Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
All there on video tape, but you prefer the notion of the violent and savage black male who deserves to die.
No, it is not there on the video, since the video begins after the shooting. And cool your jets with the racial allegations because I don't have a racist bone in my body.

My (brown) friend was stopped by the police for speeding yesterday and he was in possession of a loaded .45. A few minutes later he was on his way with a warning because he properly informed the officer of the weapon and followed his instructions. Go grabbing for it and it will turn out differently.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I wouldn't say "substantially"... down from around 13,000 gun homicides in 2010 to around 11,000 by 2014.
The rate of gun murders is literally half what it was in the early 1990s, yet gun ownership has risen substantially.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most of us have never even seen a gun.

I sincerely doubt that.

Well, maybe you don't know as much as you think you do. Many of us live in civilized parts of the country where people don't go walking around carrying GUNS. I have never seen or touched a gun. The rest of this country is not like the place where you live.

My husband is British and he held a gun when he was in the British Army. He had a shotgun for grouse shooting on the "Glorious Twelfth" in England. It got used ONE day out of the year and it had to be kept in a locked steel case the rest of the time. He has never seen a gun in the nine years he has been in this country.

Carrying a gun around with you makes it all too easy for some angry person to actually USE it when they are upset with another driver or someone looks at them the wrong way. Maybe you don't remember some idiot walking into a movie theater and killing many people. Many more examples if you think about it, far too many.

And at the gun loving Republican Convention I think they have just banned guns. I wonder why--seeing as they are so safe. The police have asked that guns be banned. Maybe not every gun carrier has control over himself or maybe some have bad tempers, some are bound to be nuts!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
The rate of gun murders is literally half what it was in the early 1990s, yet gun ownership has risen substantially.
They're dropping? Wonderful. Maybe they'll drop to near zero in the next two decades. Then you'll be comparable to the UK (and other western democracies). I won't hold my breath on that, though.

Sidenote: Suicides by firearm are pretty level with the early '90s, and they account for fully 60% of firearm deaths.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:19 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
No, it is not there on the video, since the video begins after the shooting. officer of the weapon and followed his instructions. Go grabbing for it and it will turn out differently.

The dialogue of the woman gives full indication of what happened.

But like I said you feel more comfortable with the image of the police force protecting you against marauding black savages.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
I think it's like that old figure of speech, if you boil a frog slowly, it doesn't notice it's being boiled. The gun mayhem in the U.S. has developed gradually over the past few decades, and it's now on the brink of wild west anarchy. In the inner city, in suburbs, in the country... it's everywhere. And you can't predict when something awful will happen.

Situations that would end up in a drunken fist-fight anywhere else, result in someone pulling out a gun in the U.S., and just like that, a couple of people are dead. Or a half a dozen people... or more.

Unstable maniacs who would never be able to purchase a gun elsewhere, or who would get seriously questioned for it, can walk into any Walmart in the U.S. and put down cash, and then walk out of the shop with an arsenal.

Absurd, completely absurd.
Love this! I've never heard that one before!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
As was previously pointed out gun murders are still SIGNIFICANTLY higher than in any other modern developed western society, they will continue to be so until you change what is quite frankly a terrible law, if anybody can seriously justify the outrageously high level of gun crime in the US I would like to hear it, even if changing the gun laws resulted in ONE life saved it would be worth it, in reality changing the gun laws there would save many lives every year, yet still the laws aren't changed, its madness.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Your family don't represent every black person in the UK. They consider themselves to be "English" when around 80% of the blacks in the UK don't, and that includes those who were born there.

I suggest that you stop talking about your family, because when I respond you then start wailing about how I am "insulting" them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nts-xenophobic

Apparently Britain isn't that "tolerant" after all. And why would any one boast about being "tolerant". Its like some one who smells stink, but their neighbor decides to tolerate the stench.

BTW do you know that a black people in the UK account for a higher % of the arrests, relative to their population, than is the case in the USA. The less said about how blacks are treated in your criminal justice system the better. Lucky that you don't have an NRA because that is the only reason why blacks aren't shot by cops. But illegal searches are just as prevalent in your land.
I don't believe this is true? It is a bit annoying that you consider yourself to be some kind of 'expert' on British black people whereas what I say (as somebody who has an actual British 'black' family) you consider to be ill informed, just because you are a black man doesn't mean you are an expert on people in a completely foreign country because you have the same skin tone!! I wouldn't dream of proclaiming to be some kind of expert on 'white' people living in Philadelphia just because I happen to have the same skin colour! Me and my family live in Britain every day of our lives, we deal with other British people of EVERY colour and religion every day, my kids (now young adults) attended diverse schools with kids from every race and religion, they have NEVER been stopped by the police, I think they are somewhat well positioned to know EXACTLY how it is living here don't you? Your 80% of black people don't consider themselves to be British is inaccurate, I know dozens of black British people and I've never come across this, this isn't 1970 anymore you know, Britain is somewhat different to the Britain at the time of the Brixton riots - in fact its VERY different, you seem to be so stuck in the past, perhaps its people like yourself that refuse to accept change even if its for the better that do the most 'damage' to human relations, perhaps you should come and take a look for yourself sometime, come and visit the WHOLE country and see how it will surprise you. If the day comes when my kids have a problem because of their skin colour (and yes at some point that day will probably come) I will be right there for them along with the friends of every colour and religion that they have made, my eldest in particular is a very popular young lady (don't get me wrong I think they are VERY capable of looking after themselves, I am very very proud of the people they've grown up to be).

Now nobody is claiming that the UK is some kind of racial utopia (it has issues like everywhere else) but it is certainly no worse than in the US like you claim, in fact 'arguably' its better (notice I said arguably), there is not a problem of racist white police officers gunning down people just because they're black, the truth is a majority of people in both countries whether white or black are simply not racist, as usual its the minority of idiotic bigots that ruins the public harmony, we have to punish these idiots severely (police or citizen) and show them just how pathetic they are.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Many of us live in civilized parts of the country where people don't go walking around carrying GUNS. I have never seen or touched a gun. The rest of this country is not like the place where you live.
I've lived in Texas, California, Florida, Indiana, Nevada, Georgia and South Carolina and have traveled from one end of the country to the other and there have been people who carry guns in every one of them. Your neighbors have guns, but you might not know it. New England has a rich history of firearm ownership. Your vision of America is terribly skewed.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Sidenote: Suicides by firearm are pretty level with the early '90s, and they account for fully 60% of firearm deaths.
Exactly, and that's why gun control advocates include them in their statistics: to drastically inflate the figures. Suicides have no place in gun control discussions, as it's a person's right to choose whether or not they want to live.

I've visited the UK 4 times over the last 15 years and on each trip I've had my train delayed for long periods of time because someone had jumped in front of another train. It's tragic when someone chooses to take their own life, but to be perfectly honest, I'd rather they did it in private rather than fouling up the transportation system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom