Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:14 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
You're a bit late to the party Roscoe....

Apologies, old chap.
Just come in from a rather splendid lunch with some old chums and hadn't read through all the posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 09:15 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
On the plus side once Parliament is dissolved and the election is underway broadcasters will be legally obliged to be neutral.
That's a hard pill to swallow for the anti-Brexit Sky News and BBC.

Labour voters don't like the rain and cold, and will be even more distracted by Christmas, so Labour is already looking at a low turn out, and people will be too busy to bother with the election coverage.

Labour is also going to have problemns with the Lib Dems taking the vote in some of it's key seats.

As for the MP's, they cease to become MP's once the election becomes official, and of course the BBC and other TV coverage must be impartial and meet OFCOM and Electoral Commission rules

Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Yes they are, but like Gungnir, you're making the incorrect assumption that citizenship and voting rights are co-terminus, they're not. You and Gungnir of all people should know that.
I did make that assumption and was rightly called out on it by Gungnir.

This is why citizenship isn't really fit for the modern world, people travel, put down roots and become part of communities around the world and denying them a say in their adopted community that they are very much part of is definitely going to be challenged in the future.

I would expect the EU to lead on this in the not too distant future and legislate for permanent residents to be able to vote in their adopted countries national elections.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Labour voters don't like the rain and cold, and will be even more distracted by Christmas, so Labour is already looking at a low turn out, and people will be too busy to bother with the election coverage.

Labour is also going to have problemns with the Lib Dems taking the vote in some of it's key seats.

As for the MP's, they cease to become MP's once the election becomes official, and of course the BBC and other TV coverage must be impartial and meet OFCOM and Electoral Commission rules
Plus will the kids put their phones down long enough to go and vote. I can see it now......... 18 year old empty head considering going out in the rain to vote, or stay warm indoors staring at his phone......

'Oh geez, this is important. I really must go and vote....... what's that........ a party tonight at number 25...... well, it is Christmas......what was I thinking about before? I've forgot........'

What's that. The Conservatives won! Why didn't someone drive me to the Polling Station!!! I didn't want to get my new coat wet..........

Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 AM

391 posts, read 196,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I did make that assumption and was rightly called out on it by Gungnir.

This is why citizenship isn't really fit for the modern world, people travel, put down roots and become part of communities around the world and denying them a say in their adopted community that they are very much part of is definitely going to be challenged in the future.

I would expect the EU to lead on this in the not too distant future and legislate for permanent residents to be able to vote in their adopted countries.
Before allowing non citizens to vote, EU will have to prevent countries from withdrawing the right to vote from existing citizens.
Gungnir says he was in the US for 20 years. Then he no longer has the right to vote in the UK, unless he reapplies.
Same for anyone outside the UK for longer than 15 years. UK takes away your vote, but you remain a citizen. The two are not co-terminus.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:29 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
There have been two post-WW2 winter elections and both had high turnouts.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
There have been two post-WW2 winter elections and both had high turnouts.
Yeah, but that's in the days when folks considered voting a duty Roscoe. Things are different today. The weather will be a big consideration.

A good thing is the empty headed kids will be distracted by the approaching Christmas festivities.

'Like....... it looks like Brexit is going to happen like. We did our best, but, like, I've got better things to do than go voting in like, the rain.'

The old folks will turn out en mass..........they know how important this vote is........

Old 10-30-2019, 09:36 AM

2,264 posts, read 973,126 times
Children voting? Not a problem. Non-citizens voting? Done. Voting by mail? Hey, it’s the 21st century, isn’t it?

Voting online though? Don’t even want to talk about that. Wouldn’t be secure. Sure, the entire financial system, national defense, and the power grid are on secure networks but once we take the training wheels off government people might get the wrong idea that they don’t even need middlemen like Parliament and lying politicians anymore and then the sky would surely fall.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Before allowing non citizens to vote, EU will have to prevent countries from withdrawing the right to vote from existing citizens.
Gungnir says he was in the US for 20 years. Then he no longer has the right to vote in the UK, unless he reapplies.
Same for anyone outside the UK for longer than 15 years. UK takes away your vote, but you remain a citizen. The two are not co-terminus.
Exactly, I lost my right to vote in the UK for being out of the country for more than 15 years, you must be able to vote somewhere ? makes sense its the country you're resident in.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Plus will the kids put their phones down long enough to go and vote. I can see it now......... 18 year old empty head considering going out in the rain to vote, or stay warm indoors staring at his phone......

'Oh geez, this is important. I really must go and vote....... what's that........ a party tonight at number 25...... well, it is Christmas......what was I thinking about before? I've forgot........'

What's that. The Conservatives won! Why didn't someone drive me to the Polling Station!!! I didn't want to get my new coat wet..........

Totally Agree, they will be too busy on their phones to vote and most couldn't even find the local polling station.

Labour are also up in arms over the recent proposed legislation which will make voters produce ID, as this could also diminish their vote.

No other country allows foreign nationals to vote and you have to remain in further education or training until 18 these days.

You can't drink in a pub until you are 18, you can't smoke and you can't be deployed to the military frontline, whilst driving tests now include a paper as wel,l as a practical meaning that you are likly to be 18 before you pass, so why should you be able to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom