Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 571,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
And then again a lot of people like more densely populated places, which is why more people live in London than in the Scottish Highlands, or in Singapore rather than Borneo. Being in a densely populated place gives you access to all sorts of culture, different people, interesting things to see and do, architecture, different ideas etc. That's why all the most creative hubs in the world are big urban areas.

And in those creative urban areas most people seem fine with migration, those kind of places all pretty much voted remain in the referendum when if what you say is true about population density they should be the ones suffering the most. The people in those places don't seem to see it that way. Just invest in public services and infrastructure and the problems you mention need not be a big issue. If they are an issue then it's because investment has not been good enough.
I don't think people voted to remain because they love overpopulation and want to keep the UK overpopulated. They voted to remain for other reasons I would say. Or they did not make the connection between overpopulation and the EU migrants. OR they are so used to it they don't realise how it impacts them (and if you Google it, you'll see it does impact on peoples' health to live in a densely populated area.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 05:18 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
So basically you know what is good for them better than they know themselves?

Old 08-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So basically you know what is good for them better than they know themselves?
I'm going off the British remainers I know personally (some city dwellers) and why they felt strongly about remain. None of the people I know said they want England to be overpopulated. That part is missing the point.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:23 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
That's great, if you achieve Brexit and you've got nothing to eat, send me a pm and I'll send you some from my garden, they may get stopped at the border so maybe soggy but I'm sure once they are cooked you'll get some benefit and taste just fine...
You know perfectly well that I'm a US citizen.

Have you never seen banana leaves being used in PBS cooking shows? I'd bet that they're available in the produce department in your friendly neighborhood Publix.

FYI, foods that are going to be pit roasted and grilled are wrapped in the banana leaves.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I'm going off the British remainers I know personally (some city dwellers) and why they felt strongly about remain. None of the people I know said they want England to be overpopulated. That part is missing the point.
But they clearly don't see the population to be a big issue like you seem to. Otherwise they would have voted leave.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
But they clearly don't see the population to be a big issue like you seem to. Otherwise they would have voted leave.
I think you're seeing this in terms that are too black and white.

For most people I know who voted, voting leave or remain is not that you believe in all of the reasons to leave or all of the reasons to remain.

For example, I voted leave but I struggled with the part of leaving which would possibly mean less cooperation with our European neighbours when it comes to sharing information when it comes to crime. In the end, we all do an assessment of which principles or reasons are most important to us and then weigh up, consciously or less consciously.

For me, there are too many pros to leaving vs. cons, but I can see the cons to leaving. I just care about sovereignty and overpopulation more. Brits like to moan about the overcrowding, I don't think there are many people who see it as a non issue over here in the south, but I think in the end they have weighed it up and decided they ultimately care more about something else. That doesn't mean it's something that doesn't get on peoples' nerves.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:08 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
London is the most densely populated region of the UK and they voted overwhelmingly to remain. Most densely populated places in the SE voted remain, the most densely populated city in the SE (Bristol) voted remain. Population density has nothing to do with it. Does Singapore have a worse standard of living than Mongolia just because it is more densely populated? Nonsense. It's all about the investment, if you invest properly in infrastructure and services that is the key, if you vote against investment as a country then you will be screwed, whatever the population density.
But you didn't answer the poster's genuine question about where you live ....

Old 08-28-2019, 06:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
Quote:
"Bringing sovereignty back to parliament" my a***

This is the complete opposite of what the Brexiteers have claimed they wanted all this time, it's effectively a coup by the executive to take sovereign decision making powers away from parliament for one of the most important periods in its history.
Something that should never have been sanctioned by The Queen. (supposedly above politics?) An attack on the democratic process conducted in The Mother of Parliaments.
Surely the parliament's function is to thrash out policy and not be rode rough shot over? An example of what we can expect under Boris and his hard right wing? One can but imagine the future. A nation where already British workers have fewer rights than most of EU nations still too many with the cleverly created agenda of those behind Brexit.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
But you didn't answer the poster's genuine question about where you live ....
I'm guessing St Petersburg/Leningrad.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:38 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,036,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This turn of events has put you in a real bad mood britinspain. I can tell.........
The turn of events should awaken the nation to what lays ahead. The fact that Tory deregulationists were driving the Leave campaign should be warning enough that it was not the average Brit in mind by a long straw in this process. The truth is not about Taking Control so much as Avoid be Held to Account. Latest measures Boris to suspend Parliament just further underlines this. Forget about transparency and being held to account. Even the curvature of bananas hardly makes a sound case to leave EU, even if it does add a little light relief to what at the end of the day is something of a sordid affair built largely on misrepresentation and porkies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom