Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 PM

2,264 posts, read 980,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Again you’re banging on about increasing population, it’s got nothing to do with the EU at all, the population is going to keep,on growing whether you like it or not.

Stop blaming the EU

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...lation/mar2017
Oops! Always a good idea to read a link thoroughly before jumping to conclusions about what it says:

Quote:
The highest immigration levels to date were seen in 2014 with 632,000 people coming to the UK. Rises in immigration have tended to coincide with the expansion of the EU, allowing more people to freely migrate to the UK.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...lation/mar2017

Last edited by mathlete; 09-27-2019 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 11:11 PM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
I’d had a few beers when I posted that

The point I was trying to make was population growth is not going to stop and not an issue isolated to the UK and certainly won’t be stopped if Brexit went ahead.

If you google population growth and look at any graph you will see a constant increase going back since human life began.

Even the Second World War in real terms didn’t impact this rise, the UKs pollution is growing with people living longer than ever and yes more people migrating, trying to stop migration won’t work any more than asking people to die a little earlier to reduce the population.

Interestingly this morning, Nigel Farage is saying he’s confident that leave would win again if another referendum was held.

https://news.sky.com/story/farage-co...endum-11821341

If he’s right, all us remainers would have to suck it up.

Last edited by britinspain; 09-27-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 11:49 PM

2,264 posts, read 980,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I’d had a few beers when I posted that . . .
I’ve gotten myself into trouble too more than a few times when I let the beer do the talking for me.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 PM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I’ve gotten myself into trouble too more than a few times when I let the beer do the talking for me.
I think most of us have ...

Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Looks like Nigel is calling for Johnson to resign.

Will be interesting next month when the rebrand of Mays deal appears.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:30 AM

703 posts, read 448,151 times
[quote=English Dave;56279709]

Tried buying a home in a nice area, and the cost?

I share some of your concerns about immigration Dave but they certainly aren't the cause of high house prices. That's caused by the government's refusal to accept the need for social housing and their idealogical desire to create a home owning society - and predictably failing.
Misguided schemes such as 'help to buy' together with relaxed credit has ecouraged buiding firms to build houses beyond the reach of many which has resulted in a price spiral.
Make no mistake - the tories have wrecked the housing market, with the delicate balance between prices and wages gone for good.

If you blame everything on immigrants your argument becomes less credible.
By the same token your assertion recently that we should leave the EU 'whatever the cost' shows no moderation and therefore lacks credibility.

By definition that means it would be worth it if our economy collapsed completely, and that view I think would receive zero support. Most people would file it under 'fanatical'
Having said all that Dave I genuinely do worry about immigration and I think many who see no harm in unlimited immigration are those least affected by it.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Looks like Nigel is calling for Johnson to resign.

Will be interesting next month when the rebrand of Mays deal appears.

I doubt it will.
I reckon he's still running the clock down for a last minute bid to 'obey the law' and crash out.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post

I don't drink, but I still manage to spout my share of c**p

Old 09-28-2019, 04:04 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I doubt it will.
I reckon he's still running the clock down for a last minute bid to 'obey the law' and crash out.

His focus will be getting to the next general election intact.

If half of yellowhammer comes true in the run up to an election he's done.

Most likely wants someone else to extend so he can wash his hands of it.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:18 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
[quote=geoff956;56282983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Tried buying a home in a nice area, and the cost?

I share some of your concerns about immigration Dave but they certainly aren't the cause of high house prices. That's caused by the government's refusal to accept the need for social housing and their idealogical desire to create a home owning society - and predictably failing.
Misguided schemes such as 'help to buy' together with relaxed credit has ecouraged buiding firms to build houses beyond the reach of many which has resulted in a price spiral.
Make no mistake - the tories have wrecked the housing market, with the delicate balance between prices and wages gone for good.

If you blame everything on immigrants your argument becomes less credible.
By the same token your assertion recently that we should leave the EU 'whatever the cost' shows no moderation and therefore lacks credibility.

By definition that means it would be worth it if our economy collapsed completely, and that view I think would receive zero support. Most people would file it under 'fanatical'
Having said all that Dave I genuinely do worry about immigration and I think many who see no harm in unlimited immigration are those least affected by it.
Geoff, the last thing I am is a fanatic. I am brutally honest in my opinions, and how I see things. I have watched this country's slow slide downhill for 50 years. I don't know how old you are, but to remember a very different England, you need to be pretty old. I remember an England before invasion, not just by EU citizens, but by those who came before them.

I use my eyes, and see the results of earlier invasions. It isn't a pretty sight. Whole towns and cities changed beyond recognition. 'Diversity' and multiculturalism' in all it's pomp and glory. It is a mess.

On top of that, we have had invasion from Eastern Europe, which continues as I type. Brexit scared them off? Don't make me laugh. A continuing invasion of hundreds of thousands of people year in, year out. How is any society supposed to house such numbers without end? Plus there has been no real effort to house these people. Can you imagine how many homes would have to be built annually to do so? Instead, we have overcrowding, landlords charging whatever rent comes into their heads, and new homes priced out of the reach of most ordinary working people.

Mass immigration is the root cause of most of the problems in our society. Whether it is places in schools, or folks trying to get to work on overcrowded roads and trains, or housing the ever growing population. It has to be brought under control. Nothing is more important for the future of this country. Nothing.

If it continues, we are heading for civil strife unseen before in this country. It is a ticking time bomb. The anger unleashed by the Brexit vote has been building for decades. We will see more pain and anger in the upcoming General Election. Millions of people are furious at all politicians, and are losing faith in the political system. I don't know what direction we're heading in, but I see civil war down the line, unless a grip is got on this situation. We need politicians with vision, and brutal honesty in their outlook, to try and stop disaster overtaking this country.

I repeat again. Nothing is more important than slowing the population growth in this country. We need a breathing space, and time to plan to house the bloated population. We have to give ordinary folks some hope. Without hope disaster awaits us.

What is Labour's answer to this crisis? According to Jeremy Corbyn, ever more immigration, with the gates flung open to all. This is what we're dealing with. Politicans blinded by idealism, having a sort of death wish. Anyone speaking out against this madness are called racists and fanatics. Our children brainwashed in schools, and told how wonderful it all is. Our soap operas a sort of opium for the people, showing multiculturalism as a land of plenty and happiness. The truth is very different.

George Orwell wrote, 'if liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people, what they do not want to hear.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom