Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 AM

703 posts, read 446,489 times

Advertisements

So, Angela Eagle is mounting a challenge for the leadership of the Labour Party.
Good luck with that one. If she wins it's back to 'tory lite', and standing for no one in particular. Not working people that's for sure and certainly not for the Daily Mail brigade who fancy themselves as no longer working class.
Jeremy Corbyn can at least see a road that leads to something better. A stony road yes, but a stony road is better than a wrong one. This is a pivotal moment for the party. It may be necessary to take a few steps back in order to recapture this lost sense of direction but it will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 09:24 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
The Labour leadership is indeed a challenge! Politically challenged, morally challenged, charismatically challenged & intellectually challenged!

I have no idea what wing of the party Eagle professes to represent, but I really hope she's not another Blairite otherwise she'll sink the party into yet another "what do we really stand for?" vacuum!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:39 AM

48 posts, read 38,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
The Labour leadership is indeed a challenge! Politically challenged, morally challenged, charismatically challenged & intellectually challenged!
I have seen no evidence that Corbyn is intellectually nor morally challenged, he hasn't made any notable gaffs and seems concise in the interviews of his that I have seen. With regards to morally challenged... morally challenged... I'd appreciate it if you could expound on that one a little.

With regards to politically challenged he certainly seems to be challenging his 'peers' with his political views yes, he knows what they are and he doesn't change them readily. Those within the party (the members) seem to appreciate his views, just take a look at how membership in the party increased to get him the leadership and how many more have joined since. As far as I'm aware the Labour Party has more members than Conservative and Lib' Dem' combined.

With regards to charismatically challenged you kind of covered it yourself, he isn't Blair lite, he isn't all smiles and slime. He would appear to me that he seems pretty normal and it would appear that's what the members of the party want.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietly Screaming View Post
I have seen no evidence that Corbyn is intellectually nor morally challenged, he hasn't made any notable gaffs and seems concise in the interviews of his that I have seen. With regards to morally challenged... morally challenged... I'd appreciate it if you could expound on that one a little.

With regards to politically challenged he certainly seems to be challenging his 'peers' with his political views yes, he knows what they are and he doesn't change them readily. Those within the party (the members) seem to appreciate his views, just take a look at how membership in the party increased to get him the leadership and how many more have joined since. As far as I'm aware the Labour Party has more members than Conservative and Lib' Dem' combined.

With regards to charismatically challenged you kind of covered it yourself, he isn't Blair lite, he isn't all smiles and slime. He would appear to me that he seems pretty normal and it would appear that's what the members of the party want.
I think I should have elaborated more: by "leadership", I wasn't directing my critique towards Corbyn directly, but more the Labour party in general and the Front Bench and possible leadership candidates in particular, and by the same token collectively.

There seems to be a morass of some or all of those "challenges" I spoke of earlier, within the Party; no clarity that a jaded general public can somehow relate or connect to. Instead we have ministers obfuscating behind smoke & mirrors; an air of continued detachment between the Party, its supporters and the waivers somewhat undecided where to put their loyalties should a snap general election be called in the next 12 months.

I'm only 23 and a political naif at all this; but I do try to take an interest. The intrigue, the broken promises, the resignations et al across all the main parties, are perhaps the only reasons my attention is so drawn to the political machinations / shenanigans that go on behind the closed doors of the Palace of Westminster.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:38 PM

48 posts, read 38,171 times
Quote:
I think I should have elaborated more: by "leadership", I wasn't directing my critique towards Corbyn directly, but more the Labour party in general and the Front Bench and possible leadership candidates in particular, and by the same token collectively.

There seems to be a morass of some or all of those "challenges" I spoke of earlier, within the Party; no clarity that a jaded general public can somehow relate or connect to. Instead we have ministers obfuscating behind smoke & mirrors; an air of continued detachment between the Party, its supporters and the waivers somewhat undecided where to put their loyalties should a snap general election be called in the next 12 months.

I'm only 23 and a political naif at all this; but I do try to take an interest. The intrigue, the broken promises, the resignations et al across all the main parties, are perhaps the only reasons my attention is so drawn to the political machinations / shenanigans that go on behind the closed doors of the Palace of Westminster.
It would appear we were talking at cross purposes.

There are indeed swaths of self-serving politicians aplenty and sadly it would appear that the Labour Party is no different.

Rather than grasp the opportunity to try and force a General Election while the time is ripe they have, to all apparent purposes, instead decided to pull the long knives and slit the throats of the party (and it's supporting populace) in an attempt to further their own careers.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:44 PM

To be honest, I have only been following politics in general and UK politics in particular since my undergrad years.

5 years on and I feel rather disillusioned by it all.

Is it any wonder young people don't bother voting when they know full well the main parties will probably shaft them (and everyone else other than the rich, the influential and powerful) as soon as the votes have been counted, the results promulgated and a new or sitting government starts over with 5 more years of fabricated half-truths, backtracking and just out and out lies!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:53 PM

703 posts, read 446,489 times
Quote:
To be honest, I have only been following politics in general and UK politics in particular since my undergrad years.

5 years on and I feel rather disillusioned by it all.

Is it any wonder young people don't bother voting when they know full well the main parties will probably shaft them (and everyone else other than the rich, the influential and powerful) as soon as the votes have been counted, the results promulgated and a new or sitting government starts over with 5 more years of fabricated half-truths, backtracking and just out and out lies!

You're learning fast !!

Old 07-10-2016, 03:16 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Zola is depressed at the political situation at only 23 years of age. It took me a lot longer........

Jeremy Corbyn seems to have the policies many young Labour supporters and members want to see implemented.

Much of what he says is true, yet his own sides MPs in Parliament seem to have no faith in him at all. I don't know what to make of it.

We are in the middle of a crisis, and yet all they seem concerned with is getting rid of their leader. If Corbyn wins a leadership election, what happens then? The breakup of the Labour party?

I tell ya..... what a mess. Clement Attlee must be turning in his grave.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Zola is depressed at the political situation at only 23 years of age. It took me a lot longer........

Jeremy Corbyn seems to have the policies many young Labour supporters and members want to see implemented.

Much of what he says is true, yet his own sides MPs in Parliament seem to have no faith in him at all. I don't know what to make of it.

We are in the middle of a crisis, and yet all they seem concerned with is getting rid of their leader. If Corbyn wins a leadership election, what happens then? The breakup of the Labour party?

I tell ya..... what a mess. Clement Attlee must be turning in his grave.

Pure speculation on my behalf, but I suspect some members of his Party worry if he is General Election material! Is he electable given the current weakness/crisis in our current Government post-Brexit?

I could be wrong but this could be Labour's best chance of winning a snap GE, even if it means cosying up to the fringe Parties and create a coalition government (although how that would work with so many diametrically opposed views, I really don't care to think about!) But to get what they want means making Corbyn their sacrificial lamb!

Old 07-10-2016, 03:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Pure speculation on my behalf, but I suspect some members of his Party worry if he is General Election material! Is he electable given the current weakness/crisis in our current Government post-Brexit?

I could be wrong but this could be Labour's best chance of winning a snap GE, even if it means cosying up to the fringe Parties and create a coalition government (although how that would work with so many diametrically opposed views, I really don't care to think about!) But to get what they want means making Corbyn their sacrificial lamb!
I don't think Labour would win a general election Zola, even with a new leader. There doesn't seem to be any dynamic leader in waiting. The Tories, for all their faults, know how to steady a wobbling ship. They are doing so now.

I think Jeremy in another time, would have been seen as a typical Labour party politician. The problem for him, is that many MPs in his party, don't come from ordinary backgrounds any more. Some of them seem to hold traditional Labour voters in contempt.

But, he has galvanized many young, idealistic Labour supporters. My worry with the massive increase in party membership in recent times, is that some are there to try and damage the Labour party with their votes for Corbyn. How many, I have no idea.

I don't want to insult the man, as many are doing. He is passionate about his policies and beliefs. Many, especially young people, seem to hold him in high regard. The problem he has, is besides his own Parliamentary party, the media will make fun of him, and try and destroy him. Especially during a General Election campaign.

Many voters believe what the Sun tells them........ and they are a cut above the idiots who read the Daily Star.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom