Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times

Advertisements

I'm sure they would rather not lose it, but that's very different to 'doing everything in their power to prevent the UK from leaving' which simply isn't happening.

Don't forget they will also lose about 8% of their spending commitments if the UK leaves too as they won't need to fund EU spending in the UK.

It will probably be all countries that make up the difference, those that are net recipients will have to make do with a few less € per head, those that are net contributors will have to give a few more € per head. We are not talking massive sums though, and with the relocations of some financial services and manufacturing jobs from the UK that will boost tax receipts in some EU countries anyway to make up for it.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:05 PM

336 posts, read 147,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Cobblers.
You can take your pick of any news site but here's the FT's take on the referendum.

" The offer of a referendum in 2013 was intended to stop Conservative voters defecting to the anti-EU UK Independence party "

Where were UKIP?

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/why-david-came...eu-referendum/

Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The leadership contest was caused by a failure to deliver Brexit by both Theresa May's Government and Parliament. Nigel Farage has nothing to do with he British Parliament and the failure to deliver Brexit, and UKIP made only tiny inroads in to mainstream politics, whilst the Brexit party is still in it's infancy.

In terms of my post, I stated that I thought Boris would win the grassroots support, however there are two sides of the Tory Party, the Tory Right or Dry's who are Brexiteers, and the more moderate centre right Tory Wets or one nation Tories, the former will no doubt back Johnson, the latter will most likely put their weight behind Hunt, which is why I believe the final two wil be Johnson and Hunt.

Johnson is already through to the final round, and the only real credible alternative in relation to the more moderate wing of the party is Hunt, which is why I suspect Hunt will be the other candidate. I suspect Hancock will now stand down, Stewart will be gone on Tuesday, and that Stewart and his supporters will then throw their weight behind Hunt.

Gove, Javid and Raab are all Brexiteers and don't offer any real alternative to Boris, and are just pale imitations of Boris, whilst the Tory Right want a big political figure to take on Farage, and Johnson very much fits the bill.

In terms of Hunt, the Right are not potraying him as just Theresa May in trousers, and the grassroot tories seem to be very Pro-Brexit giving Boris Johnson a massive advantage in any future grassroots vote.

Thst is my personal prediction, although Tory leadership battles are not always predictable.
Brexit Party still in its infancy .....

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/st...74852367278081

Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
If the EU doesn't give a fig about the UK why is it doing everything in its power to prevent it leaving the organisation ?
Probably the 13% of its budget the Uk currently pays - the third largest of any EU country after Germany and France.
I think you perhaps ought to consider seeing a doctor - you have a very severe case of Brexit Derangement Syndrome.
EU I suspect will be as happy as many Briton's will be to see the end of all the whole shoddy affair. I think you are suffering a form of 'island fever' and need to get over to the mainland to be able to arrive at some cohesive thought away from the corruptive influences of Daily Express and other foreign owned media publicans, advocating parties with greater authoritarian agendas to the right of politics with less freedoms.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
EU I suspect will be as happy as many Briton's will be to see the end of all the whole shoddy affair. I think you are suffering a form of 'island fever' and need to get over to the mainland to be able to arrive at some cohesive thought away from the corruptive influences of Daily Express and other foreign owned media publicans, advocating parties with greater authoritarian agendas to the right of politics with less freedoms.
I currently live on another island than Great Britain.
When I want to wind up my Irish chums I tell them I'll be visiting the " mainland " shortly.
It never fails.
Unfortunately you do.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Cobblers.
You can take your pick of any news site but here's the FT's take on the referendum.

" The offer of a referendum in 2013 was intended to stop Conservative voters defecting to the anti-EU UK Independence party "

www.ft.com/content/4f8634c6-3873-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7

And it's Groundhog Day all over again in 2019.
Farage and the meteoric rise of the BXP have got both the Tories and Labour running scared.
Why else do you think Boris,who was written off as a no-hoper only a few months ago,is storming ahead in the leadership contest ?
Why do you think the latest attempt to prevent Brexit in the Commons failed this week ? Because the number of Labour and Tory MPs in marginal and even reasonably safe seats fear being overwhelmed by the Farage tsunami.
Farage stood as an MP seven times and was never elected, whilst UKIP never acheived that much.

If Farage is such a major force in politics then why isn't he sitting in the House of Commons.

Electoral history of Nigel Farage - Wikipedia

Nigel Farage's 7 Failed Attempts To Become An MP | HuffPost UK

Farage even walked away, and the Brexit Party is a one issue party, whilst Cameron's problems with his own backbenchers back in 2010/11 and the split in the Tory party were the main reasons for Cameron's referendum promise and his visits to the EU.

As for Brexit, many Tories played far more of a role than Farage, and those Brexiteers in the Tory party held real power and influence in relation to Cameron.

Whilst if predictions are right and Brexiteer Boris Johnson becomes PM, and deivers the Brexit he has promised, then Frage and the Brexit Party will become irrelevant.

If you recall Boris Johnson, did just as much Brexit campaigning as Farage and others during the referedum. Indeed Boris, David Davis and Liam Fox were known at the time as the three Brexiteers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian (2011)

David Cameron was warned that he faces four years of trench warfare with disgruntled backbenchers after he suffered the largest postwar rebellion on Europe as 81 Conservative MPs supported a referendum on Britain's membership of the EU.

With a new opinion poll showing overwhelming support for a referendum, normally loyal backbenchers told Downing Street that Cameron will face further rebellions unless he takes a tough stance in EU treaty negotiations.

The warnings were issued as nearly half of Cameron's backbenchers defied a three-line whip and voted in favour of a motion calling for a referendum on whether Britain should remain in the EU on current terms, whether to leave or whether to renegotiate Britain's membership.

David Cameron rocked by record rebellion as Europe splits Tories again - The Guardian (2011)

Brexit: How rebel MPs outfoxed Cameron to get an EU referendum - BBC News
Quote:
Brexit Party still in its infancy .....

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/st...74852367278081

Which means nothing, indeed the SDP led the polls during part of the 80's but never became a real political force, and the SDP were not just a one issue party.

As for being in infancy it generally means an early stage in the development, and Nigel Farage himself is the first to afmit this, stating that a more established party such as Labour had a big advantage ion the recent Peterborough by-election over the recently established Brexit Party.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-15-2019 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Farage stood as an MP seven times and was never elected, whilst UKIP never acheived that much.

If Farage is such a major force in politics then why isn't he sitting in the House of Commons.

Electoral history of Nigel Farage - Wikipedia

Nigel Farage's 7 Failed Attempts To Become An MP | HuffPost UK

Farage even walked away, and the Brexit Party is a one issue party, whilst Cameron's problems with his own backbenchers back in 2010/11 and the split in the Tory party were the main reasons for Cameron's referendum promise and his visits to the EU.

As for Brexit, many Tories played far more of a role than Farage, and those Brexiteers in the Tory party held real power and influence in relation to Cameron.

Whilst if predictions are right and Brexiteer Boris Johnson becomes PM, and deivers the Brexit he has promised, then Frage and the Brexit Party will become irrelevant.

If you recall Boris Johnson, did just as much Brexit campaigning as Farage and others during the referedum. Indeed Boris, David Davis and Liam Fox were known at the time as the three Brexiteers.

Which means nothing, indeed the SDP led the polls during part of the 80's but never became a real political force, and the SDP were not just a one issue party.

As for being in infancy it generally means an early stage in the development, and Nigel Farage himself is the first to afmit this, stating that a more established party such as Labour had a big advantage ion the recent Peterborough by-election over the recently established Brexit Party.

You mistakenly believe that because Farage never won a seat in the House of Commons he's never had any influence.
The threat of UKIP was enough to send Cameron scuttling to a referendum.
And the meteoric rise of The Brexit Party is the main reason why Boris is so far ahead in the leadership contest.
Dems de facts.
Sorry if they hurt.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:50 AM

391 posts, read 196,540 times
For those unfamiliar, The New Yorker magazine is famous for its lengthy articles. This profile of BoJo is by NYer standards relatively short.

-- "The Empty Promise of Boris Johnson," by Sam Knight in The New Yorker: "The man expected to be Britain's next Prime Minister makes people in power, including himself, appear ridiculous, but that doesn't mean he'd dream of handing power to anybody else." The New Yorker.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-boris-johnson

Old 06-15-2019, 03:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,496 times
I am not sure even allowing for all the trumpeting on the Brexit Party that it will do any constructive good or automatically become a large Westminster lot. Yes they are definitive about getting out of Europe and that is fine but getting to be a settled party with rules, policies, etc is something else.Even if by some miracle unlike it's leader's past failure in getting anywhere they would have to be prepared to a sharing with the Conservatives at Westminster to avoid the disastrous state Britain would end up in with that neo-Marxist Corbyn. So i am a Brexiteer but I do not just jump on wide emotion that somehow the Bexit Party would be automatically a massive big lot in parliament.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
For those unfamiliar, The New Yorker magazine is famous for its lengthy articles. This profile of BoJo is by NYer standards relatively short.

-- "The Empty Promise of Boris Johnson," by Sam Knight in The New Yorker: "The man expected to be Britain's next Prime Minister makes people in power, including himself, appear ridiculous, but that doesn't mean he'd dream of handing power to anybody else." The New Yorker.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-boris-johnson
A cuttings hatchet job from the painfully woke The New Yorker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom