Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 688 times

Advertisements

Belfast is the beautiful Supermarket in the UK.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,122,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
M&S has the highest quality produce but you have to pay for it! We usually shop in Asda (near and cheap), Aldi or Lidle seem the cheapest, we occasionally shop at these stores to save a bit of money. The big one - Tesco's seems to be losing a bit of ground these days.
Marks & Sparks, used to supply great cakes & chocolates a few years back; but they seem to have lost their way just lately.

Not much love for Asda on this thread either; although having said that I only bother during emergencies.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post

Not much love for Asda on this thread either; although having said that I only bother during emergencies.
Wash your mouth out with soap Zola!! ASDA! ASDA!.........

Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wash your mouth out with soap Zola!! ASDA! ASDA!.........
SAINSBURY'S, SAINSBURY'S

Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
SAINSBURY'S, SAINSBURY'S
You win....... I don't know how to make my words blacker............ Just a quietly croaked asda....asda.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
SAINSBURY'S, SAINSBURY'S
Plus....... you gotta be rich to shop in Sainsbury's. Boy, it's expensive in there. Same with Marks and Sparks. The food section there is full of elderly elites......... I must admit though, Marks make a fine Christmas cake!!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,652 times
I used to use ASDA, but when new boss Andy Clark took over and said that " Food quality is something ASDA hadn't been as focused on in the past as it should have been" I headed for Sainsbury's and I still shop there.

I use Waitrose sometimes as well.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 AM

The problem with these major supermarkets is that they're just like the major banks, major energy suppliers, major broadband providers, major petrol stations et al, is they all appear to work in one big monopoly or cartel.

They offer the customer the perception they compete against one another, but the reality is that they probably set their own prices ever-so-gradually upwards, while we think we're getting a good deal!

Inevitably we never do, and the so-called government watchdogs/quangos, do a lot of barking but never actually bite!

Rant over

Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
The problem with these major supermarkets is that they're just like the major banks, major energy suppliers, major broadband providers, major petrol stations et al, is they all appear to work in one big monopoly or cartel.

They offer the customer the perception they compete against one another, but the reality is that they probably set their own prices ever-so-gradually upwards, while we think we're getting a good deal!

Inevitably we never do, and the so-called government watchdogs/quangos, do a lot of barking but never actually bite!

Rant over
That's why the major supermarkets squeal about cut price stores like Aldi and Lidl. They don't play by the major's rules, and they don't like it.

For instance a large tub of coleslaw is 59p in Aldi. Same size in ASDA - £1.25p. So how come it's twice the price in ASDA? That's just one item among many. We do our major shopping these days in Aldi, and ASDA for essentials like proper bacardi and vodka.......

Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,948,462 times
For us, it was a question of convenience. Tesco was 100 yards away, Waitrose 300 yards away, Marks & Sparks 200 yards away and Iceland 300 yards away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom