Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
It's unbelievable. The Conservatives were in a complete mess, yet if a general election was held next week they would absolutely wipe the floor with Labour. Which makes it difficult to understand why some within the Labour party have challenged Teresa May to hold a snap election in order to prove her legitimacy. Are these people brain-damaged?
I don't think the Tories can call an election unless there is a serious reason to do so. They have to complete the five years from the last vote. I have no doubt if they could, they would. Like you say, a party that should be on the run, after the EU vote fiasco, instead are sitting pretty.

I don't just blame Corbyn for this mess. The Labour party have had this coming to them for a long time. They are going to be taught a hard lesson when the time comes for a vote. They could fade away to be as insignificant as the Liberal Democrats. They're another group complaining about the EU vote result. They may end up completely eliminated . The way things are going, I can't see anyone stopping the Tories getting a massive majority at the next election. But they'll get it from even more disillusioned people not bothering to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I watched Jeremy Corbyn talking on tv last night. How if re-elected, he is going to listen more, and talk less. Gawd....... I can't believe what is happening to the Labour Party.

The man is totally deluded, and living in a world of his own. Part of me believes he wants to destroy the party. Some sort of revenge mission for 30 years of being ignored.

He attends meetings where young supporters shout encouragement to him. Maybe he believes these people are part of a massive movement out in the country, just waiting for the chance to vote him in as Prime Minister.

It is one of the most amazing cases of self delusion I have ever seen. He will bring ruin to his political party, and they may never recover.

We have no genuine opposition party within Parliament. The Tories must be watching in amazement, and glee. If a general election was called, Labour will be decimated. The panic within the MPs in Parliament, must be difficult to contain. Somehow, they have to get rid of this man.
The situation with Corbyn reminds me of that story you learnt about in school - 'The Emperor's New Clothes'. Where the Emperor's people are telling him how wonderful he is (or looks, in this case), but really everyone realises that they are telling him a load of old bull****!

If Corbyn wants to believe his own hype, then carry on. But they will fail massively at the next General Election. I really don't know what will happen to the Labour party eventually. Will it cause a split?

I also have some belief in the theory that a load of Tories have paid to 'join' the Labour party. For a reasonable fee, they can then vote in a dud leader, ensuring the success of the Tories in a future election.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,130,589 times
The only way Labour will ever sniff No 10 on Election night, is complacent Tory voters not bothering to show up!

A bit like the alleged millions of "Euro In" voters who probably thought the same, stayed at home, watching the results coming in, and realizing in horror that the Brexit millions voted in force - and the rest is history, as they say!

Other than complacency I really see no hope for Labour, even if they cosy up to the LibDems and/or Greens, for a desperate coalition

Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,945,266 times
I'm no fan of Cameron, but he was spot on when he said: “We got on with it – we had resignation, nomination, competition and coronation. They haven’t even decided what the rules are yet. If they got into power it would take about a year to work out who would sit there.â€

Old 09-19-2016, 11:51 AM

703 posts, read 448,151 times
A lot of negativity here if I may say so, and how anyone can predict with confidence the outcome of an election in four years time is beyond me.
Question: How popular do you think the Tories will be in 2020?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,945,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
A lot of negativity here if I may say so, and how anyone can predict with confidence the outcome of an election in four years time is beyond me.
You're thinking ahead to 2020, when there's a very real chance that the Labour party won't even make it through 2016 intact, if the split occurs then I'd be amazed if they were somehow able to recover and mount a respectable challenge in 2020, it would be one of the greatest turnarounds in our political history. They would have 3 years to do this, which is almost unthinkable. The Tories don't really need to be popular, so long as they have the appearance of an effective government they won't be beaten. Only an implosion on their part could see them lose the next election, IMO.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
Four years really isn't that long. I'm not sure the Labour party are capable of drastically changing (enough to win an election), within that time scale.

I'm sure people will get fed up of the Tories still being in power, in four years time. But what other reasonable choice do we have?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 AM

Jeremy Corbyn, anticipating his victory, and re-election as Leader of the Labour Party, is preparing to put his party on an 'election footing.' He believes Theresa May will call an election, as early as next Spring, to secure a mandate for her Brexit negotiations. He will instruct his MPs to vote for an early election.......

Oh my gawd........ that will be turkeys voting for Christmas. I believe, even with his party being decimated in an election, he will still cling on to the leadership, and I wouldn't be surprised if he beat any challenger for his job...... again. You really couldn't make this up.

Jeremy Corbyn to put Labour Party on election footing - BBC News

Old 09-20-2016, 01:04 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,716,001 times
I'm not surprised that Corbyn has instructed his party to prepare for an election Dave, after all Corbyn was born into a wealthy family, lived in a seven bedroom manor house, was given a private education and even after all that left school with only two E grade A levels. This is not a clever man.

Did anyone watch Panorama last night? it was about the civil war inside the Labour party. I was surprised that the Labour MP for Hove, who won the seat from the Conservatives, was being targeted for de-selection by the momentum group who support Corbyn.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I'm not surprised that Corbyn has instructed his party to prepare for an election Dave, after all Corbyn was born into a wealthy family, lived in a seven bedroom manor house, was given a private education and even after all that left school with only two E grade A levels. This is not a clever man.

Did anyone watch Panorama last night? it was about the civil war inside the Labour party. I was surprised that the Labour MP for Hove, who won the seat from the Conservatives, was being targeted for de-selection by the momentum group who support Corbyn.
He is living in some sort of dream world albion........ just bizarre. He reminds me a little in how he runs things like Stalin. Like you say, not a particularly intelligent man, but crafty and cunning. He is slowly making the party into something he can manipulate at will. I believe Labour has been infiltrated by enemies, using the voting system to keep a man in place that they know will bring the party down.

I didn't see Panorama, but it is obvious that MPs who don't toe the party line, will be de-selected, and Corbyn supporters will try and get more MPs who support Corbyn's line. The problem they have, is that Labour could be in effect, reduced to a small protest party at the next election. I don't believe things can carry on like this much longer. There will be a split within the Parliamentary party. I think we are witnessing the end of Labour as we know it.

The proud tradition of this political movement which began so long ago, is being torn apart. It was created to try and help lift the poor from poverty. It is responsible for so much we hold dear in this country like the NHS. To see it reduced to this makes me want to weep.

But I'm not surprised........ ever since things like 'Blair's Babes' I knew the Party was in trouble. This has been coming ever since the death of John Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom