Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,442,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Totally agree about John Smith,ive always said if he had lived to win in 1997,which he would have,we would now be in a wealthier and more equal country.Tony Blair started off well in his first term,but after that things went downhill.Gordon Brown was in the wrong job,though to his credit he managed the 2008 crash reasonably well.

Ed Milliband though i voted for him,never seemed PM material,but then i saw Cameron the same way.Milliband was stitched up by Nicola Sturgeon on the TV debates,People frightened of being held to ransom by the SNP went and voted Conservative.SMP has a reputation of being very much to the left,and some of them are,some very extreme right there as well mind.

Jeremy Corbyn to me always reminds me of someone who would be good in the Students Union,in other words,someone more interested in protest politics,and while i agree with some things he says,others are just not feasible.

Dont know a lot about his challengers,but it needs sorting and quickly if Labour are to get anywhere
Morning Ian...... I agree, John Smith was a man of principle, and it would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out under his leadership of the country.

Mr Corbyn has had a political career as an 'againster.' Whatever it was, he was against it....... Well now, the Labour party are stuck with him, and getting rid of him is proving very difficult.

He is a nice guy, and an idealist. Like you say, a great man in the Student Union. He still seems to hold on to the beliefs of his youth. He is a man stuck in the wrong time sadly. He would have been great in Clement Attlee's cabinet.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,709,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Nice sentiments. Question is, do Labour have such a leader?

I like Corbyn, but I don't like his hawkish MPs, who all seem to be chomping on the bit to kick him out! I think they're all Nu Labour fanatics who want to move the Party back to the centre where Blair/Milliband left it.

As for Angela Eagle! Well the Eagle has definitely landed! Face-planted in fact. I wouldn't want her anywhere near Victoria Street, never mind Downing Street!

The trouble with some of these candidates is that I don't think any of them have actually gone out to work! Instead they've gone straight to university and then into the political arena at some junior level. Career politicians basically, but have little knowledge of the real world - which from what I understand is anathema to old Labour ideals.
Watched PMQT Cameron was great very funny, and kicked Corbyn's backside as usual. Even Dennis Skinner stood and applauded.
You asked who I think could be a good Labour leader, I think Dan Jarvis has a lot of potential. He would be a damn sight better than commie Corbyn.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,121,172 times
Labour divisions widen as anti-Corbyn leadership rivals turn on each other | Politics | The Guardian

Seems the party itself is on the verge of imploding as the candidates start taking potshots at each other!

Too many naturally opposing forces coming into play here as each candidate has his/her own idea of what the party should stand for and where to position itself.

Fact is though, these candidates don't really care about the grassroots, instead only have their own vested interests at stake

You only have to look at the profile of one of those candidates - Smith, for example - to realise they're career politicians who want to see the Blairite days back again. And according to Wiki, it's apparent how he is quick to distance himself away from comments he made before his Parliamentary day to thereafter ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Smith_(politician)

Nero is playing his violin while his own party immolates before all and sundry

Old 07-20-2016, 06:17 AM

27,249 posts, read 13,534,754 times
President Corbyn or perhaps Chairman Corbyn

Owen Smith: I'd offer Corbyn Labour president job - BBC News

Old 07-20-2016, 06:22 AM

Meanwhile in the Sunday Sport.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
President Corbyn or perhaps Chairman Corbyn

Owen Smith: I'd offer Corbyn Labour president job - BBC News
So Smithy things he can unite the party by taking it back to the centre and reigniting the Blairite era once again; while at the same time placating the Left by giving Corby some token but impotent position of "President"

He (Smith) doesn't engage me at all, especially his murky past with the private sector and his claims he would want to privatize some or all of the NHS - despite his recent claims to the contrary.

Another Blair-clone in my book.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:44 AM

703 posts, read 447,013 times
Precisely

Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,442,642 times
Chairman Corbyn spoke to the assembled crowds, pleased at his promotion. He said, "pay attention to state affairs, and carry the great proletarian revolution through to the end!"

Tears, in the audience, of mainly new members of the Labour party, was a sight to see. They shouted, "Chairman Corbyn is here.... Chairman Corbyn is here!"

Tens of thousands of students, unemployed, peasants, and other people jumped with joy, and surged towards Chairman Corbyn. He said, "I am with you always, even when you won't want me anymore......"

There was no telling how many hearts throbbed with excitement, and how many eyes shone with tears.

As he left, Chairman Corbyn waved, and shook hands with many followers. Others rushed forward to touch the hands that came in contact with the great leader.

"Long live Chairman Corbyn" they shouted., tears pouring down their young, innocent cheeks.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-20-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Chairman Corbyn spoke to the assembled crowds, pleased at his promotion. He said, "pay attention to state affairs, and carry the great proletarian revolution through to the end!"

Tears, in the audience, of mainly new members of the Labour party, was a sight to see. They shouted, "Chairman Corbyn is here.... Chairman Corbyn is here!"

Tens of thousands of students, unemployed, peasants, and other people jumped with joy, and surged towards Chairman Corbyn. He said, "I am with you always, even when you won't want me anymore......"

There was no telling how many hearts throbbed with excitement, and how many eyes shone with tears.

As he left, Chairman Corbyn waved, and shook hands with many followers. Others rushed forward to touch the hands that came in contact with the great leader.

"Long live Chairman Corbyn" they shouted., eyes welling with tears.

However, our glorious & Illustrious leader (of the Opposition) won't be complete until he has his very own Little Red Book

Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 AM

Owen Smith talks about his private life.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-21-2016 at 03:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom