Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM

1,153 posts, read 569,187 times

Advertisements

MnM258 - My question to you is, where do you live/have you lived in the UK? What is the traffic like there and do you struggle to get a doctor's appointment? I think you sound a bit clueless about the state of the south east and south west England. Rats in a cage on top of one another is about right. If you've only lived in the Highlands, anywhere in Scotland or in the north, you don't really know what it's like down here in the most densely populated areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 PM

1,877 posts, read 680,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
So on top of people on this thread insinuating I am a white supremacist on this thread for being a Brexiter, I'm also being called an exaggerator. It is no exaggeration - I live in an over-populated area in the south west where it is not unusual to ring your doctor and to be told they cannot give you an appointment at the moment. And where the traffic is very heavy especially during the summer. I see that you remainers are very upset and angry about what is going on at the moment in the UK, hence all the vitriol.

I'm not claiming that Brexit will solve all our problems. I am saying that getting out of the EU can only be a good thing for our over-populated country. Between 200,000-300,000 migrants per year come from the EU to the UK.
You missed the main point of the post you quoted.

The Netherlands is significantly more densely populated than Southwest England, yet they have better transport systems and are not blaming the EU and free movement of EU migrants for any perceived problems with their health system.

Do you not think that might be because over a long period they have chosen to invest more in their infrastructure and public services than voters in the UK have?

Old 08-28-2019, 04:37 PM

Investing in infrastructure AND reducing migration - both are the answer, it's not either/or. I hope Boris Johnson's government will do both.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
MnM258 - My question to you is, where do you live/have you lived in the UK? What is the traffic like there and do you struggle to get a doctor's appointment? I think you sound a bit clueless about the state of the south east and south west England. Rats in a cage on top of one another is about right. If you've only lived in the Highlands, anywhere in Scotland or in the north, you don't really know what it's like down here in the most densely populated areas.
London is the most densely populated region of the UK and they voted overwhelmingly to remain. Most densely populated places in the SE voted remain, the most densely populated city in the SE (Bristol) voted remain. Population density has nothing to do with it. Does Singapore have a worse standard of living than Mongolia just because it is more densely populated? Nonsense. It's all about the investment, if you invest properly in infrastructure and services that is the key, if you vote against investment as a country then you will be screwed, whatever the population density.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
London is the most densely populated region of the UK and they voted overwhelmingly to remain. Most densely populated places in the SE voted remain, the most densely populated city in the SE (Bristol) voted remain. Population density has nothing to do with it. Does Singapore have a worse standard of living than Mongolia just because it is more densely populated? Nonsense. It's all about the investment, if you invest properly in infrastructure and services that is the key, if you vote against investment as a country then you will be screwed, whatever the population density.
I don't agree, I've lived in very sparsely populated countries and it is great, your stress levels are much lower even is the infrastructure is not as good. Overpopulation is hellish. I didn't enjoy my time in Singapore, either, for the same reason.

It's well known that living in densely populated areas is not great for your mental health.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Ok, off to Siberia you go!

Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, off to Siberia you go!
I wouldn't mind it, I love the wilderness. I've lived in the outback and at the end of a dirt road in a tiny town in New Zealand. I would be happy living in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, with human company of course, and a cat or two. But now I am getting off track.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM

Well, you pays your money you takes your choice. If you don't like a densely populated country then don't live in a densely populated country.

Even if all migration stopped tomorrow then the UK would still be among the most densely populated countries for the rest of your life, so if that isn't for you I would look at going to Mongolia or Mauritania instead.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Well, you pays your money you takes your choice. If you don't like a densely populated country then don't live in a densely populated country.

Even if all migration stopped tomorrow then the UK would still be among the most densely populated countries for the rest of your life, so if that isn't for you I would look at going to Mongolia or Mauritania instead.
No, but I feel for my friends and family who stay and encounter the problems. The population at least needs to be kept at current numbers rather than grow. New Zealand has very strict population controls - quotas for migration and it's via a points system. They keep track of who is coming in and what sort of impact there will be on the infrastructure. After going through their system as a migrant I can see that we need to start paying more attention to this in the UK. So that the end result is not going to be, ringing the Dr and being told, sorry no room at the inn.

For the record, this is one of the reasons I left the UK anyway. That and the weather. You don't need to go to Mongolia to get a bit of peace and quiet, the Highlands are nice. Parts of Europe. The Antipodes also but it is a bit far.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 PM

And then again a lot of people like more densely populated places, which is why more people live in London than in the Scottish Highlands, or in Singapore rather than Borneo. Being in a densely populated place gives you access to all sorts of culture, different people, interesting things to see and do, architecture, different ideas etc. That's why all the most creative hubs in the world are big urban areas.

And in those creative urban areas most people seem fine with migration, those kind of places all pretty much voted remain in the referendum when if what you say is true about population density they should be the ones suffering the most. The people in those places don't seem to see it that way. Just invest in public services and infrastructure and the problems you mention need not be a big issue. If they are an issue then it's because investment has not been good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom