Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 AM

4,708 posts, read 5,093,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The world looks very different in London, than the rest of the country, especially the north.
No it does not. London is not all wealthy and super rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 03:17 AM

703 posts, read 448,151 times
Quote:
10 years of austerity. Most of those years under a Tory government. Cutbacks everywhere. Local councils constantly getting less each year from central government, ensuring they can do less and less for their people.

Benefits frozen or cut back. Just austerity piled on top of more austerity.

An EU membership vote given to the people in 2016, with over three years of refusal to carry out the result of that vote. Marchers in the hundreds of thousands filling the streets of London, demanding another vote, or even revoking article 50.

The government in disarray, looking like fools. Three Prime Ministers since the 2016 EU vote. A ruling political party a laughing stock.

The opposition should be ready to take over the reigns of government. An election is called, and the opposition Labour party roll out their manifesto. Nationalisation of the Post Office, Water, and Railways. Freebies scattered all around. More money for the NHS, free dental checkups, free college education, 30 hours of free nursery care for 2, 3, and 4 year olds, free broadband for all, higher minimum wage......

Yet, the Tories are well ahead in the polls. The Labour party is trying to rearrange it's campaign, never a good sign of belief in success. Why is this? Why are Labour not heading for a landslide victory?

This is the question.

It grieves me to say it Dave, but the reason is Jeremy Corbyn.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post

Not just Corbyn.He's only the puppet.
It's the shadowy clicque of Marxist advisors and union enforcers like McCluskey who have taken Labour back to the bad old days of Scargill.
And all those cowardly moderate MPs who sat on their hands and allowed it all to happen.
If Labour ever did get into power through a hung parliament in this election you watch the tsunami of money that would flow out of the UK.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:51 AM

1,129 posts, read 472,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's the shadowy clicque of Marxist advisors and union enforcers like McCluskey who have taken Labour back to the bad old days of Scargill.
And all those cowardly moderate MPs who sat on their hands and allowed it all to happen.
If Labour ever did get into power through a hung parliament in this election you watch the tsunami of money that would flow out of the UK.
You are right

Brexit would be dead in the water if there was a proper opposition party.

Both parties are nothing like they were just a decade ago.

The Conservatives have let the minority ERG, right wing faction take over their party.

Labour have let the left leaning loonies take the reigns

The majority of MPs and voters for that matter have nothing in common with either extreme.

With these Muppet's in charge I'm glad I left UK and even if I am given the option to vote in future, I'm done.

Good luck, I think you are all going to need it.

Last edited by britinspain; 11-29-2019 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-29-2019, 05:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it is Corbyn, and the whole motley Marxist crazies behind him. Plus infiltration of local Labour parties by extremists.

They put Corbyn up front as the kindly granddad figure. Quietly spoken, and ever so reasonable.

If they gain power, we will be forced into more talks with the EU, to get some sort of deal nobody seems quite sure of. The one thing you can bet on, it will ensure we remain within the EU orbit, and free movement will continue.

Then, six months to arrange a second referendum, with talk of non British citizens being given a vote. There is even mention of giving a vote to sixteen year old school children.

We will have our native white English children shamed in school, for the sins of the British Empire, of which none of them will know anything about. Verbally abused in our own country, by no doubt 'special' teachers brought in to literally teach them a lesson.

As you say Roscoe cowardly moderate Labour MPs keeping silent, in fear of losing their cushy jobs in Parliament.

We have no choice but to vote for a Tory government. This election was Labour's for the taking, and they have blown it, hopefully. Wee Jimmy Sturgeon up in Scotland is hoping somehow Labour, and the SNP can form a government. The massive English dog, being dominated by the Scottish tail.

Our only hope is a far right Tory government. Gawd help us all.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:56 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
Quote:

Our only hope is a far right Tory government. Gawd help us all.

What makes you think it will be far right ?

The UK is one of very European countries that has never elected a far right extremist politician to its parliament.
Boris Johnson is firmly from the liberal wing of the Tory party and, with the possible exception of Priti Patel, I see very few hangers and floggers being in the Cabinet.
If anything this election will remove the deadwood from the Tory party and Boris is already committed to a big programme of infrastructure spending and investment in poorer areas of the UK and the NHS.

I have a sneaking suspicion Boris could well surprise a lot of people if he gets elected.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:18 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:

The UK is one of very European countries that has never elected a far right extremist politician to its parliament.
Boris Johnson is firmly from the liberal wing of the Tory party and, with the possible exception of Priti Patel, I see very few hangers and floggers being in the Cabinet.
If anything this election will remove the deadwood from the Tory party and Boris is already committed to a big programme of infrastructure spending and investment in poorer areas of the UK and the NHS.

I have a sneaking suspicion Boris could well surprise a lot of people if he gets elected.
I hope you're right on all counts Roscoe. First he has to win the election, with a good majority. There must be no talk of it being in the bag. The Tories thought the 2016 EU vote was in the bag. Things didn't turn out as planned.

We need to get the vote out. No complacency.

I sure hope Nigel Farage gets something out of this eventually. We owe it all to him.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:00 PM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
Quote:

UKIP won a seat in 2014. Also Thatcher won 3 elections on an economically far right platform. Throwing entire communities, cities and industries onto the scrapheap for ideological reasons is a policy that is far to the right of pretty much anything in the rest of Europe.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 467,543 times
Far right extremist? What a load of cobblers and did that mean there were million of extremists? Many of Thatcher's voters were working class people.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:55 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,712,034 times
I can understand that many people dislike Jeremy Corbyn.

But the same people didnt vote for Ed Miliband in 2015. Or Gordon Brown in 2010. They were not so called "Marxists".

I get a feeling that dislike for Corbyn is just an excuse - people support Conservative Party for their immigration policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom