Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You misunderstand me.

I was stating a fact- we do not have an Empire anymore.

We have a Commonwealth of Nations.

I am actually quite proud that a relatively small nation as ours had an Empire the size it was.

I find it amazing that a country the size of ours had such an influence on the world, but I'm not 'proud' of our colonial past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:19 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
but I'm not 'proud' of our colonial past.

And why not? most of the countries of the CW have embraced the Magna Charta and are proud themselves to have inherited British institutions.
No more self-flogging , my British friends, it's so....demeaning?
I know that the whole of the Western Nations are made to be ashamed of their colonial past, slavery, the Crusade, etc, but I think this should stop, I don't want my children to be ashamed of what their are and of their ancestors.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I agree. We should see the actions of our forebearers in the context of its day.

I'm so annoyed at our politicians apologising for actions of hundreds of years ago when they should be looking to be held accountable for their current actions.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 55,783 times
pigeonhole - don't make a controversy where there isn't one (why do posters to forums always have to do this).
We don't have an empire anymore - hardly any Brits care about this; most are indifferent to the fact that we once had one. Some of the stuff we did in the colonies was good, some bad, probably most was neither good nor bad.
But it's in the past and living on past glories (if they were glorious) or indulging in puerile jingoism doesn't help the country in the present century!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Default England & The Greatest Potential May Lie Ahead !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
The sun still does not set on the Biritsh Empire...with 2 minutes to spare!!! You see, the UK still owns many small islands and territories around the world...

Gibraltar
Isle of Man and Channel Islands
Bermuda
Turks and Caicos
British Virgin islands
Cayman ISlands
Montserrat
Falkland Islands
St. Helena
Pitcairn
Chagos Islands (British Indian Ocean Territory)
Islands near Antarica like South Georgia

I believe that there are two small territories still on Cyprus
Also, there may be other small islands that I missed

However, what is the eventual political future of the remainder of the British Empire? I was in the BVI and told that those islands were a VERY long way from independence. They are too content with the way they are and independence is too finacially difficult for them to handle (they are too small). However, what about the rest of the territories? The Turks and Caicos Islands seems to be having too many political problems for independence. But what about Bermuda? I understand independence was turned down a decade ago. Will this rjection of independence remain? Also, aren't the Cayman Islands capable of independence? My prediction is that as long as the Falkland Islanders are British, they will never request to be returned to Argentina, but will the influx of Chileans change this? I understand that Pitcairn is too small population wise for independence, but will this island eventually become unihabitable? What about the territories on Cyprus? Are they going back to Cyprus anytime soon? Finally, what about the channel Islands?

I understand that is a lot of questions. However, I would like to hear predictions and what is expected for the remained of the British Empire. I simply can't find enough information on the web. Please discuss.
Greeting's,

Indeed a facinating subject !

The "Unprecedented History" of the Great British Empire in truly a most intriguing study.

Without doubt there are tremendous numbers of decendants of the original historical race of British decendants alive and well in England today.

These outstanding folks have naturally inherited the old world "Spirit Of Conquer's" and as such possess all the dynamic potential needed to once again successfully establish a much broader "Empire" than we see today.

It's a most interesting concept ! One in which the true potential for British geo-political expansion into the European theater actually exists.

The world at this critical juncture in its rather dismal history would be much better off with a "strong and resolute" British Empire to maintain some order and stability in many of the trouble spots around the globe!

May it soon become a reality ! Long live Britian!

Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 12-05-2009 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: spelling / Thanks / Lamar

Old 12-05-2009, 02:36 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
but I'm not 'proud' of our colonial past.

And why not? most of the countries of the CW have embraced the Magna Charta and are proud themselves to have inherited British institutions.
No more self-flogging , my British friends, it's so....demeaning?
I know that the whole of the Western Nations are made to be ashamed of their colonial past, slavery, the Crusade, etc, but I think this should stop, I don't want my children to be ashamed of what their are and of their ancestors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I agree. We should see the actions of our forebearers in the context of its day.

I'm so annoyed at our politicians apologising for actions of hundreds of years ago when they should be looking to be held accountable for their current actions.

Oh c'mon! You can't honestly deny the horrors of British colonialism and its lasting effects???

Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Default Oh yes amnesia is so much better

1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meiriongwril View Post
    pigeonhole - don't make a controversy where there isn't one (why do posters to forums always have to do this).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiriongwril View Post
We don't have an empire anymore - hardly any Brits care about this; most are indifferent to the fact that we once had one. Some of the stuff we did in the colonies was good, some bad, probably most was neither good nor bad.
But it's in the past and living on past glories (if they were glorious) or indulging in puerile jingoism doesn't help the country in the present century!
Maybe because I was a student in history, I think it's very important not to forget our past history, what's infantile is to imagine we are a sui generis folk and live like zombies who suffer from precocious Alzheimer-
the Leftists understand that perfectly when they are out there bashing permanently our Western heritage and trying to make us ashamed of our ascendancy, I wish more people at the other end of the political spectrum would understan that too.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 55,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
[list=1][*]

Maybe because I was a student in history, I think it's very important not to forget our past history, what's infantile is to imagine we are a sui generis folk and live like zombies who suffer from precocious Alzheimer-
the Leftists understand that perfectly when they are out there bashing permanently our Western heritage and trying to make us ashamed of our ascendancy, I wish more people at the other end of the political spectrum would understan that too.
Uh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom