Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 10:47 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
" Hanging on the tailcoats of the yanks " ?

Presuming you mean coat-tails the UK is the biggest foreign investor in the USA( $449 billion) and accounts for over one million jobs there.

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I have a clear rule in Brexit discussions - anyone who mentions the Empire is a nincompoop and you manage it in your first sentence.
I did mean coat tails

I am not saying the UK shouldn't invest in the US, I have and am happy with that.

I believe the UK needs to trade with as many people as possible and see that being regressive like Trump's trade wars or having Brexit is not a good move for society in general.

The world's getting smaller and working together is the only way forward, going backwards, is, well backwards !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
A few years ago people started commenting online that the EU had begun to resemble the Holy Roman Empire.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:18 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,723 times
I think Brit summed himself up well when he with a touch of arrogance said that Remainers are the employers while the leavers are employees.
My simple view is you either amputate 2x fingers, or eventually die of EU gangrene.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I think Brit summed himself up well when he with a touch of arrogance said that Remainers are the employers while the leavers are employees.
My simple view is you either amputate 2x fingers, or eventually die of EU gangrene.
Not arrogant just my perspective.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I employ a number of people not lots, but enough, I've paid millions in tax which I hate but have a decent life because of the opportunities I've had due to the UK being in the EU.

Most the people I know wanting the UK to stay are forward thinking and generally self dependant people, most of those wanting to leave are very basic to say the least and these include family members.

We all have a point of view which are all valid.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I employ a number of people not lots, but enough, I've paid millions in tax which I hate but have a decent life because of the opportunities I've had due to the UK being in the EU.

Most the people I know wanting the UK to stay are forward thinking and generally self dependant people, most of those wanting to leave are very basic to say the least and these include family members.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,723 times
I think most ex pats would want to stay , as you say it has benefitted you and your life their. Leaving would make your community worse off, I do hear you, paying high tax is not good, I pay enough...
Still think arrogant is the right word,

Old 08-24-2018, 02:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,405,260 times
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...o=0&autoplay=1

Old 08-25-2018, 02:30 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It's the European way, they did it with Ireland for the Lisbon Treaty in 2008, pressured Denmark to do it too. Seems like the strategy is, if the government is in step with Europe it's all good, if not pressure for a referendum, if that fails pressure for a second referendum.

It's like the EU don't respect the democratic process or something.
People forget that Ireland had two referendums on the Nice Treaty as well.
The embarrassing thing for the Irish is that the Prime Minister of Ireland at the time of the Lisbon fiasco Brian Cowen admitted he hadn't read the Treaty he was urging the country to vote for.Mind you,he was and is a renowned drunkard.
Ireland's reward for caving in to the threats of a French midget ? Being totally shafted by the EU over the bank bailout.
And they're still slavishly loyal to the EU who'll toss them aside like a used condom when they've served their purpose during the Brexit negotiations.
The 12.5% corporate tax rate and the tech giants paying negligible tax to hide their assets in the notoriously corrupt Irish financial system will be in their sights.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post

Basically in a nutshell the arrogance and superiority complex displayed by many Remoaners who consider the 17.4 million people who voted Leave to be thicker than them.

It's one of the reasons why Remain lost the referendum.

Tow years on and it's clear they still haven't learned from their mistake.

They're the Hillary Clinton of Brexit voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom