Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Japanese cars, actually.
No difference, as long as they are made by on of the old Axis countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estenopiteco View Post
It's not a who's bigger than who thread.

It is just a bit ridiculous to see the position some British naively have in regards to their relationship with the US.

1. USA is far more powerful and bigger than the UK, the US will NEVER look at the UK as an equal. That will NEVER happen. Our Equals are China, Russia, perhaps India and Brazil. The UK no way!

2. Comments such as We'll join NAFTA just shows how deluded some British are. What makes you think we want you? NAFTA is ran by the US and it has only two other states, Canada and Mexico. The UK has nothing to offer, it's not even on the same continent! NAFTA has given the US extensive control over North America, the last thing we want is a small European country with delusions of 19th century superpower in NAFTA.

3. The comments about India are hilarious and so out of touch with reality! Hey Brits.... YOU NEED INDIA, not the other way around! Nowadays India has the privilege to create strong economic connections with plenty of countries. (Recently India is closing ties with South American countries for example). Britain has little to offer to India!

4. America has many special relationships with France, Canada, Germany, Mexico, China, Russia, Cuba, Israel. What makes you think you're far more special than the rest? Take a number! You need us more than we need you!
Agree, and Obama told them before the vote that with respect to trade deals, they go to the back of the line, (end of queue).

Brits and French tend to focus on the WWII allies relationship, forgetting how quickly after WWII, Eisenhower, of German ancestry, hung both out to dry after they both succumbed to delusions of grandeur, and ignored his warnings not to invade Egypt. Eisenhower forced the British Navy to retreat from East of Suez, from which it has never recovered. Arguably, the straw that broke the empire's back, even if the empire was already on it's knees.

I believe Brexit will come to be known as the greatest act of unforced national self harm in history.
That's not to say I believe the EU is perfect.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The notion of the UK nuking the USA is a joke. Please stop deluding yourself. Seriously. One well placed nuclear bomb can knock just about every where that is important to the UK (which basically means London).

The USA is the 4th largest global nation (excluding Alaska) so a knock out blow by the UK against the USA is impossible.
We can still nuke the f*ck out of US cities too, we all lose, perhaps you will be one of the first to be 'nuked' eh?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estenopiteco View Post
American here, not intending to rain on anyone's parade but... Britain to most Americans = Pale people with bad teeth speaking with posh accents, and depressing comedies from the 70's on PBS.

Back in the 90's they also had princess Diana, but contrary to Britain which likes to claim America was obsessed with that wench, the only Americans who obsessed over her were tabloid reading, middle aged, bored, housewives from the 90's.
Back then we didn't have internet so tabloids were a way out, but Americans loved reading about LadyD not because they longed for Britain and the royals, they read about her in the same way they love to read about Beyonce or Kim Kardashian.

America is far too self absorbed to give a hoot about the UK. Usually when Americans think abroad they think about Putin, China, Middle East.

What makes you think that people in Britain give a flying f*ck about what 'Americans' think of them?? Look you can either 'trade' with the UK (I regularly buy from the US) or you don't, at the end of the day somebody has something to sell they don't usually give a damn who is buying, I don't seem to have any problems buying equipment from the States, I have some bloody good contacts there too, only too happy to ask 'how I am' whilst quoting me, I don't really care whether they mean it or not but I do get the impression they 'like' me Brexit or no Brexit! :-)

Old 09-19-2016, 12:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
There seems to be a tendency to under estimate/under rate/dismiss the British...the assumption being that bigger is better.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 09-19-2016 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 05:55 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Agree, and Obama told them before the vote that with respect to trade deals, they go to the back of the line, (end of queue).

Brits and French tend to focus on the WWII allies relationship, forgetting how quickly after WWII, Eisenhower, of German ancestry, hung both out to dry after they both succumbed to delusions of grandeur, and ignored his warnings not to invade Egypt. Eisenhower forced the British Navy to retreat from East of Suez, from which it has never recovered. Arguably, the straw that broke the empire's back, even if the empire was already on it's knees.

I believe Brexit will come to be known as the greatest act of unforced national self harm in history.
That's not to say I believe the EU is perfect.
^^^ All correct. Eisenhower all but punished Britain for the Egypt invasion. And that was it. The US cares about NATO, Germany and Russia politically. And Bush made Blair internationally relevant by including Britain in the Iraq/Afghanistan wars.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
The British seem to be trying to reinvent their country.

The UK as a "buccaneer" free trading country.

London as the Singapore of the West.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The British seem to be trying to reinvent their country.

The UK as a "buccaneer" free trading country.

London as the Singapore of the West.
It will take a lot of time. Trade negotiations are slow. For example, Canada had been negotiating a free trade agreement with India since 2011. I have no idea when that will be concluded.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Why not? Without the british original input the USA would not exist.

Except that its 250 years later and the USA is much more diverse than it used to be.

The USA isn't going to see the UK as its equal.

Think on this. The USA sees the UK on its own, much as you all see Ireland on its own.

Do you know that more Americans have roots in Ireland than in England? In addition that English identity is pretty much washed away, whereas St Patrick's Day is still quite popular.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:00 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Yes, we get it. America Ãœber Alles.

Accept this fact if you think that hitching up to the USA will offset your global influence that you will lose having left the EU.

I suspect that Europe mightn't look that bad after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom