Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,619,028 times

Advertisements

what worries me is if somehow they force us to have a second referendum which is one of the possibilities that have been mentioned on news reports, this would make a mockery of the first one.
May hasn't got a hope in hell of getting the deal through parliament, which means on the 30th March we leave the EU, not "crash out" as people have said, we just leave with a no deal and operate on WTO terms, sure the economy will take a hit but it will bounce back and we will be better off out of the United States of Europe, its looking more like the 4th Reich every day what with talk of their EU Army and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 AM

according to the Daily Express today:
Brexit no deal is on the table, plans for a no deal will be put into action IMMEDIATELY if the May plan fails to go through parliament.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:07 AM

1,129 posts, read 471,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It's over. We're just waiting for the fat lady to sing.

May has no chance of getting her deal through Parliament. Like a drunk, she is clinging on, hoping somehow, someway, by using fear of consequences, politicians will vote for it. It isn't going to happen, the deal is just too bad.

It will be voted down, and then chaos will reign. The EU will either gave way on some concessions, or they won't. Simple as that.

There is no leader in waiting. No saviour with all the answers. Are the EU prepared to do themselves great damage, in order to teach us, and any other countries thinking of leaving the EU a lesson? We will have to wait and see.

We have to prepare for crashing out as best we can. We have a leader who refuses to believe it's going to happen. We are in big trouble, but have to face it, and see it through.
I agree with everything bar the last paragraph

When it is rejected the only way forward will be the inevitable peoples vote, this time, based on facts and reality not the lies and pipe dreams of 2016

If the UK votes out then knowing the facts that´s that, nobody should say a word because that will be the true will of the people.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 AM

the vote in 2016 was the true vote of the people, its just that over 2 years later some people still wont accept it, "the peoples vote" is the last tactic of a scoundrel, seeing as its led by the likes of Tony B. Liar I dont feel I have to say any more.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the vote in 2016 was the true vote of the people, its just that over 2 years later some people still wont accept it, "the peoples vote" is the last tactic of a scoundrel, seeing as its led by the likes of Tony B. Liar I dont feel I have to say any more.
The vote in 2016 was anything but a vote of the people, most were mugged over by Farage and Johnson, both ran away when they realised that they had caused untold damage.

The vote was akin to you being asked by your friend if you want to have a night out and you say yes.

Once your friend pulls up in his car he hands you a gun and a balaclava and he says, right we are off on a robbing and raping

Any sensible person would get out of the car, only muppets would go along for the ride !

Old 11-29-2018, 03:29 AM

the vote was a fair vote, it was a choice of staying in the EU or leaving, the majority chose to leave, this is how voting happens in this country, its a majority decision, most people knew how they were going to vote long before voting day, anyone who didn't vote probably didn't care anyway, I know of a lot of people who just don't care about politics and don't vote, even members of my family-in laws that is, " too busy to have an opinion" is usually the excuse.
it looks like a no deal WTO rules if this deal is voted down, which is what everybody I talk to voted for not this pathetic deal of May's, another vote just isn't being considered anyway, certainly not by the government and they are the ones who have the final say, no matter what are "the noises off".

Old 11-29-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the vote was a fair vote, it was a choice of staying in the EU or leaving, the majority chose to leave, this is how voting happens in this country, its a majority decision, most people knew how they were going to vote long before voting day, anyone who didn't vote probably didn't care anyway, I know of a lot of people who just don't care about politics and don't vote, even members of my family-in laws that is, " too busy to have an opinion" is usually the excuse.
it looks like a no deal WTO rules if this deal is voted down, which is what everybody I talk to voted for not this pathetic deal of May's, another vote just isn't being considered anyway, certainly not by the government and they are the ones who have the final say, no matter what are "the noises off".

I think both sides can agree that this deal is awful no matter how you look at it and both sides are hoping for it to be voted down.

Brexiteers will be hoping this will lead to walking away with no deal at all and crashing out of the EU

Remainer´s will be hoping this will lead to a peoples vote which will in turn keep the UK in the EU on its current terms.

Only time will tell which way it will go for sure.

I disagree that the government will be the ones having the final say, they are all in the pockets of big business who have made their feeling very clear on walking away with no deal at all.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:09 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,521,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I think both sides can agree that this deal is awful no matter how you look at it and both sides are hoping for it to be voted down.

Brexiteers will be hoping this will lead to walking away with no deal at all and crashing out of the EU

Remainer´s will be hoping this will lead to a peoples vote which will in turn keep the UK in the EU on its current terms.

Only time will tell which way it will go for sure.

I disagree that the government will be the ones having the final say, they are all in the pockets of big business who have made their feeling very clear on walking away with no deal at all.
I'm old-fashioned.
I like to think that the voters have the final say,which they did two years ago on a promise from the Government to deliver their choice.
I dread to think of the effect on Britain if it's not.You can expect a sharp spike in extremist politicians and the Tories being out of office for a decade.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I agree with everything bar the last paragraph

When it is rejected the only way forward will be the inevitable peoples vote, this time, based on facts and reality not the lies and pipe dreams of 2016

If the UK votes out then knowing the facts that´s that, nobody should say a word because that will be the true will of the people.
There will not be another vote. The government know very well the anger such a thing would bring to the streets. We voted, and we voted to leave. Another vote would be very close either way. There would not be a landslide to remain. All it would do would cause festering wounds, refusing to heal.

We should have been preparing to crash out of the EU ever since the vote. I argued over two years ago on this board that we would never get any sort of worthwhile trade deal from the EU. The purpose was always to hurt us as a warning to anyone else getting any leaving the EU ideas.

All the talking has been pointless. The deal on the table is no use to anybody. Theresa can push it all she wants, and project fear is in full flow. She hasn't got the numbers, yet still she continues wasting her breath. It looks like any future leadership prospects want her to take the fall for this fiasco. They will throw her away like yesterdays newspaper after the vote in Parliament.

Then there will be a leadership contest which will take weeks. The EU will watch in astonishment as we move the chairs on the Titanic. They then have three choices. They can offer some concessions and hope it will then get through another vote in Parliament. Or, they will hope for some kind of miracle to keep us in the EU. Or........ there will be some last minute stitch up deal in March, extending the deadline for us leaving the EU.

We all have a lot to lose here. Us most of all, but if we crash out, the EU won't escape unscathed. They sell us far more than we sell them. Cracks will start to appear in their unified facade. We have to hold our nerve. Nobody has ever stood up to the EU before. In the end, they always get their way. If a vote in the past hasn't gone their way, they have forced another one. This time, it will dawn on them, sooner or later, there isn't going to be another vote. Let's see what happens when they realise they're not going to get their way this time.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:29 AM

We are all obviously pushing our own preferred outcomes and none of this is going to change the outcome of where we will be in a year’s time, we are just all venting.

If we look at the facts though and take away personal preferences certain things should give us an idea of the final outcome.

I have said like most people that the vote was too simply, in or out, it´s not at all simple like that at all and no arguing is going to change that fact so out mean out is not an argument.

After 40 years of pretty much total integration in the EU, leaving was always going to be complicated at best but probably impossible when you look at the potential damage this would cause financially to the country for so little gain if there ever was any gain.

The majority of MP´s who were voted in to represent the best interests of the constituents voted to remain in the EU, these MPs have a lot more information on the workings of the EU and the benefits to the UK of being in the EU than those voting to leave, some respect should be given for their judgement , the majority of these MPs today would still vote remain given the chance.

The largest of the UKs employers believe that the UK would be better off staying in the UK rather than any type of Brexit, these businesses also pay a hell of a lot into political parties giving them a lot of clout when it comes down to decision making.

The hardcore Brexiteer Mps are really in the minority clearly shown by their inability to gain any traction whenever they try, they have no plan at all to offer and walking away just doesn’t sit easy with either MPs or the public at large faced with the real world reality of what this entails.

Teresa Mays was given a terrible job to see through something that was impossible to deliver from the start, she’s tried her best to placate as many people as possible with her deal with a mix of all things for all people which satisfies none.

The politicians and Business will not allow the UK to crash out of the EU for very obvious reasons .

If and when the deal on offer is rejected, it leaves Theresa May with little room to manoeuvre at all without the support of Parliament and UK business she cannot walk away with a deal.

She’s left with two alternatives, resign which result in a split in her party which may hand the keys to number 10 directly to Corbyn and Corbyn will be forced into a peoples vote by his party and union sponsors.

She could concede defeat and throw it back to the people.

Ultimately we are all plebs whose opinion means nothing in the big scheme of things, Big business and Money rule the economy and the world and if they say the UK´s staying in the EU that’s exactly what will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom