Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country in the world is the most similar to the United Kingdom?
Netherlands 8 5.52%
Belgium 1 0.69%
France 5 3.45%
Denmark 5 3.45%
Norway 1 0.69%
Iceland 4 2.76%
Canada 28 19.31%
Australia 35 24.14%
New Zealand 35 24.14%
United States 23 15.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:41 AM

48 posts, read 50,857 times

Advertisements

Ireland

America feels absolutely nothing like the UK, Australia either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 04:40 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,402,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
well the usa has a strong cultural influence on many many countries and has done since 1945 but within the context of this thread , i think its fair to say australia is closer culturally to the uk than canada , its all relative of course
Boy, does the U.S. have a strong cultural influence! I'm American, and recently started following several British Vloggers on YouTube. They basically take a camera everywhere they go throughout their day; around their city, in their home, traveling, etc. I must admit, I actually get confused at times whether I'm watching a British or American youtube video. They're all from different places; London, Brighton, Cobham, etc. One night I was watching one, and the people in the video were like: "Soooooo, this morning we're gonna first stop for a coffee at Starbuck's, then I'm coming back home to edit some vlogs on youtube, (all social media is American) then Jason and I are going to cinema to see Suicide Squad. I'm so excited. After that, maybe look around in Urban Outfitters, and OH I KNOW! We should get Five Guys for dinner! After they get home: Well, we decided against Five Guys; instead we're gonna have Heinz beans and cheese on toast, and watch Netflix. Seriously?? LOL.

I'm also learning little terms you guys say that mean the same as what we say, but are described differently:

We say pee, you say wee.
We say odds and ends, you say bits and bobs
We say TV, you say Telly
We say awesome, you say brilliant
We say shopping cart or basket, you say trolly
We say peppers, you say capsicum
We say cash register, you say till
We say "I'm alone," and you say "I'm on my own."
We say sneakers, you say trainers
We say bobby or hair pin, you say grips
We say fries, you say chips
We say gas, you say petro

I could go on, but you get the point....

I can't hash out or give an opinion on which of the countries in the poll are MOST like the UK, but all I know is when I watch British youtube, I feel right at home! That reminds me....my you tubers are always talking about shopping at John Lewis and Charlotte Tilsbury; I need to Google them. I've just gotten hip to Jo Malone perfumes, and recently purchased my first scent, and it's DELICIOUS. One of the girls in the video was wearing a man's robe from John Lewis that I MUST buy!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,249,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Boy, does the U.S. have a strong cultural influence! I'm American, and recently started following several British Vloggers on YouTube. They basically take a camera everywhere they go throughout their day; around their city, in their home, traveling, etc. I must admit, I actually get confused at times whether I'm watching a British or American youtube video. They're all from different places; London, Brighton, Cobham, etc. One night I was watching one, and the people in the video were like: "Soooooo, this morning we're gonna first stop for a coffee at Starbuck's, then I'm coming back home to edit some vlogs on youtube, (all social media is American) then Jason and I are going to cinema to see Suicide Squad. I'm so excited. After that, maybe look around in Urban Outfitters, and OH I KNOW! We should get Five Guys for dinner! After they get home: Well, we decided against Five Guys; instead we're gonna have Heinz beans and cheese on toast, and watch Netflix. Seriously?? LOL.

I'm also learning little terms you guys say that mean the same as what we say, but are described differently:

We say pee, you say wee.
We say TV, you say Telly

I can't hash out or give an opinion on which of the countries in the poll are MOST like the UK, but all I know is when I watch British youtube, I feel right at home! That reminds me....my you tubers are always talking about shopping at John Lewis and Charlotte Tilsbury; I need to Google them. I've just gotten hip to Jo Malone perfumes, and recently purchased my first scent, and it's DELICIOUS. One of the girls in the video was wearing a man's robe from John Lewis that I MUST buy!
You watched a few videos, hence we're all like that

Old 09-22-2016, 06:48 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,029,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
You watched a few videos, hence we're all like that
Lighten up, mate.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Lighten up, mate.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:19 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,402,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Yeah, like I never said anything about being all inclusive. I just said you tubers I'm subscribed to make me feel at home, because so much American culture is a part of their lives. Sorry if you're offended.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,444,875 times
Quote:
Yeah, like I never said anything about being all inclusive. I just said you tubers I'm subscribed to make me feel at home, because so much American culture is a part of their lives. Sorry if you're offended.
So much American culture is all around us in the UK. Food outlets. tv and films. I feel right at home in America. Much more so than countries in Europe...... they feel truly foreign.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:

None taken! I kind of misread you point and overreacted so apologies!

Old 09-23-2016, 02:54 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So much American culture is all around us in the UK. Food outlets. tv and films. I feel right at home in America. Much more so than countries in Europe...... they feel truly foreign.
Music, TV and films are shared between all Anglo nations, its the language that ties, (some) Americans try and claim all Anglo culture but of course the reality is ALL Anglo nations put into the 'pot' and all share, whether its James Bond, Columbo, Crocodile Dundee, Amy Winehouse, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp, Mel Gibson, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, REM or Adele - all from different Anglo nations and all shared between Anglo nations. Without doubt when it comes to modern 'culture' the UK shares a lot more with Australia, Ireland or Canada than it does with Euro countries.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:21 PM

308 posts, read 238,160 times
Quote:

We say pee, you say wee.
We say TV, you say Telly

Ive never heard peppers called Capsicum even once over here.Everyone here calls them peppers.Some of the others are quite well used here, TV and pee(loads of slang words for pee lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom