Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 02:47 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,077,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
All very interesting John.
I doubt you understand most of it.
Quote:
So, with Labour being such financial geniuses, they will romp away to victory in this General Election.
The media is right wing for sure. Even you may have figured that out. Also the Russians may still be financing Tory (and US) elections. No smoke without fire. The Tories are as bent as £9 notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Shows just how stupid the British people are huh?
You have a point if they are as ignorant of matters as you are.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:53 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,444,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
What page in the Daily Mail told you that? Who are they? Where are they? Do they have knives in their teeth?
FYI, Marx was an economist, who spent 90% of his time analysing capitalism - never knew that did you? The great thing about the Internet is that you can communicate with people like me. In real life on hearing you for a few minutes in a pub, I would politely tell you I was moving to the other end of the bar rolling my eyes.
I told you John, I don't read newspapers. Is your reading comprehension poor? Do you actually read what I have to say, before you go on a rant?

I know more about Marx than you in your condescending manner like to imply.

I don't go gabbing in pubs about politics, since, oh, the mid 70s. My good friend was treasurer of the local Communist party. He took me to a meeting at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester. Very interesting day out. I heard a speech from Jimmy Reid. I have no doubt you know all about him. I stood up and cheered him, along with everyone else. Very impressive man.

I am a deep thinker on political matters, in as much as my uneducated intelligence can muster. I also watch and listen to politicans for many decades. I am not a stupid pub ranter as you seem to think John. I look around me, and watch and listen.

I see what has been done to my country this last 50 years, and it isn't a pretty sight.

I look at the current Labour party leadership, and what they have done. Many moderate Labour MPs afraid to speak out, for fear of being deselected. I was told a story only yesterday, about a local Labour moderate MP knocking on doors during this election campaign. I don't want to name him for obvious reasons. He asked the householder if he could depend on his vote in the election. He was told no, he could not. Asked for the reason, the householder said one word........ Corbyn. The Labour MP nodded, and said I agree with you, but there is nothing I can do about it.

Corbyn needs slinging out, along with John McDonnell, Diane Abbott, and the rest of them. Maybe then the Labour party can recover from the mess it has got itself into.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Your ignorance is astounding. No doubt a victim of the right wing media snatch. Most probably a Daily Mail/Express reader.
Quote:
You have not a clue.
Quote:
FYI, Marx was an economist, who spent 90% of his time analysing capitalism - never knew that did you? The great thing about the Internet is that you can communicate with people like me. In real life on hearing you for a few minutes in a pub, I would politely tell you I was moving to the other end of the bar rolling my eyes.
Quote:
I doubt you understand most of it.
The media is right wing for sure. Even you may have figured that out.
Quote:
You have a point if they are as ignorant of matters as you are.
I guess you and me are done John.........can't have a discussion with the likes of you.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:08 AM

703 posts, read 447,067 times
Quote:

No thanks John. We have to place our trust in Boris Johnson. I don't say that lightly. Just the best of a bad bunch.

He wouldn't be the best of any bunch Dave, except in a competition to be the UK's worst PM.
I would trust any one of the other leaders over him.

His response to any questioning is to overtalk the interviewer with his pathetic blustering.
He's a disgrace to our country. I shall be voting for Labour - not Jeremy Corbyn but for Labour.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
He wouldn't be the best of any bunch Dave, except in a competition to be the UK's worst PM.

His response to any questioning is to overtalk the interviewer with his pathetic blustering.
He's a disgrace to our country. I shall be voting for Labour - not Jeremy Corbyn but for Labour.
I understand why you're doing so geoff. I just can't do it. Corbyn is just the front man. It's what's behind him that worries me.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:53 AM

703 posts, read 447,067 times
Quote:
I understand why you're doing so geoff. I just can't do it. Corbyn is just the front man. It's what's behind him that worries me.

I can also understand your concerns Dave but in no circumstances would I vote for the Tories.
Corbyn won't last in my opinion and everyone seems to have their eye off the ball - namely, 5 years of the same. For all it's shortcomings the Labour party is the party of the people. The Tory party is the party of the wealthy and has no place in the 21st century.
All the things that involve 'caring' are missing from their mentality in spite of their limp lip service.
When do you hear any of them sound like they really care about homelessness, poverty and other social issues? They'll waffle on endlessly about tax cuts and housing ladders when what we need is tax rises and homes!

They voted against the introduction of the NHS and the minimum wage. (Yes I will keep repeating it)

They support fox hunting - Theresa May wanted to bring it back. They support the disgusting Death Penalty. They are rightly called the 'nasty party' and would be quite happy to run a country of slaves whilst boasting about full employment. When I hear an ordinary working man like me say he's going to vote Tory it makes me weep, because I know they will not speak for him. Never have - never will.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I can also understand your concerns Dave but in no circumstances would I vote for the Tories.
Corbyn won't last in my opinion and everyone seems to have their eye off the ball - namely, 5 years of the same. For all it's shortcomings the Labour party is the party of the people. The Tory party is the party of the wealthy and has no place in the 21st century.
All the things that involve 'caring' are missing from their mentality in spite of their limp lip service.
When do you hear any of them sound like they really care about homelessness, poverty and other social issues? They'll waffle on endlessly about tax cuts and housing ladders when what we need is tax rises and homes!

They voted against the introduction of the NHS and the minimum wage. (Yes I will keep repeating it)

They support fox hunting - Theresa May wanted to bring it back. They support the disgusting Death Penalty. They are rightly called the 'nasty party' and would be quite happy to run a country of slaves whilst boasting about full employment. When I hear an ordinary working man like me say he's going to vote Tory it makes me weep, because I know they will not speak for him. Never have - never will.
Corbyn is 70 years old, and has stated he will serve a full five year term as PM. He hasn't waited all his adult life for this, to walk away half way through it geoff. He will want to serve a full term. He would be the oldest PM we have had since Winston Churchill back in the early 1950s. Churchill had a stroke while PM, and this was kept from the people.

I fear Corbyn is just a puppet for shadowy people in the background. His opinions seem to change from whatever is discussed in committee. He seems to feel he shouldn't have an opinion of his own, but just what is voted for by majority in Labour meetings.

His history of always being ready to talk with terrorists frightens me. He has stated he would never use our nuclear options even if we are attacked first. Then what is the point of it at all under him? He refused only the other day to say if he would agree to the killing of a cornered top terrorist by our security forces.

In power, he would be afraid of doing anything without long discussion. Sometimes, we need someone in power who can make a decision quickly. An example of this, is when Margaret Thatcher was told of the battleship Belgrano being a threat to our navy during the Falklands war. She had to make a fast decision on whether to sink it or not. It was sailing back to safe waters, but could turn around at a later date, and be a very strong threat. Thatcher gave the decision to sink it.

I spent many years angry at that decision.That Argentinian ship was full of young conscripts. But, Thatcher made a decision, and stuck to it. In similar circumstances Corbyn would dither, and want to discuss this with others, until the window of opportunity was gone. He's a pacifist, and do gooder geoff. Maybe real good working in the background, but not as leader and PM.

You say the Labour party is the party of the people. Well, it used to be geoff, but I don't believe so any longer. It has high up MPs like Emily Thornberry, who sneers at the working class. There are few Labour MPs nowadays who actually have worked for a living as normal people, They go to school, then college, and then into local politics, and then national. Most of them have no clue what real life is like for ordinary folks.

I agree totally with you about the Tory attitudes to homelessness and poverty. They pay lip service to helping it, but actually do little. I noticed when I spent time in London in the 70s and 80s, the difference when the Tories were in power, and when Labour was. The homelessness always got worse when the Tories were in power. Especially during Thatcher's reign. Same with the health service. It's always worse, and underfunded when the Tories are in power.

But, they are the only party that are going to get us out of the EU. For me, there is nothing more important than that.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Some sanity on this thread at last. We do not have a presidential system. Unless you are in Islington you will not be voting for Corbyn.
Quote:
the Labour party is the party of the people. The Tory party is the party of the wealthy and has no place in the 21st century.
The Tory party had no place in the 20th century, never mind this one. All it has done is hold back the British people. The first past the post electoral system is a big problem in the UK, as it puts in charge self serving incompetents like the Tories, who have ruled the UK far too often to disastrous results. I vote tactically to keep the Tories out. I am reduced to that level.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:20 AM

35,248 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Some sanity on this thread at last. We do not have a presidential system. Unless you are in Islington you will not be voting for Corbyn.
Except when you vote for the Labour candidate in other constituencies you are voting for him to be given the nod by the Queen to lead the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom