Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:23 PM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
It was a simplistic one based on a misreading of the post being quoted. Britinspain never said all trade would be stopped, so it's a strawman argument.
Of course it was not literal, but a lot of trade will stop overnight, and that is literal, anyone sending time critical goods will just stop, that's fruit vegetables, meats, perishable goods, medicines and many other things that will disappear from the UK overnight.

But it'll be ok I'm sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:34 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Roscoe, I don't understand why some people don't understand even if it's put into a trade agreement the chlorinated chicken can be sold to the UK that a store will buy it. They don't want to buy inventory that won't sell.
I find it droll that Remainers are somehow holding up the conditions in which British battery chickens are kept as the gold standard and US is somehow a third world country in the way they rear theirs.
I wonder if they share the same concerns about how African beef is reared before being sold into the EU and UK.
My T-bone steak here in California was superb last night and the wife's chicken was delicious - AND she hasn't developed a third breast yet.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Of course it was not literal, but a lot of trade will stop overnight, and that is literal, anyone sending time critical goods will just stop, that's fruit vegetables, meats, perishable goods, medicines and many other things that will disappear from the UK overnight.

But it'll be ok I'm sure
Yes, it's years since we've tasted New Zealand lamb from the time-critical other side of the world.
Imagine the horror of the customers in the Islington Waitrose when they see that sign " Kumquats - out of stock ".
There'll be rioting on the streets let me tell you ...

Old 08-28-2019, 01:43 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
They won't know, it will only be labeled as 'chicken'.
Um. . .in the US we have ingredient labels, too, y'know.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yes, it's years since we've tasted New Zealand lamb from the time-critical other side of the world.
Imagine the horror of the customers in the Islington Waitrose when they see that sign " Kumquats - out of stock ".
There'll be rioting on the streets let me tell you ...
Great idea, just freeze everything and Brexit will be a roaring success..

Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I eat bananas from Costa Rica.
Apples and oranges from South Africa.
Grapes from Chile.
Avocados from Israel.
Pineapples from Latin America.
I see coconuts in my local supermarket which I'm almost certain don't grow in Europe.
This idea that Britain will be starved of essential foodstuffs after Brexit is yet another Remain lie.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I eat bananas from Costa Rica.
Apples and oranges from South Africa.
Grapes from Chile.
Avocados from Israel.
Pineapples from Latin America.
I see coconuts in my local supermarket which I'm almost certain don't grow in Europe.
This idea that Britain will be starved of essential foodstuffs after Brexit is yet another Remain lie.
And they all come in on the back of the EU trade deal, the UK leaves the trade deal ceases.

Best start an allotment

Old 08-28-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
And they all come in on the back of the EU trade deal, the UK leaves the trade deal ceases.

Best start an allotment
We're back to your original assertion that all imports and exports will cease on a No Deal Brexit.
You know,the one you've failed to explain yet.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:01 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
I've got four legs of lamb in the freezer. All comes from New Zealand. Hard to get Welsh lamb nowadays..... they sell it to the Europeans who will pay more for it.

It'll be nice to get Welsh lamb again after Brexit.......

There may well be shortages. I have stocked up on bacardi, gin, vodka, and Jack Daniels........

Old 08-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
We're back to your original assertion that all imports and exports will cease on a No Deal Brexit.
You know,the one you've failed to explain yet.
All the UK trade deals are EU trade deals, you leave the EU you leave the trade deals, you revert to wto terms and pay 10% immediately on all imports and exports, the pound goes through the floor so in real terms it's a hell of a lot more.

Does that explain things a little better ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom