soft drink - Irn Bru (sugar free version!).

Old 09-27-2019, 03:14 PM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Again you’re banging on about increasing population, it’s got nothing to do with the EU at all, the population is going to keep,on growing whether you like it or not.

Stop blaming the EU

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...lation/mar2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom