Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:32 AM

6,061 posts, read 6,008,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, I was jesting troubadour. I don't hold the Tories in any high esteem. I haven't forgotten the days of Thatcher running amok, with one of her ministers saying, 'unemployment is a price worth paying.' He was talking about unemployment doubling in the first two years of her government, in 1981. My dad was one of those forced into unemployment.

But, Johnson, if he wins the upcoming General Election, will take us out of the EU. Nobody else will. If Labour had the same policy, I would vote for them. They are busy handing out offers of freebies, so who knows, they may not be finished yet. The latest is cutting rail fares by a third, and free travel for under sixteens. If they offer free shopping at ASDA, that may just get them over the winning line.

We shall see on December 12th.
So as long as Britain is removed from the EU, regardless of the mayhem that follows and that Boris bloke who couldn't lie straight, but may well hold the highest office in the nation all is okay? Got it. Good luck with all that. Labour loss of rights. NHS up for grubs. A Tory inspired nation out of Europe with a majority in Parliament with the likes of Boris and Mogg and the rest of the born to rule believers within that party , will likely make the Thatcher era somewhat pedestrian.
Cutting the rail fare makes perfect sense. Get people on rail. Less cars. Reason alone almost the vote for them. Free shopping at ASDA, is silly, something the right wing tabloids would use in an attempt to cloud the waters and voting intentions of working class voters who felt may be inclined to stray to the progressive side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,293,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Why exactly should a small minority reap the rewards and are able to pay far les proportionally of income ?
Do top earners receive more state provided services than lower earners?

If not, then why are they beholden to pay more?

When their labour is more highly valued, they should earn higher incomes. Further what does a wealth gap matter if you are comfortable with your home, luxuries, car, etc.? Does it really matter you're earning £40k and not £400k? It's not like we're running out of money. So is income inequality really relevant to overall prosperity?

Nor is income inequality relevant to taxation, ten people earning £40k pay less gross tax than one person earning £400k. They have 10 personal tax allowances which they're not taxed on, and pay in a lower tax band.

Easy way to reap rewards is to launch your own business, you take your investment and make it work for you, you work 12 hour days too, seven days a week for a couple of years drawing just enough to cover necessities until you grow it into something you can actually gain more than you invest, and have invested. People have asked me what I did to earn $500k in salary, plus up to 100% annual bonus, and stock, and other bennies, answer is simple, I worked 14 hours a day seven days a week for 3-4 years, then the company trusted me with a few billion dollars to build out and deploy our services globally in geo-distributed datacenters (and you can't really have the guy with his hands on $3,000,000,000 first round investment earning $100k, company board members get twitchy with that). Its really not that hard, you just need to turn up and apply yourself.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,453,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
So as long as Britain is removed from the EU, regardless of the mayhem that follows and that Boris bloke who couldn't lie straight, but may well hold the highest office in the nation all is okay? Got it. Good luck with all that. Labour loss of rights. NHS up for grubs. A Tory inspired nation out of Europe with a majority in Parliament with the likes of Boris and Mogg and the rest of the born to rule believers within that party , will likely make the Thatcher era somewhat pedestrian.
Cutting the rail fare makes perfect sense. Get people on rail. Less cars. Reason alone almost the vote for them. Free shopping at ASDA, is silly, something the right wing tabloids would use in an attempt to cloud the waters and voting intentions of working class voters who felt may be inclined to stray to the progressive side.
I see it this way troubadour....... I believe with a passion, we must leave the EU. They are rigid in their belief that free movement is paramount. They don't care we have been overwhelmed by mass migration for decades now. They don't care we haven't enough houses for this growth in population year in, year out.

You go on about cutting fares for the railways is a good idea, as this will get more people using the trains. Have you seen rail stations at 8am? People are forcing their way on to trains, trying to get to work, and paying through the nose to do so. Many end up standing all their journey packed like sardines. So, we need more people on those trains huh?

You seen the roads at 7am? Same thing, roads clogged with too many cars. You ever think why that is? How about mass immigration year in, year out? You been in an NHS hospital recently? Well, I have. Many of the patients are foreigners from eastern Europe especially. You can't get treatment in Romania? Well, just catch a bus or plane to England......... they'll look after ya! You seen the schools? Many full of foreign kids that can't speak English. We can't go on in this way forever. Can't you see that?

If Labour get in, and that stupid bint Diane Abbott gets in the Home Office, what do you think will happen? There won't be a refugee anywhere in the world she won't let in, while Corbyn stands by smiling. They're keeping Abbott well out of the way this time, after the car crash telly interviews she did during the 2017 Election campaign.

Corbyn is a security risk, his sidekick Abbott even mentioned getting rid of MI5. They will borrow money like there is no tomorrow to fund their grand schemes. Sure, I agree the Tories are no great shakes, but Corbyn and Labour would be a financial disaster, and end up getting turfed out in five years or less from now, by a disillusioned public. The public finances would be in ruins.

I don't like it, but the Tories are the only game in town. Look at Corbyn's political history this last 40 years. Take a close look. He isn't fit for the office of Prime Minister. There is only so much of shaking the money tree to do, before we end up in a financial mess, just like 2010 when Labour was last thrown out of office.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:01 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,707,384 times
Quote:
I see it this way troubadour....... I believe with a passion, we must leave the EU. They are rigid in their belief that free movement is paramount. They don't care we have been overwhelmed by mass migration for decades now. They don't care we haven't enough houses for this growth in population year in, year out.

You go on about cutting fares for the railways is a good idea, as this will get more people using the trains. Have you seen rail stations at 8am? People are forcing their way on to trains, trying to get to work, and paying through the nose to do so. Many end up standing all their journey packed like sardines. So, we need more people on those trains huh?

You seen the roads at 7am? Same thing, roads clogged with too many cars. You ever think why that is? How about mass immigration year in, year out? You been in an NHS hospital recently? Well, I have. Many of the patients are foreigners from eastern Europe especially. You can't get treatment in Romania? Well, just catch a bus or plane to England......... they'll look after ya! You seen the schools? Many full of foreign kids that can't speak English. We can't go on in this way forever. Can't you see that?

If Labour get in, and that stupid bint Diane Abbott gets in the Home Office, what do you think will happen? There won't be a refugee anywhere in the world she won't let in, while Corbyn stands by smiling. They're keeping Abbott well out of the way this time, after the car crash telly interviews she did during the 2017 Election campaign.

Corbyn is a security risk, his sidekick Abbott even mentioned getting rid of MI5. They will borrow money like there is no tomorrow to fund their grand schemes. Sure, I agree the Tories are no great shakes, but Corbyn and Labour would be a financial disaster, and end up getting turfed out in five years or less from now, by a disillusioned public. The public finances would be in ruins.

I don't like it, but the Tories are the only game in town. Look at Corbyn's political history this last 40 years. Take a close look. He isn't fit for the office of Prime Minister. There is only so much of shaking the money tree to do, before we end up in a financial mess, just like 2010 when Labour was last thrown out of office.

Less Investment on Railways, Roads, NHS, Schools by successive Conservative Governments might be the reason. Tax Revenue collected from common people is not used for improving it. Poor Infrastructure due to Spending cuts was blamed on immigrants.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Less Investment on Railways, Roads, NHS, Schools by successive Conservative Governments might be the reason. Tax Revenue collected from common people is not used for improving it. Poor Infrastructure due to Spending cuts was blamed on immigrants.
The things I mentioned in my last post were going on long before the Tories came into office in 2010, taking over from a shambles of a Labour government.

I talked of things I have seen with my own eyes. You think we can get more folks on the trains than now? More cars on the roads? More foreign kids in the schools and our hospitals?

We have to cut immigration. We have to start looking after our people, not other countries people. We cannot build the massive amount of homes needed for our people, when foreigners will keep coming demanding them.

We will end up with civil unrest if things don't change. It's time to think about British people, and not the world's refugees.

Simple as that.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,683,321 times
Quote:
The things I mentioned in my last post were going on long before the Tories came into office in 2010, taking over from a shambles of a Labour government.

I talked of things I have seen with my own eyes. You think we can get more folks on the trains than now? More cars on the roads? More foreign kids in the schools and our hospitals?

We have to cut immigration. We have to start looking after our people, not other countries people. We cannot build the massive amount of homes needed for our people, when foreigners will keep coming demanding them.

We will end up with civil unrest if things don't change. It's time to think about British people, and not the world's refugees.

Simple as that.
Earth probably has too many people on it. It took humanity a million years or so to get to a billion people. It took about a hundred years to get to that second billion. We’re now adding about a billion people every 15 years or so. How’s that going to work out for us and our planet in the not so distant future? Capitalism can be a great thing but it typically demands more customers, not less. Maybe Brexit is a bit of a symptom of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM

434 posts, read 248,945 times
Quote:
Well as evidenced by their last 10 years in power and manifesto the Tories are not cutting immigration, are not doing anywhere near enough to halt the decline in public services and are not going on a home building program.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Earth probably has too many people on it. It took humanity a million years or so to get to a billion people. It took about a hundred years to get to that second billion. We’re now adding about a billion people every 15 years or so. How’s that going to work out for us and our planet in the not so distant future? Capitalism can be a great thing but it typically demands more customers, not less. Maybe Brexit is a bit of a symptom of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Well as evidenced by their last 10 years in power and manifesto the Tories are not cutting immigration, are not doing anywhere near enough to halt the decline in public services and are not going on a home building program.
We will end up in a war. That is the future for us, thanks to the politicians who have sold us out in Britain, Europe, and America for 50 years.

The politicians know exactly the reasons for the anger especially in the north of England, and why so many people voted for Brexit.

Immigration, immigration, immigration. That it. The truth. They can say it's this, it's that. Read my lips..... it's immigration, and not just from Europe.

Folks are sick to the back teeth seeing their towns turned into unrecognisable places full of foreigners, and descendants of them. Sick of being told how wonderful diversity and multiculturalism is. Sick of being called racists if they dare say enough. Sick of murders by Muslims in various parts of the country. Sick of hearing the same nonsense from a Muslim London Mayer saying, these murders shall not divide us, and lets hold hands, and light some candles.

Jest fed up of it all.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Do top earners receive more state provided services than lower earners?

If not, then why are they beholden to pay more?

When their labour is more highly valued, they should earn higher incomes. Further what does a wealth gap matter if you are comfortable with your home, luxuries, car, etc.? Does it really matter you're earning £40k and not £400k? It's not like we're running out of money. So is income inequality really relevant to overall prosperity?

Nor is income inequality relevant to taxation, ten people earning £40k pay less gross tax than one person earning £400k. They have 10 personal tax allowances which they're not taxed on, and pay in a lower tax band.

Easy way to reap rewards is to launch your own business, you take your investment and make it work for you, you work 12 hour days too, seven days a week for a couple of years drawing just enough to cover necessities until you grow it into something you can actually gain more than you invest, and have invested. People have asked me what I did to earn $500k in salary, plus up to 100% annual bonus, and stock, and other bennies, answer is simple, I worked 14 hours a day seven days a week for 3-4 years, then the company trusted me with a few billion dollars to build out and deploy our services globally in geo-distributed datacenters (and you can't really have the guy with his hands on $3,000,000,000 first round investment earning $100k, company board members get twitchy with that). Its really not that hard, you just need to turn up and apply yourself.

Well yes it does matter. Good government reaches beyond pure economy. Growing inequality cannot be justified as the top few gain ever more of the riches. Far more than they could conceivably ever have use for, but never tire of seeking more.

The real rich to which I refer, in general do not toil 12 hour days, seven days a week. That being more the toilers of the working class, perhaps working three jobs to make ends meet and unable to swim against the tide in too many cases.

It is not the amount of time or hard one works, as a rule, but the ability to manipulate the system for self interest. Nothing wrong in a sense about that, but lets keep it real. It is not honest hard work that pays for most as mentioned. Also a degree of luck of course required, especially in early stages of wealth creation.
No explanations as to how some of the top CEO's and people of influence, walk away with substantial payouts (and I mean substantial) for failing big time .
Less mortals would be lucky to get a few weeks pay in lieu and find it difficult getting another job for not doing anything close to the damage inflicted by such people.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Life under Boris is not going to be any thing akin to a picnic for the majority. Does Boris give a hoot for anyone but himself? Not on your nelly. In years to come how many will look back with disbelief in what has been done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom