Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,190,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The dialogue of the woman gives full indication of what happened.
No, it gives her side of the story and leaves out plenty of details. Her subsequent interviews have wavered a bit on exactly what happened before her boyfriend was shot. Hopefully the truth will come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
But like I said you feel more comfortable with the image of the police force protecting you against marauding black savages.
Enough of the racism, please.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 AM

820 posts, read 956,144 times
The UK economy is now contracting.
Q3 and Q4 2016 negative
The UK is facing a terrible future. Making comparisons with the USA is total nonsense.

All economists I met agree with me. The Fall of the UK is starting.
Sell your properties, change it for euros and leave the country. It is the best solution if you want to live correctly.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ec...-2017-barclays

Last edited by amaroW; 07-18-2016 at 04:14 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,447,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Exactly, and that's why gun control advocates include them in their statistics: to drastically inflate the figures. Suicides have no place in gun control discussions, as it's a person's right to choose whether or not they want to live.

I've visited the UK 4 times over the last 15 years and on each trip I've had my train delayed for long periods of time because someone had jumped in front of another train. It's tragic when someone chooses to take their own life, but to be perfectly honest, I'd rather they did it in private rather than fouling up the transportation system.
Good morning Derpy....... I like your posts, you make me smile, especially when you describe your trips to England. You have people telling you about their secret guns, after they have had a few drinks, and on each trip during train rides, you have had the inconvenience of people jumping in front of trains, delaying your journey.......

Now, I don't ride trains often nowadays, but back in the 70s, when I was in the army, I rode trains a lot. Up and down to London from Chatham in Kent, over to Tunbridge Wells, where my first wife lived at the time with her parents, and from London to Manchester on many a Friday night, to visit my father. I did this sort of travel for four years, and I was never delayed even once by suicide by train. You must be a very unlucky traveler.

I'd like to ask you something, as you being an American. We're in the UK thread, so I guess we're allowed to be curious. There have been some awful events in recent days of police being murdered by angry blacks, who feel they are treated unfairly by the authorities, and also feel many white people dislike them intensely.

White people retaliate saying, blacks have been given every advantage in the last 50 years or so, to try and repair the damage done in the previous hundred years before that. I have read on c-d sometimes, mention of the only way forward long term, is a separation of the races. Literally America splitting into different countries. The vast size of America could allow this to happen, if desired.

I know it's unlikely, at least as far in time as we can imagine, but nothing lasts forever, not even I believe, the USA as it stands now. Bad feeling between whites and blacks is there, whether people like it or not. Many blacks seem to have a low opinion of white people, and vice versa. Many white people, and I'm only saying here what I read in threads on city-data, just seem sick and tired of the present situation, which doesn't seem to be really getting any better, or any real signs of it in recent years.

I'm curious to know your opinion of the best way forward for America long term. Plus the same opinion from any other American of course. I seem to remember when I was young, watching Muhammad Ali being interviewed on English television, where he put forward separation as a solution, and that must be well over 40 years ago.

Or do you think the current way of dealing with such things is the best way? Just continue as you are with maybe two steps forward, then one back. A slow improvement in the situation, patience being needed, hoping eventually with education, that the different races in America, especially white and black will be able to live together in harmony and peace.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
if anybody can seriously justify the outrageously high level of gun crime in the US I would like to hear it, even if changing the gun laws resulted in ONE life saved it would be worth it, in reality changing the gun laws there would save many lives every year, yet still the laws aren't changed, its madness.
Our levels of gun crime cannot be justified and that's why gun owners are angry. The vast majority of our gun murders are committed by gang members, drug dealers and street criminals. They carry guns illegally in blatant violation of the law, but the only new laws that are passed are aimed at law abiding gun owners.

"Just saving one life" sounds great, but the fact is that new gun laws have no impact on street criminals.They're already carrying and using guns illegally, so who in their right mind would expect an additional law to be the one which they finally follow. We already have the ultimate penalty - capital punishment, so do you think criminals are going to be bothered by a few new laws?

Want to know what the leading cause of injury death in the United States is? It's not gun violence (suicides included) or even automobile accidents. It's drug overdoses. They kill almost 50,000 Americans every year. That's about 100x the deaths in mass shootings that make such a splash in the news, but why no uproar?

Old 07-18-2016, 04:57 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
Our levels of gun crime cannot be justified and that's why gun owners are angry. The vast majority of our gun murders are committed by gang members, drug dealers and street criminals. They carry guns illegally in blatant violation of the law, but the only new laws that are passed are aimed at law abiding gun owners.

"Just saving one life" sounds great, but the fact is that new gun laws have no impact on street criminals.They're already carrying and using guns illegally, so who in their right mind would expect an additional law to be the one which they finally follow. We already have the ultimate penalty - capital punishment, so do you think criminals are going to be bothered by a few new laws?

Want to know what the leading cause of injury death in the United States is? It's not gun violence (suicides included) or even automobile accidents. It's drug overdoses. They kill almost 50,000 Americans every year. That's about 100x the deaths in mass shootings that make such a splash in the news, but why no uproar?
Maybe because the drug overdoses only kill that person and dont take out a school or cinema full of people.. with Guns oops forgot to say.... innocent people, and this is why it doesnt hit the news..

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-18-2016 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,672,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
You expect a recruiter to be truthful?

Of course not....

Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You must be a very unlucky traveler.
I guess so. Maybe it's because on 3 of the delays the voice on the loudspeaker actually told us what was happening, even describing the scene as "messy." I'd imagine that a similar incident in the States would result in a generic "there's a problem down the line" report.

My last trip was 2 years ago and near the end of it I told my friend in London that I thought the curse had been broken, but the next night I was traveling from Earl's Court to Hackney and my connecting train didn't appear. I texted him and he replied with something like, "You're not going to believe it, but someone's jumped in front of a train." Crazy.

It looks like there are almost 300 suicides by train in the UK every year. I guess trains are a bit like airline flights and a single stoppage or delay can ripple through the whole system.

It's sad that this page even exists:
Fatality - Delays explained - Network Rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I'm curious to know your opinion of the best way forward for America long term.
Separation is unthinkable. Race relations are nowhere near that bad. There will always be racism in any society, but it is not the enormous problem that the progressives on the left are trying to portray. White cops are not gunning down unarmed black men because of racism, but that's what some people want to believe. And now we're seeing cops (black and white) being gunned down by black racists. The vast majority of Americans are not racists, criminals or murderers. There's always room for improvement, but we're doing fine, despite what some rabble rousers in the media and social media say.

The Dallas police chief is a remarkable example of how far we've come as a nation. He's a black man and his son was killed by police after he shot and killed a cop, but listen to his words. That's how America will solve its problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2SIVh0uEY

Old 07-18-2016, 05:21 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,818,226 times
Quote:
I guess so. Maybe it's because on 3 of the delays the voice on the loudspeaker actually told us what was happening, even describing the scene as "messy." I'd imagine that a similar incident in the States would result in a generic "there's a problem down the line" report.

My last trip was 2 years ago and near the end of it I told my friend in London that I thought the curse had been broken, but the next night I was traveling from Earl's Court to Hackney and my connecting train didn't appear. I texted him and he replied with something like, "You're not going to believe it, but someone's jumped in front of a train." Crazy.

It looks like there are almost 300 suicides by train in the UK every year. I guess trains are a bit like airline flights and a single stoppage or delay can ripple through the whole system.

It's sad that this page even exists:
Fatality - Delays explained - Network Rail

Separation is unthinkable. Race relations are nowhere near that bad. There will always be racism in any society, but it is not the enormous problem that the progressives on the left are trying to portray. White cops are not gunning down unarmed black men because of racism, but that's what some people want to believe. And now we're seeing cops (black and white) being gunned down by black racists. The vast majority of Americans are not racists, criminals or murderers. There's always room for improvement, but we're doing fine, despite what some rabble rousers in the media and social media say.

The Dallas police chief is a remarkable example of how far we've come as a nation. He's a black man and his son was killed by police after he shot and killed a cop, but listen to his words. That's how America will solve its problems.

We would have to go a long way to catch up with the US on racism so please dont bundle us in with what goes on over there.. Ill tell you a story about a cousin who emigrated to the States in the 50s.. he came back home for a holiday about six years later and was talking in a terrible way about blacks, in a way Id never heard him ever talk...OK we dont have the same amount of black people here in the UK.. but we do have many Asian people.. What I heard from his mouth horrified me,as he had never been racist in any way....and the same with a friends sister who went to live in South Africa many years ago.. her summing up for the black people was horrendous and in their own country..

Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,447,502 times
Quote:

Those were wise words. I read many threads on c-d, especially in politics, and the gulf between white and black seems wide. This is the only way, someone like myself, here in England, can try and understand what is going on. I guess only Americans living in America, know what is truth, and what is not.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We would have to go a long way to catch up with the US on racism so please dont bundle us in with what goes on over there.
I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom