Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:34 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Well, you were warned, I don't want to hear any complaints from leave voters about the NHS going down the pan and charges being introduced, increasing poverty, job losses as manufacturers close. They have actively and gleefully chosen that path, the consequences are 100% on them.

It seems to me you've got two choices.
You can waste the next few years of your life warning of doom like the failed Project Fear Mark 1+2 or you can wait until such things as you warn about happen and then say I told you so.
Certainly for the next year you'll be wasting your time because no agreement on a trade deal with the EU will have been reached.
In the meantime investment put on hold because of Brexit will be unleashed - the majority of businesses simply wanted Brexit.
And the majority of them were SMEs with little direct interaction with the EU other than increasing amounts of red tape.
Personally I think we'll be find in the long run but, like you, I have no idea of knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 10:32 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,004,595 times
As I recall, in the aftermath of the 2016 referendum British officials scrambled to make trade deals. This is what I anticipate for 2020.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,425 times
If this was Germany in 1933 and I was warning of what was to come would you advise me to sit back, wait until 1945 then only say 'I told you so' afterwards?

Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 AM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
If this was Germany in 1933 and I was warning of what was to come would you advise me to sit back, wait until 1945 then only say 'I told you so' afterwards?
Doesn't matter what anyone thinks now, the rollercoaster is off on its voyage.

If Johnson stays to the right and stuffs up brexit he'll be out in 5 else the coaster keeps on rolling.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:03 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
You comparing the rise of Adolf Hitler, and his grand tour of Europe, 1939-45, to the Conservatives winning this General Election?

Take a chill pill MnM258.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone thinks now, the rollercoaster is off on its voyage.

If Johnson stays to the right and stuffs up brexit he'll be out in 5 else the coaster keeps on rolling.
Yep, we're off on the Brexit voyage, after a three year delay due to idiots trying to stop it. Boris Johnson is in charge of the ship's wheel, and he will decide our ports of call the next five years.

The Labour party are left in charge of the rowing boats. They are looking for a new Captain for their sunken ship. So far, Midshipman Thornberry has stepped forward to offer to take command. The talent pool is small. Is there anybody who can raise the Labour Titanic?

Old 12-18-2019, 01:38 PM

434 posts, read 249,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The talent pool is small. Is there anybody who can raise the Labour Titanic?
Your abit off there, titanic implies that 2019 Labour was the greatest and best engineered party of its time, let down by hubris, human error and chance.

The hubris and human error fits but the rest is miles out.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Your abit off there, titanic implies that 2019 Labour was the greatest and best engineered party of its time, let down by hubris, human error and chance.

The hubris and human error fits but the rest is miles out.
The Titanic was a beautiful ship, but had built in flaws, that caused it to sink.

I see the similarity, but it's only a slight resemblance.

l have seen some of the possible candidates to take over from Jeremy Corbyn, and what a motley crew they are. Not a one of them with the stature to lead the Labour party. Has Jeremy driven all the real talent away from the Labour party? All I see down the line is many years in opposition.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:17 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,530,373 times
The SNP is basically Corbynistas in kilts.
Imagine being this Scottish cretin getting elected to Parliament but doing his own little protest by crossing his fingers during the swearing-in ceremony.
These numpties are so far behind the cruve of where the new parliament is headed it's comical.

https://order-order.com/2019/12/18/s...gers-swearing/

Old 12-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The SNP is basically Corbynistas in kilts.
Imagine being this Scottish cretin getting elected to Parliament but doing his own little protest by crossing his fingers during the swearing-in ceremony.
These numpties are so far behind the cruve of where the new parliament is headed it's comical.
They are a pathetic crew up there, led by the very annoying Nicola Sturgeon. As soon as I see her face appear on a telly news channel, I change it as fast as my finger can reach the remote control.

She just goes on, and on about yet another independence vote. You can bet your bottom dollar, that if she lost another one, she would be screeching for another soon afterwards.

The more I think about it, maybe it's time for them to go. They need teaching a lesson about real world economics. They have been supported by the English taxpayer forever.

They will have no currency, because they have been told in no uncertain manner, they're not going to use the pound.

They don't meet the criteria for EU membership. They would soon stop singing Scotland the Brave.

What bothers me, is we would have to build a very expensive barrier all across the border. It would have to be manned constantly, to keep Scots from trying to escape, and slip into England. They could do it by boat as well. That's all we need, Scottish refugees....... 'I didna vote for independence, honest.........'

Same with the northern Irish. Nurses are on strike right now, because they haven't had the pay rise paid to NHS staff here in England. They can't work together in government, and the whole place is a waste of time. Let the Irish have it, and see how they get on trying to govern such a place

But, as we know, even given northern Ireland, the Irish government would hold their hand out asking for money from us. What a mess. Us English people are sick of both of them in Scotland and northern Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom