Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 05:10 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
It would have been better to have a straightforward referendum to resolve Brexit but it is what it is.

A General Election will be a referendum in all but name.

Going to be a load of rubbish being spewed by all sides for the next few weeks, probably best to tun off the telly and internet for a while.....
That was made patently clear yesterday in the amendment to change voter selection to include 16-18 year olds, and EU residents (but not UK citizens).

It wasn't even a veiled attempt, it was brazen.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:10 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
On the plus side once Parliament is dissolved and the election is underway broadcasters will be legally obliged to be neutral.
That's a hard pill to swallow for the anti-Brexit Sky News and BBC.
Yeah....... Question Time on the telly, will actually have to have a proper share of Brexit supporters on their panels!!....

The fear campaign are cranking up as I type. It's going to be a brutal six week campaign.

I just wish Boris Johnson could get Nigel Farage onside, but sadly, Nigel thinks the deal negotiated by Boris is a bad one, and still wants a clean break Brexit.

I support him in that, but it just isn't going to happen. I want Nigel fighting with Boris Johnson, rather than against him. We don't need any split in the Brexit vote.

I am hoping for some remain politician to come knocking on my door, so we can have a nice chat....... It probably won't happen though. Many of them are just frightened to death of the public right now.

It'll probably be a strange campaign with politicians only speaking in public, with lots of police protection. I understand their fear, but they only have themselves to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That was made patently clear yesterday in the amendment to change voter selection to include 16-18 year olds, and EU residents (but not UK citizens).

It wasn't even a veiled attempt, it was brazen.
Yes, it sure was. Wanting to give the vote on such important matters to 16 year old kids, most still at school.

The very idea of EU citizens living in my country, being given a General Election vote amazed me. These people have no shame at all. Anything to get their way.

This is what we're dealing with in this country today. It is very unnerving for the future.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:31 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, it sure was. Wanting to give the vote on such important matters to 16 year old kids, most still at school.

The very idea of EU citizens living in my country, being given a General Election vote amazed me. These people have no shame at all. Anything to get their way.

This is what we're dealing with in this country today. It is very unnerving for the future.
I was under the impression that EU citizens living in the UK and registered to vote can do so ?

https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-...ean-parliament

I can understand why some people want 16 year old's to vote upon being in the EU, because any decisions made today will be felt for a generation, equally there is the argument for, do 16 year old's really understand all the implications of Brexit ?, although this can be argued about many demographics of the UK including older folk.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that EU citizens living in the UK and registered to vote can do so ?

I can understand why some people want 16 year old's to vote upon being in the EU, because any decisions made today will be felt for a generation, equally there is the argument for, do 16 year old's really understand all the implications of Brexit ?, although this can be argued about many demographics of the UK including older folk.
No, EU citizens living in the UK, are not allowed to vote in a UK General Election, and neither should they be allowed to do so.

16 year old school kids should not be allowed to vote in any elections. They are too young to understand the complexities of the issues. That goes for many adults as well of course, but there we are........

Don't you start your anti older folk rhetoric britinspain..........

You would have to take my ballot paper from my aged, dead hand.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
No, EU citizens living in the UK, are not allowed to vote in a UK General Election, and neither should they be allowed to do so.

16 year old school kids should not be allowed to vote in any elections. They are too young to understand the complexities of the issues. That goes for many adults as well of course, but there we are........

Don't you start your anti older folk rhetoric britinspain..........

You would have to take my ballot paper from my aged, dead hand.

Boris needs the election before a cold snap and the subsequent passing of a large number of his supporters.....

Old 10-30-2019, 06:15 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:

EU citizens can vote in EU elections and council elections, not general elections.

If you're worried about generation issues why limit it to 16 year olds old enough to breath old enough to vote. Because really the infants are going to be impacted by bad decisions of everyone older than them, and they're disenfranchised.

Of course there's an alternative, require a civics and current events test, before permitting voting require re-testing every 10 years. Will at least get more likelihood of understanding politics of any sort.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Boris needs the election before a cold snap and the subsequent passing of a large number of his supporters.....
I'll try and keep myself warm britinspain........ Plus, I have a postal ballot, so won't need to go out in the cold December 12th.......

Old 10-30-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
EU citizens can vote in EU elections and council elections, not general elections.

If you're worried about generation issues why limit it to 16 year olds old enough to breath old enough to vote. Because really the infants are going to be impacted by bad decisions of everyone older than them, and they're disenfranchised.

Of course there's an alternative, require a civics and current events test, before permitting voting require re-testing every 10 years. Will at least get more likelihood of understanding politics of any sort.
Similarly the Brexit referendum on Europe could be argued should have needed real knowledge of the debate rather than an old fashioned lynching the way it was held.

I would imagine though that anyone living in the UK legally with a permanent residence and paying tax would have a legal challenge for being denied a vote in what is now their home country.

I hope this doesn't open up legal challenges to slow down an election but is an interesting point that will need addressing at some point.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:25 AM

Boy, Boris and Jeremy are biting chunks out of each other in PM Questions Time.

It's going to get real nasty. It's a real bear pit in Parliament.

Can't wait.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom