Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Plus, as leave won the last one, we should have some say in who actually gets a vote. I'll list again the conditions leave voters want to see.

Just British born citizens getting the vote.

No gerrymandering, like trying to lower the voting age to 16. This is too serious for snot nosed kids.

No Britons living abroad.

No fancy leaflets pushing for remain like last time, which cost £9 million of taxpayers money.

The EU keep their big gobs out of it, and no more Project Fear shoved down our throats.

Under those rules, leave will win again.
Pretty sure that excluding naturalised citizens would be illegal.

Why not just ban anybody likely to vote remain, that's what it looks like you want to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 AM

27,529 posts, read 13,741,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
As opposed to the likes of Farage, Boris, Rees-Mogg, Tommy Robinson, Rupert Murdoch, Aaron Banks etc?

There's nothing undemocratic about getting further input from the people once the various realistic options have been clarified, quite the opposite.

It's a bit like if I asked my five pet dogs to vote on whether they want to Remain at home or Leave and go walkies.

They vote 3-2 to leave the house and go walkies so I take them for a walk. A while later we end up at a puppy fur farm where the owner is offering them a cage to live in, i tell them that I couldn't figure out how to get anywhere else so this where we were now going. 'Hang on a minute' they say, not sure this is what we agreed to, any chance of voting again. I tell them no, that would be undemocratic and a betrayal of the original vote to go walkies.
Can I get it through to you that a peoples vote ididn't get through the Commons just as May's deal didn't, indeed May's deal has more chance of getting through that a peoples vote when she wheels it out for a fourth time just before April 12th.

It's not going to happen, the Tories aren't for, and the DUP want to continue to hold the balance of power, so don't want anything to change.

In the meantime the clock is ticking and the EU now want this resolved, it's either going to have to be May's deal, an EFTA Style Norway Customs Union (which is unlikely) or a hard brexit.

All the talk of revoking Article 50 and a second vote is not going to get through Parlianent, with the current make up of the house, and there is no chance of the Tories or DUP wanting an election, indeed many Labour ,P's don't really want an election.

We need to be preparing for a hard Brexit, which is what the EU is doing, and the EU wants this sorted out and for the uncertainty to stop, so any extension beyond the 12th April is looking incrasingly unlikely, and Macron has already stated he doesn't want any extension.

Once we leave we can put temporary measures in place and try and work out a trade deal, which is in the interest of both the EU and UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-30-2019 at 07:16 AM..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:11 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Another analogy is saying to a group of friends on Monday we are going out this weekend for dinner on Friday, where do you fancy Chinese or Indian, 3 out of five say Chinese and that's agreed, during the week you find out the Chinese you had picked has recently be closed down for food hygiene violations and found to have served cats instead of chicken

You all have a discussion but decide continue to the Chinese because that's what you agreed on Monday

Old 03-30-2019, 07:16 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A second vote failed to gain a majority in the Commons, as did revoking Article 50 and they are even less likely to get throgh than May's deal.

A customs union style Norway deal also failed to get a majority, as did the Malthouse compromise, indeed last Wednesday the Commons couldn't agree or get an agreement on eight resolutions and May's deal has been voted against on 3 occassions now, although she might yet put another version of it before the House before the 12th April.

May has avoided a Tory party vote to replace her, and this can't happen again until the end of this year, whilst a vote of no-confidence has already failed and is very unlikely to succeed given the numbers in the commons at the moment.

It's time to start preparing for a no-deal, as that's where we are heading, and many in the EU are now stating that the best thing to do is to end the uncertainty, and for Britain to leave on the 12th April, after which we can put temporary measdures in place and start negotiations on the nest stage, which is an actual trade deal.

At this point Theresa May can stand down, and the Tories can look for a new leader.

It's pointless going round and round in circles, and an extension is unlikely to do any good at all given the votes over the last week, and I don't see anything changing on Monday or next week.
Quote:
Two hundred and sixty eight MPs backed a new public vote, with 295 opposed: that makes 47.6 per cent in favour – fewer than support a customs union, but more than May's deal. Having been dismissed by many since June 2016, a second referendum is now a genuine possibility.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...erendum-brexit

It's the only option, take away all the crap and puffing out of chests and you are left with just one very sensible option.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Pretty sure that excluding naturalised citizens would be illegal.

Why not just ban anybody likely to vote remain, that's what it looks like you want to do!
I have stated what I want as conditions for a second referendum. I would think many leavers would agree with my statement.

Citizenship has been handed out like candy for decades. Rush 'em through is the name of the game. The British born know very well how we have been sold down the river by politicians for decades. Well, we've had enough. The cry babies want another vote, in which this time, they promise to put their phones down, and actually vote? That's one of the conditions. Just real British people.

I don't want to ban any British born people from voting remain. That's their choice. I just want real British people doing the voting. Tell the Irish citizens living here to take a hike as well.

If the Scots vote leave again, then tell 'em they can also leave the Union at the same time. May as well kill two birds with one stone. Same with Ulster. You want to remain in the EU? No more English taxpayers money for you.

That should concentrate minds, and ensure a big enough gap to leave, to shut them up once and for all. Well maybe not the kids........ nothing will stop them crying like babies. "Will my phone still work if we leave the EU?"

Oh, and increase the voting age to 21. Time the adults took charge here.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Another analogy is saying to a group of friends on Monday we are going out this weekend for dinner on Friday, where do you fancy Chinese or Indian, 3 out of five say Chinese and that's agreed, during the week you find out the Chinese you had picked has recently be closed down for food hygiene violations and found to have served cats instead of chicken

You all have a discussion but decide continue to the Chinese because that's what you agreed on Monday
Talking of eating out here's a classic example of Brexit Derangement Syndrome from today's Irish Times served up as a restaurant review.
I collect these like some people collect stamps although it's much more amusing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...34019?mode=amp

Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
Quote:
Can I get it through to you that a peoples vote ididn't get through the Commons just as May's deal didn't, indeed May's deal has more chance of getting through that a peoples vote when she wheels it out for a fourth time just before April 12th.

It's not going to happen, the Tories aren't for, and the DUP want to continue to hold the balance of power, so don't want anything to change.

In the meantime the clock is ticking and the EU now want this resolved, it's either going to have to be May's deal, an EFTA Style Norway Customs Union (which is unlikely) or a hard brexit.
No deal Brexit has also been rejected though, as has EFTA/Norway and May's deal, so while they have all been rejected they are all going to keep trying.

The no-deal was rejected most heavily though, the only way that is going to happen is if the EU basically imposes it due to running out of time and one or more countries vetoing an extension. Could be Macron who pulls the plug perhaps. So much for 'taking back control' when the French president might effectively decide the future course of the UK in a direction that the UK parliament has decisively rejected!

Old 03-30-2019, 07:21 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:

Who are you oh wise one? Must be college educated with all these ologies.......... Educated idiots we called them when I was young.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...erendum-brexit

It's the only option, take away all the crap and puffing out of chests and you are left with just one very sensible option.
Except a majority of MPs don't agree with it and Britain's leading polling guru Prof John Curtice says there has been no movement in polls towards a second vote.
It's the last pathetic whine of Remoaners refusing to accept defeat.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:24 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
Going off the HoC recent voting habits the most likely state, even after a no deal would be a customs union or EEA membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom