Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:00 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,298,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Sports = Business

It really has very little with national pride.
nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,539,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't know why the English, its people, media and possibly the world seems very surprised that England lost to Iceland in the Euro Cup and make a big fuss over it as if it were a huge embarrassment. Do people just assume England is strong player and key contender for the championship?

Well, lets look at England's historical record:

Since 1964, there have been 14 Euro Cups. 4 times, that's 30% of the times, England didn't even qualify.

Its best performance was the 3rd place in 1968, when only four teams competed. It only entered the quarter final twice, in 2004 and 2012.

At the same time, Spain won three times, Germany won three times, France won twice, even little Greece and Denmark won once.

Countries like Belgium, Czech, Portugal all have entered the final. England, not even once.

So what's the drama about England losing to Iceland? It seldom plays that well, yet year after year, the British media acts as if it is all such a shock to them. So funny.
It's down to all the hype around the England team...... As we have the best league in the world it's kind of a given that we should be up there with the best.

It's wrong of course and apart from one or two players we are not that special.

Rooney on £300k a week and is past it IMO

Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,539,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Sports = Business

It really has very little with national pride.
It's all national pride mate .... That's the problem.

We are blind to the fact that we are not as good as others

Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,043,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
It's all national pride mate .... That's the problem.

We are blind to the fact that we are not as good as others
I think the point is that however 'good or bad' the individuals in the English team are due to the fact that the EPL is a top league and the English players are all VERY highly paid and play in the league, whereas Iceland is a small nation of part time players, they should be expected to at least look like they should win. Its a bit of a mystery, some say its because they don't care for the national team? Perhaps, some say they get paid too much? Perhaps, I think a lot of it has to do with a bad manager, lack of direction and a general feeling of 'panic' the moment things don't go their way, I think they have a mental block when it comes to tournament football brought on by a vicious press back home, the Welsh team is made up from many championship standard players but they played with a freedom and a team spirit. I don't think the next England manager has a job as difficult as its made out to be, he simply needs to pick a system and then the best players at his disposal for each position (without shoe-horning in players out of position) and then let them play, then although they may not be world beaters I feel sure they would at least put up a better 'show' than they have during the last couple of tournaments.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,437,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think the point is that however 'good or bad' the individuals in the English team are due to the fact that the EPL is a top league and the English players are all VERY highly paid and play in the league, whereas Iceland is a small nation of part time players, they should be expected to at least look like they should win. Its a bit of a mystery, some say its because they don't care for the national team? Perhaps, some say they get paid too much? Perhaps, I think a lot of it has to do with a bad manager, lack of direction and a general feeling of 'panic' the moment things don't go their way, I think they have a mental block when it comes to tournament football brought on by a vicious press back home, the Welsh team is made up from many championship standard players but they played with a freedom and a team spirit. I don't think the next England manager has a job as difficult as its made out to be, he simply needs to pick a system and then the best players at his disposal for each position (without shoe-horning in players out of position) and then let them play, then although they may not be world beaters I feel sure they would at least put up a better 'show' than they have during the last couple of tournaments.
England managers have received the majority of the blame for poor performance of the England team for decades. Many managers have had the job, some of them with vast experience, and success before taking the England job.

Don Revie, a massively successful manager with Leeds United, took the job after Alf Ramsey got the sack. He ended up running out on the job, and going to earn his fortune elsewhere. We have had very good managers like Bobby Robson, who had some success, but never enough to win a tournament. It is a mystery in some ways.

Teams with limited ability, but desire to win, like The Republic of Ireland under Jack Charlton followed your advice. He picked a system, and players, and stuck with it. A few of the players from our most successful England team of 1966, tried management. None of them were ever offered the England job.

Brian Clough, a real good man manager, was never offered the job during his great success of the 70s and 80s. His abrasive personality seemed to frighten the powers that be. Whatever is wrong, seems to evade whoever manages the team. I expect nothing of the England players, and they rarely disappoint.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,068,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
It's down to all the hype around the England team...... As we have the best league in the world it's kind of a given that we should be up there with the best.

It's wrong of course and apart from one or two players we are not that special.

Rooney on £300k a week and is past it IMO
I've never agreed more with you!

PS/ Sorry you lost out in that sweepstake win!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,437,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I've never agreed more with you!

PS/ Sorry you lost out in that sweepstake win!
Hi Star.......Sorry about the result last night. I was so hoping they would make the final. Whatever, Wales can hold their heads up high, and your team's performances will be long remembered.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,068,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Hi Star.......Sorry about the result last night. I was so hoping they would make the final. Whatever, Wales can hold their heads up high, and your team's performances will be long remembered.
Me too! But the fact is - we didn't play well enough, and it was a bit of a rubbish game (unless you're from Portugal of course!). I blame our unlucky black away kit!!

Yes, we are still proud of them, and there will be a big celebration for them in Cardiff tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:43 AM

27,213 posts, read 13,502,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Me too! But the fact is - we didn't play well enough, and it was a bit of a rubbish game (unless you're from Portugal of course!). I blame our unlucky black away kit!!

Yes, we are still proud of them, and there will be a big celebration for them in Cardiff tomorrow.
The Welsh did themselves proud.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:43 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,119,423 times
I think England should stick to things they're good at.....Tiddlywinks, for example, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom