Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the be more muslim state schools in the UK?
Yes 2 5.56%
No 34 94.44%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,398,139 times

Advertisements

The ideal for me would that religious indoctrination should be entirely left out of schooling. Schools obtaining state funding should be doing nothing but implementing a secular state curriculum that does not teach any theism, or atheism, as being true.

Schools should be about teaching what we have actual reason to think is true (science, maths, history, geography) and what we think is useful (literature, languages, cultures). The only places religion should be relevant there is in terms of history, geography, and literature and the effects religion has had on them....... and in the study of cultures and world religions.

If people want their personal hobby.... be it Islam or Christianity...... included in the education of children then they should do it in their MANY club houses like churches and mosques. But unsubstantiated nonsense, such as the existence of a non-human intelligent intentional agency that created our universe and is obsessed over who you sleep with, how, and in what position........ should have no place in our state curriculums whatsoever.

And I doubt, though I remain open minded, that the solution to radicals and sectarian hatred is to INCREASE the quantity of segregation and separation going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 06:57 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Looks like segregation to me. Isn't that somewhat frowned upon?
Its them who dont want to mix... they have schools and even nurseries here in Glasgow for Muslim kids..

Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM

308 posts, read 238,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its them who dont want to mix... they have schools and even nurseries here in Glasgow for Muslim kids..

Unfortunately there is a problem with religion in general in Glasgow and much of the west of Scotland.The Protestant/Catholic thing is way worse than here in England.After all Celtic v Rangers is largely a religious based thing,though a bit less so since Rangers signed Catholics(first one in 1989!!!).Muslim schools and nurseries only add to what is still a problem.Even if it has reduced a bit.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:15 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Unfortunately there is a problem with religion in general in Glasgow and much of the west of Scotland.The Protestant/Catholic thing is way worse than here in England.After all Celtic v Rangers is largely a religious based thing,though a bit less so since Rangers signed Catholics(first one in 1989!!!).Muslim schools and nurseries only add to what is still a problem.Even if it has reduced a bit.
Wrong!

The catholic/protestant thing in the West of Scotland is grossly overstated.

Further, Rangers have signed catholics right through their history. Here are just a few examples:

Archie 'Punch' Kyle 1904
Willie Kivlichan 1906
Colin Mainds 1906
Tom Murray 1907
Pat Lafferty 1886
Tom Dunbar 1891
J Tutty 1899 - 1900
William Brown 1912
Joe Donnachie c.1914
John Jackson 1917
Laurie Blyth 1951
Don Kichenbrand 1955
Hugh O'Neill 1976
John Spencer 1984
Mo Johnstone 1989.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Wrong!

The catholic/protestant thing in the West of Scotland is grossly overstated.

Further, Rangers have signed catholics right through their history. Here are just a few examples:

Archie 'Punch' Kyle 1904
Willie Kivlichan 1906
Colin Mainds 1906
Tom Murray 1907
Pat Lafferty 1886
Tom Dunbar 1891
J Tutty 1899 - 1900
William Brown 1912
Joe Donnachie c.1914
John Jackson 1917
Laurie Blyth 1951
Don Kichenbrand 1955
Hugh O'Neill 1976
John Spencer 1984
Mo Johnstone 1989.

15 in 85 years,one just under every 6 years.Also i bet they didnt know half of them were.Danny McGrain was Rangers daft as a kid,but the club didnt want to know,and so he signed for Celtic.Its well known that is because Rangers suspected,wrongly as it turned out,he was Catholic.

The Catholic/Protestant thing is miles worse in Western Scotland.There are a few orange marches in England each year.Just about every town in Western Scotland has one.In Larkhall they even break the green traffic lights.There are also republican marches in towns such as Coatbridge.Glasgow has several,even Edinburgh has one of them.

As i said with the peace process in Ireland and the Old Firm playing mixed teams,now with many overseas players,it is reducing.A very good friend of mine lives in Drumchapel,Old Firm match days arent for the faint hearted.While there are plenty of hooligans following English clubs,religion is not a part of it.

Muslim schools and nurseries dont help.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I doubt very much if that has anything to do with the Muslims... Have a read about Govanhill and the school with not one single Scottish child.. they dont want to mix and this only creates more problems..

Old 10-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I doubt very much if that has anything to do with the Muslims... Have a read about Govanhill and the school with not one single Scottish child.. they dont want to mix and this only creates more problems..

I dont think i possibly answered that too well.What i meant is in a city of religious tensions,the addition of a religion that wont,in the main integrate is certainly a recipe for disaster.Theres already Palestine flags at Celtic.Thats the Celtic fans not Muslims,but it only takes Muslims to get a hold of that and we have them and Rangers,whose fans claim are the club of the UK forces and all hell could break loose.

They dont integrate in my nearest big town,Middlesbrough either,they live in the centre of town and are surrounded by huge estates of whites.Like self imposed segregation.But i doubt they would get their own school,unless it was private,though some town centre schools are majority Muslim now.Still enough whites in much of the centre,many victims of Pakistani absentee landlords.

Someone seems to have voted yes to the poll.some odd folk about

Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
15 in 85 years,one just under every 6 years.Also i bet they didnt know half of them were.Danny McGrain was Rangers daft as a kid,but the club didnt want to know,and so he signed for Celtic.Its well known that is because Rangers suspected,wrongly as it turned out,he was Catholic.

The Catholic/Protestant thing is miles worse in Western Scotland.There are a few orange marches in England each year.Just about every town in Western Scotland has one.In Larkhall they even break the green traffic lights.There are also republican marches in towns such as Coatbridge.Glasgow has several,even Edinburgh has one of them.

As i said with the peace process in Ireland and the Old Firm playing mixed teams,now with many overseas players,it is reducing.A very good friend of mine lives in Drumchapel,Old Firm match days arent for the faint hearted.While there are plenty of hooligans following English clubs,religion is not a part of it.

Muslim schools and nurseries dont help.
Those were examples and not an exhaustive list.

I have been going to OF matches since the 1960s, never had a problem or felt threatened.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:38 AM

The whole thing is that schools should be for education and only education , and not to fill childrens heads with religious nonsense...if thats what some want there are churches for this sort of thing.... faith schools should be banned.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,606,462 times
[quote=other99;45745122]You can have a case of schools that should not be religious focused but how about state secular schools striving to match academic standards of religious schools?

Also Paul Barber, director of the Catholic Education Service said: “Catholic schools outperform the national average English and Maths SATs scores by six percentage points, this is an immense achievement considering our primary schools are more ethnically diverse than the average school and take in significantly more children from the most disadvantaged backgrounds.

Official figures published by the Department for Education showed that more than five in 10 of the top performing primaries were Church of England, Roman Catholic or Jewish schools.
[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/ Also a very large proportion of the students go there are not Christian/Jewish either, but their parents want them to go there due to that aspect.

I can't see there are Muslim schools that are performing academically better than the state government schools, but even so schools chief aim should be to improve the academic standards of their students.[/QUOTE]

This isn't a mystery - its because when you look at children who ended up in those schools you are actually selecting for motivated parents. Parental involvement in pupil's education, including attentiveness to homework, attending parent meetings, and all the usual paraphernalia, is a strong indicator of educational success and can even overcomes economic correlations. Those kids don't randomly end up in those schools - its motivated parents (including poor motivated parents) putting them there - so your sample ends up biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom