Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM

1,129 posts, read 471,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Basically in a nutshell the arrogance and superiority complex displayed by many Remoaners who consider the 17.4 million people who voted Leave to be thicker than them.

It's one of the reasons why Remain lost the referendum.

Tow years on and it's clear they still haven't learned from their mistake.

They're the Hillary Clinton of Brexit voters.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the majority of people are thick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 01:44 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,451,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the majority of people are thick.
Many people are tired of mass immigration. Decades of it. It hasn't been true immigration, it's been an invasion. Not just from the EU, but from outside it.

My country is unrecognisable from my youth. It makes many of us uneasy, and fearful of what is coming down the line.

Many have left to live in places like Spain, and have no intention of coming back to a land they don't recognise any more.

Before you say, it's ridiculous for me to argue against immigration, when some British have left these shores, to become immigrants themselves, my answer is this.

How many British people leave for foreign shores, and become a burden on their new country? How many of them demand social housing, and take money from the hard working taxpayers of their new country? Plus the amount that have left, is small compared to the immigration we have had to put up with.

You will say, ah, most immigrants contribute more than they take. This is arguable, and tests show the benefit financially is small, if anything. After all, many are young, and have children. They will claim tax credits, family allowance, and of course, the use of our NHS. The strains they cause on our society just isn't worth any small financial gains.

All surveys for decades have shown the unease over mass immigration. What do we get for these fears? Ever more immigration. Our politicians say one thing, and do another. Well, those fears came to a head with the EU vote. David Cameron went cap in hand, begging for a few scraps as a sop for the British population. He got nothing but disdain.

We voted as we did because we want immigration cutting. We don't want to be swamped by foreigners in our own country. We don't want eastern Europe's rubbish like Roma gypsies infesting our towns. We don't want to walk round feeling we are in a foreign land. We have had enough.

There are certain politicians who want another vote. If it is a fair one, and no votes given to people like Irish citizens living in my country, then leave will win again. Surveys show how close the vote would be if another one was called. Maybe slightly the remain way, possibly. Even if it goes that way, which in a fair vote, I don't think it will, you will still have a massive part of the population voting to leave.

Politicians know this. You can't keep calling a vote until you get the one that politicians want. They are to blame for all this anger. They are the ones who have allowed my country to be invaded. Some politicians recognise the danger here, and the righteous anger. It takes a lot to get the British angry, but we are mad as hell, and sick of being ignored for many decades.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:11 AM

I don’t disagree with anything your saying at all

I know how the Uk’s Changed and I won’t be returning ever due to this.

Immigration is out of control in Europe too and needs to stop.

Leaving the EU won’t stop immigrants entering the Uk though, the left will keep letting them in no matter what happens.

The Uks had a leading role in Europe and it should stay in my opinion and push for the changes that are needed and secure Europe’s boarders, it’s not just the UK that’s fed up with this.

The UK need to change its benefit culture for everyone not just immigrants, nobody should be encouraged to sit on their arse at the expense of others unless they have a real disability.

In Spain teenage pregnancy is rare, no free houses here, even people with physical disabilities are encouraged to do some type of work to not only give them income but to give them self respect.

Don’t get me wrong Spain’s not perfect either but I see the benefits of the EU and want total integration where we all pay the same taxes and have the same rules.

We are stronger together and Brexit is playing on people’s fears like immigration when in reality it is backwards and will not solve anything.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,524,856 times
Quote:
Do you include yourself in the majority ?
And is that a majority of people per se or just the people who voted for Leave ?

Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,451,707 times
Quote:
I don’t disagree with anything your saying at all

I know how the Uk’s Changed and I won’t be returning ever due to this.

Immigration is out of control in Europe too and needs to stop.

Leaving the EU won’t stop immigrants entering the Uk though, the left will keep letting them in no matter what happens.

The Uks had a leading role in Europe and it should stay in my opinion and push for the changes that are needed and secure Europe’s boarders, it’s not just the UK that’s fed up with this.

The UK need to change its benefit culture for everyone not just immigrants, nobody should be encouraged to sit on their arse at the expense of others unless they have a real disability.

In Spain teenage pregnancy is rare, no free houses here, even people with physical disabilities are encouraged to do some type of work to not only give them income but to give them self respect.

Don’t get me wrong Spain’s not perfect either but I see the benefits of the EU and want total integration where we all pay the same taxes and have the same rules.

We are stronger together and Brexit is playing on people’s fears like immigration when in reality it is backwards and will not solve anything.
My personal interests are remain. Retired, own my home, three pensions. I voted to leave the EU not for my own selfish needs, but for the young British people. The ones who can't afford the high rents, and house prices caused in part, by pressure from immigration. I do not want to see ten foreigners living in a two bedroomed house. It is degrading, and not what a civilised society should have to put up with.

This last 20 years, immigration has accelerated, and is now causing massive strain on the social fabric of my country. Our young are dispirited, and envy, and yes, in some cases despise the older people who they feel have had the best of everything, and have pulled up the drawbridge, and don't give a damn for them.

It is a poisonous molotov cocktail ready to blow up in our faces. We have enough to deal with, trying to figure out a way forward with Muslims in Britain, without this continuous immigration from poorer parts of the EU, and even Africa. If a grip isn't gotten, eventually we will have a civil war in this country. Yes, I don't say that lightly, and politicians with their heads in the sand don't make things any better.

Social housing being handed out to single mothers began in the 70s. It was a massive mistake, rewarding the feckless, and useless. Thatcher's policies in the 80s made things even worse for the working class of this country. Then we got Blair, and his opening of the immigration gates.

The EU have shown their true colours before, and after the vote. Their disdain from people like Jean Claude Junckner was quite enough for me. I have no regrets voting to leave their little club, and will do so again if I have to.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Do you include yourself in the majority ?
And is that a majority of people per se or just the people who voted for Leave ?
I don’t include myself in the majority

After the life I’ve led it might come over conceited but hones it’s not, it’s just a fact of life.

I have no degree or diplomas but employ people who have, my grades at school would say I was thick, looking back I was dyslexic, what I have is commonl sense.

Thick is a harsh word but lots if not most people are basic at best and struggle through life.

Some people have great potential but don’t realise it and look to others to take the lead and sit back and don’t achieve their own potential.

Probably ten percent look around the room and think hang on a minute and step up, these in my mind are the people who go out and create jobs and opportunities for the rest of us, the risk takers if you will.

I spent nearly 30 years looking for others to make the decisions for me before I had to step up, that was as a firefighter when someone was going to die and the people I was looking to didn’t lead, I took the lead then and on my station from that day forward, I was and am no better than anybody else but am confident in making decisions others won’t or can’t.

I enjoyed my time as a firefighter and have a cheif fire officer commendation and letters of thanks from the home office for incidents I was involved in.

Like I say I’m no better a person than anyone else and I’ll leave this world with nothing just like the rest of us.

Last edited by britinspain; 09-20-2018 at 03:23 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
My personal interests are remain. Retired, own my home, three pensions. I voted to leave the EU not for my own selfish needs, but for the young British people. The ones who can't afford the high rents, and house prices caused in part, by pressure from immigration. I do not want to see ten foreigners living in a two bedroomed house. It is degrading, and not what a civilised society should have to put up with.

This last 20 years, immigration has accelerated, and is now causing massive strain on the social fabric of my country. Our young are dispirited, and envy, and yes, in some cases despise the older people who they feel have had the best of everything, and have pulled up the drawbridge, and don't give a damn for them.

It is a poisonous molotov cocktail ready to blow up in our faces. We have enough to deal with, trying to figure out a way forward with Muslims in Britain, without this continuous immigration from poorer parts of the EU, and even Africa. If a grip isn't gotten, eventually we will have a civil war in this country. Yes, I don't say that lightly, and politicians with their heads in the sand don't make things any better.

Social housing being handed out to single mothers began in the 70s. It was a massive mistake, rewarding the feckless, and useless. Thatcher's policies in the 80s made things even worse for the working class of this country. Then we got Blair, and his opening of the immigration gates.

The EU have shown their true colours before, and after the vote. Their disdain from people like Jean Claude Junckner was quite enough for me. I have no regrets voting to leave their little club, and will do so again if I have to.
Immigration to the UK had started way before Merkle got soft, this isn’t a EU created issue and leaving the EU won’t change or improve this unfortunately.

I grew up in Birmingham and saw the immigration in the 80’s, it was concentrated then to areas with big Victorian houses like small heath and Handsworth where they could buy houses between a few families and live together.

I later moved to Yorkshire in the early 90’s and the same thing was going on there in Bradford and Leeds, it wasn’t a big issue, the people were generally nice and worked hard and were respectful.

I went back to Birmingham last year and was really shocked at the change, I went to a shopping center and I could have been in Kabul, I was totally in the minority with the majority wearing burkas and white robes and sandals, it also worries me how that the children of these immigrants are in the news now being anything but respectful.

I get the let’s save our culture thing and get a grip on our boarders but this doesn’t justify brexit in my mind.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,524,856 times
Quote:
I don’t include myself in the majority
You don't say ...

Reminds me of another Brit in Spain

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk

Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
You don't say ...

Reminds me of another Brit in Spain

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk

He was funny

Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,291,772 times
Quote:
That's the price of democracy.

Don't worry I'm 4 sigma upper IQ level, everyone is pretty thick to me. Try trusting your Doc, when by your standards he can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom