Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the be more muslim state schools in the UK?
Yes 2 5.56%
No 34 94.44%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:55 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,585,303 times

Advertisements

Here's is a link to the BBC article give it a read:
Should there be more Muslim state schools? - BBC News

The British Government want to build more Muslim state Schools in order to reduce radicalism. However, I personally think this is a completely bad idea, in fact, I think there should be a ban on all faith schools. School should be focused on English, Maths, Sciences, Physical Education and other rational subjects like Life Skills. Religion should be only a domestic thing.

Also, don't care what your religion is, or how you want to express it, I just think that all teachings of religion should be stripped away from the school curriculum, as its all believe, not fact. RE should be a chosen subject, and most teachings of religion should be taught outside of schools. The government should not waste public money on the non-rational subject that causes wars anyway (that's for all religions by the way!), particularly schools that see a particular religion as more important than rational (science!)!

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Everyone should intergrate in respoect of education, thereby helping communities intergrate in to wider society.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:55 AM

13,656 posts, read 10,050,717 times
Looks like segregation to me. Isn't that somewhat frowned upon?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:07 AM

969 posts, read 826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Here's is a link to the BBC article give it a read:
Should there be more Muslim state schools? - BBC News

The British Government want to build more Muslim state Schools in order to reduce radicalism. However, I personally think this is a completely bad idea, in fact, I think there should be a ban on all faith schools. School should be focused on English, Maths, Sciences, Physical Education and other rational subjects like Life Skills. Religion should be only a domestic thing.

Also, don't care what your religion is, or how you want to express it, I just think that all teachings of religion should be stripped away from the school curriculum, as its all believe, not fact. RE should be a chosen subject, and most teachings of religion should be taught outside of schools. The government should not waste public money on the non-rational subject that causes wars anyway (that's for all religions by the way!), particularly schools that see a particular religion as more important than rational (science!)!

What do you think?
What do I think?

I think they should teach what "rational" means to everyone in public or private education by 6th form.

Leibnizian Cosmological Argument
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/on...cal-arguments/

Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
I don't think there should be any 'religious' state schools. Catholic, jewish, C of E, muslim, etc.. They should all be non-denominational and secular. If people want religious education then they should make private arrangements.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:55 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,990,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't think there should be any 'religious' state schools. Catholic, jewish, C of E, muslim, etc.. They should all be non-denominational and secular. If people want religious education then they should make private arrangements.

You can have a case of schools that should not be religious focused but how about state secular schools striving to match academic standards of religious schools?

Also Paul Barber, director of the Catholic Education Service said: “Catholic schools outperform the national average English and Maths SATs scores by six percentage points, this is an immense achievement considering our primary schools are more ethnically diverse than the average school and take in significantly more children from the most disadvantaged backgrounds.

Official figures published by the Department for Education showed that more than five in 10 of the top performing primaries were Church of England, Roman Catholic or Jewish schools.
[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/ Also a very large proportion of the students go there are not Christian/Jewish either, but their parents want them to go there due to that aspect.

I can't see there are Muslim schools that are performing academically better than the state government schools, but even so schools chief aim should be to improve the academic standards of their students.

Last edited by other99; 10-07-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,120,362 times
Quote:
This +1

The state shouldn't encourage RE. Leave that to the private sector. Focus on a comprehensive education and leave such a divisive subject-matter for elsewhere.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
You can have a case of schools that should not be religious focused but how about state secular schools striving to match academic standards of religious schools?

Also Paul Barber, director of the Catholic Education Service said: “Catholic schools outperform the national average English and Maths SATs scores by six percentage points, this is an immense achievement considering our primary schools are more ethnically diverse than the average school and take in significantly more children from the most disadvantaged backgrounds.

Official figures published by the Department for Education showed that more than five in 10 of the top performing primaries were Church of England, Roman Catholic or Jewish schools.

Also a very large proportion of the students go there are not Christian/Jewish either, but their parents want them to go there due to that aspect.

I can't see there are Muslim schools that are performing academically better than the state government schools, but even so schools chief aim should be to improve the academic standards of their students.
That is because faith schools operate a "back door social selection".

"The results from the faith school sector shows what happens when schools do not operate on a level playing field and are skewed towards serving the affluent, rather than deprived."

"many people of faith are appalled that schools that should focus on the poor have instead become so elitist. If people want selection, then be upfront and call for Grammar Schools – but do not use religion as a mask for it."

http://accordcoalition.org.uk/2013/1...ial-selection/

Do religious schools teach hypocrisy as well?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,990,303 times
Quote:
That is because faith schools operate a "back door social selection".

"The results from the faith school sector shows what happens when schools do not operate on a level playing field and are skewed towards serving the affluent, rather than deprived."

"many people of faith are appalled that schools that should focus on the poor have instead become so elitist. If people want selection, then be upfront and call for Grammar Schools – but do not use religion as a mask for it."

Faith schools performance due to back door social selection | Accord Coalition

Do religious schools teach hypocrisy as well?
There are faith schools that are elitist, and there are schools that cost tens of thousands of pounds, but that their parents choice to send their students there. But there is a lot of faith based schools that are not like that. Many, many faith schools out there are poor.

Anyway despite the increased secularism society and more and more people not seeing themselves as Christian, Christian school numbers and amount of students have increased. This trend is not just in the UK, but overseas as well including my country. It due to the reasons I posted previously.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM

969 posts, read 826,650 times
Primary school tables: faith schools dominating rankings

Pretty impressive isn't it? There seems to be a great deal of demand for them because of their elite status. Also quite funny that parents are starting to attend Church just so that their kids can meet the entrance criteria for their dream school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
There are faith schools that are elitist, and there are schools that cost tens of thousands of pounds, but that their parents choice to send their students there. But there is a lot of faith based schools that are not like that. Many, many faith schools out there are poor.

Anyway despite the increased secularism society and more and more people not seeing themselves as Christian, Christian school numbers and amount of students have increased. This trend is not just in the UK, but overseas as well including my country. It due to the reasons I posted previously.
CofE schools are generally socioeconomically inclusive, yet they still outperform the national average by a significant margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom