Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,365,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Perhaps because of the success of Anglo 'popular' culture in the 21st century? The prominence of the English language perhaps? The British Empire perhaps? They have always looked down their nose at us for sure, to be honest with you considering we are neighbours it is the usual love/hate relationship, they won't admit to it but all in all we are probably closer to each other than we would all like to admit! :-D
It's funny, because real French people, like those actually living there and not edgy internet warriors, couldn't care less about the UK. And I don't mean that in a negative way. UK pop culture, the English language and the Empire? You really think that this is what's regular French people are concerned with?

Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Who's idea was BREXIT anyway?
When we joined the EU, it was known as the Common Market. Back then, it was just a core group of major European countries. It was sold to us as a way of trading without tariffs or barriers. Over the years, it started to get bigger, and more political. This made us uneasy. Margaret Thatcher in particular, didn't like the direction, the now named EU was going in.

Then, it was expanded to include many Eastern European countries. Up until then, we had put up with the treaties, and the general direction of the EU, even though we didn't like it. I think the beginning of the real anger among many British citizens, especially in the north of England, was the mass movement of Polish citizens to my country. Most European countries had barriers stopping Polish people being allowed employment for a few years. We didn't do this, and in a very short time, hundreds of thousands of Poles came to live in Britain.

This was the beginning of the real unease. Our government of the time said they expected about 10,000 to come. Since then, other Eastern European countries have joined the EU, and their citizens also have moved to my country. Each year, we are told of record immigration. Our resources like schools, housing, and the NHS have been stretched beyond their limits.

The underlying distrust of the EU, and the direction it is going in, was finally addressed by PM David Cameron. He decided this issue needed sorting once and for all. He said he was going to the EU with his demands, and then offer the UK population a vote on whether to remain, or leave the EU. My ears pricked up at this promise of a vote. I knew it was a big mistake, and we would vote to leave the EU. Cameron went with his pathetic demands, which didn't even include a demand for the end of free movement to my country. Even his feeble entreaties were met with derision from many within the EU. He came back like Neville Chamberlain in 1938, waving his pathetic victory paper. I was sickened by his weakness.

I voted for the Tories for the first time in my life to get that vote. The day was set, and the fright campaign began. Europe threatened us, President Obama threatened us, the European bank threatened us, our own government threatened us. They handed a vote to every person they thought would help ensure victory for remain. Even to Irish citizens living in Britain. The Irish government urged them to vote remain. I still thought we could do it, and my posts on city-data are there for all to see from before the vote.

Against the odds we won. Nobody in authority could believe it. They thought it was in the bag. Political heads started to roll. It was great watching it. The PM quit, followed by his Chancellor. Theresa May, had a conversion on the way to Damascus, and became the now eager to quit the EU Prime Minister. The usual suspects squeal 'we don't wanna leave the EU!!' Tough....... we had a democratic vote, and you lost. As I have told you red for many months, we are going to leave the EU. What comes next, who knows?

Last edited by English Dave; 02-15-2017 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 AM

1,529 posts, read 920,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
When we joined the EU, it was known as the Common Market. Back then, it was just a core group of major European countries. It was sold to us as a way of trading without tariffs or barriers. Over the years, it started to get bigger, and more political. This made us uneasy. Margaret Thatcher in particular, didn't like the direction, the now named EU was going in.

Then, it was expanded to include many Eastern European countries. Up until then, we had put up with the treaties, and the general direction of the EU, even though we didn't like it. I think the beginning of the real anger among many British citizens, especially in the north of England, was the mass movement of Polish citizens to my country. Most European countries had barriers stopping Polish people being allowed employment for a few years. We didn't do this, and in a very short time, hundreds of thousands of Poles came to live in Britain.

This was the beginning of the real unease. Our government of the time said they expected about 10,000 to come. Since then, other Eastern European countries have joined the EU, and their citizens also have moved to my country. Each year, we are told of record immigration. Our resources like schools, housing, and the NHS have been stretched beyond their limits.

The underlying distrust of the EU, and the direction it is going in, was finally addressed by PM David Cameron. He decided this issue needed sorting once and for all. He said he was going to the EU with his demands, and then offer the UK population a vote on whether to remain, or leave the EU. My ears pricked up at this promise of a vote. I knew it was a big mistake, and we would vote to leave the EU. Cameron went with his pathetic demands, which didn't even include a demand for the end of free movement to my country. Even his feeble entreaties were met with derision from many within the EU. He came back like Neville Chamberlain in 1938, waving his pathetic victory paper. I was sickened by his weakness.

I voted for the Tories for the first time in my life to get that vote. The day was set, and the fright campaign began. Europe threatened us, President Obama threatened us, the European bank threatened us, our own government threatened us. They handed a vote to every person they thought would help ensure victory for remain. Even to Irish citizens living in Britain. The Irish government urged them to vote remain. I still thought we could do it, and my posts on city-data are there for all to see from before the vote.

Against the odds we won. Nobody in authority could believe it. They thought it was in the bag. Political heads started to roll. It was great watching it. The PM quit, followed by his Chancellor. Theresa May, had a conversion on the way to Damascus, and became the now eager to quit the EU Prime Minister. The usual suspects squeal 'we don't wanna leave the EU!!' Tough....... we had a democratic vote, and you lost. As I have told you red for many months, we are going to leave the EU. What comes next, who knows?
Got up in the middle of the night to get a cold drink. So here I am reading your response and wondering. Have to digest your comments, go back to bed and think of what to say. I was living in England in the mid sixties. Must have been about the time when it all started. Have to do some backtracking. Those were the days of the
Teddyboys? and the Profumo affair. Night.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,112,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It's funny, because real French people, like those actually living there and not edgy internet warriors, couldn't care less about the UK. And I don't mean that in a negative way. UK pop culture, the English language and the Empire? You really think that this is what's regular French people are concerned with?
Hey the question was asked and I surmised, perhaps you would like to suggest what it is that makes the French (and other Europeans) 'look down their noses' at the British?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Ever since Trump was said to visit the UK people thought there would be a trade agreement in no time. Whether that's likely or not, i don't want to judge in this branch of city-data.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no specific trade agreement-yet-between the UK and the USA. Absent such an agreement, I believe that WTO rules would apply.

The volume of trade between the two countries is considerable, with the USA being the individual country that is UK's most important trading partner.

The UK trades more with EU countries as a group, than with anyone else. However, trade with the EU is a shrinking percentage in recent years. To make Brexit economically viable, the British need to switch more of their trade to other parts of the world.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 02-16-2017 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there is no specific trade agreement-yet-between the UK and the USA. Absent such an agreement, I believe that WTO rules would apply.

The volume of trade between the two countries is considerable, with the USA being the individual country that is UK's most important trading partner.

The UK trades more with EU countries as a group, than with anyone else. However, trade with the EU is a shrinking percentage in recent years. To make Brexit economically viable, the British need to switch more of their trade to other parts of the world.
There is no specific trade agreement between the EU and the USA. When the UK leaves the EU there is no change until an agreement is signed.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Hello Dave,

So you were sold a bill of goods called Common Market and you bought it. Then it got bigger and eventually it became the EU. Then the immigrants came and everybody just wanted to live in the good old UK. You didn't like it and it became to much for you. Your PM went to the EU to sort it out but did not accomplish much. You decided to leave the EU and in spite of threats from all over Europe even the USA and against all odds you succeeded, and by a very narrow margin voted in favor of leaving. So you won, did you really? I sure as heck don't know who lost. Once you are gone (when?) there will be 27 countries left willing to trade with you on EU terms, not yours. Quite rightly you said, what comes next who knows? Actually we do know, do you?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Isn't it obvious why there is a camp the French side of the channel? If you moved into Europe and you had to 'choose' your new nationality you are obviously going to choose British aren't you!
What is so special about becoming British?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
What is so special about becoming British?
Look at the alternatives .... French, German? Quelle horreur.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
Quote:

Hello Dave,

So you were sold a bill of goods called Common Market and you bought it. Then it got bigger and eventually it became the EU. Then the immigrants came and everybody just wanted to live in the good old UK. You didn't like it and it became to much for you. Your PM went to the EU to sort it out but did not accomplish much. You decided to leave the EU and in spite of threats from all over Europe even the USA and against all odds you succeeded, and by a very narrow margin voted in favor of leaving. So you won, did you really? I sure as heck don't know who lost. Once you are gone (when?) there will be 27 countries left willing to trade with you on EU terms, not yours. Quite rightly you said, what comes next who knows? Actually we do know, do you?
You know what's coming next, after we trigger Article 50? Well, that's great red. Do tell me. Not about the negotiations, we all know that. You tell me what you think will come at the end of them. I have my opinion on that. You tell me yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom