Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country in the world is the most similar to the United Kingdom?
Netherlands 8 5.52%
Belgium 1 0.69%
France 5 3.45%
Denmark 5 3.45%
Norway 1 0.69%
Iceland 4 2.76%
Canada 28 19.31%
Australia 35 24.14%
New Zealand 35 24.14%
United States 23 15.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 04:04 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Music, TV and films are shared between all Anglo nations, its the language that ties, (some) Americans try and claim all Anglo culture but of course the reality is ALL Anglo nations put into the 'pot' and all share, whether its James Bond, Columbo, Crocodile Dundee, Amy Winehouse, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp, Mel Gibson, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, REM or Adele - all from different Anglo nations and all shared between Anglo nations. Without doubt when it comes to modern 'culture' the UK shares a lot more with Australia, Ireland or Canada than it does with Euro countries.
But how much Kiwi, Canadian or Australian popular culture are Brits really familiar with though? Sure American pop culture is everywhere, but the others? Things like the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach, AFL, iconic Aussie bands and songs from the last few decades like Divinyls or Khe Sanh, popular TV shows, the rodeo and country music scene in regional areas, mainstream comedians like Ahn Do? We don't even get much Kiwi TV or music here in Aus.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 09-23-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 02:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
But how much Kiwi, Canadian or Australian popular culture are Brits really familiar with though? Sure American pop culture is everywhere, but the others? Things like the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach, AFL, iconic Aussie bands and songs from the last few decades like Divinyls or Khe Sanh, popular TV shows, the rodeo and country music scene in regional areas, mainstream comedians like Ahn Do? We don't even get much Kiwi TV or music here in Aus.
Plenty more out of Australia (the other side of the world) than out of France (20 miles away) put it that way :-)

Old 09-24-2016, 02:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Sometimes when I watch a tv series or a movie I can't tell immediately whether it takes place in Britain or the US. Industrial cities like Manchester, Leeds, or Liverpool resemble the rustbelt cities in the US like Baltimore a lot. It's amazing how much British influence there is in the US even today. Usually the cars and the accent of the actors give away the location but the scenery is remarkably similar often.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:38 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So much American culture is all around us in the UK. Food outlets. tv and films. I feel right at home in America. Much more so than countries in Europe...... they feel truly foreign.
It's A two way exchange. Y'all have been sending us music and TV for years, not to mention all that Harry Potter movies, books etc. Of course we have our fascination with the royals, you would never know we went to war to get rid of them. They are on magazine covers, tv an movies and a royal visit is huge. Americans eat up all things British, seems we are not that different from our cousins across the pond.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:03 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It's A two way exchange. Y'all have been sending us music and TV for years, not to mention all that Harry Potter movies, books etc. Of course we have our fascination with the royals, you would never know we went to war to get rid of them. They are on magazine covers, tv an movies and a royal visit is huge. Americans eat up all things British, seems we are not that different from our cousins across the pond.
I grew up admiring all things American. To me, a kid in the sixties it seemed so glamorous. The telly was full of American shows....... I watched 'em all. Then, when I finally got to go to the US in 1988, I walked round Times Square, and it all seemed so familiar.

It was of course, because I had been watching backgrounds of America for decades on tv and films. I ended up on that first trip getting out as far as Ohio, and all the Americans I talked to were friendly, and easy to chat with. I have found the same thing every time I have visited since that time.

America is very different to England, and yet in some ways similar. England and America share something sometimes difficult to put into words. There's nowhere else I prefer to visit.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Exactly how I refer to the British; as our cousins. As for Canadians, our in-laws....

Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
That's only because a significant majority of Americans of British descent only mark "American" on the census form rather than any hyphenated description like people descended from almost every other nation do.
There's no "German American" entry on the US Census forms. Or any other hyphenated European name. It's White, Black, Asian, Native American, Hawaiian / Pacific, Two or more races. If you choose "White" you may specify "Hispanic" or "Non-Hispanic" and that's it.

There's no entry for "American" either. For obvious reasons.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Exactly how I refer to the British; as our cousins. As for Canadians, our in-laws....
LMAO I couldn't agree with this assessment more. British ppl are our cousins that we don't get to see much but we are very close with/are always excited to see. Canadians are our in-laws who are kind of annoying and always try to point out our flaws to make themselves feel better

Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Scotland is very similar to parts of the US, Canada and NZ

Old 10-12-2016, 01:41 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Ireland, Australia more than the U.S./Canada are most similar to the U.K.!
Many non-English speakers would easily say that the US and England are the most similar only because they ignore or have no idea of what countries like Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom