Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I would bet there was housing built here in greater DC. I think there was housing built in NYC in the 1930s, at least during the brief upswing between 1934 and 1936, and again in 1939, though dwarfed by what was built in the 1920s. There was also public housing built through the decade, and in the 1940s there was multifamily housing built in any metro that was a net recipient of war workers - much of Reservoir Hill in Baltimore was built in the war years for war workers, and Fairlingon in Arlington Va (and many other low rise apt complexes in arlington and DC) were built then. Indeed a few of them are now being torn down to make way for high density mixed use TOD.
I suspect a decent amount of Queens was built up in the 30s, not really sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
seegar wasnt a liberal - he was a Communist. But yeah, a lot boomers like his music, and when the war was on in Viet Nam, there were folks making broad alliances, which didnt necessarily last past 1973.
You're right, Seeger was a communist. . . a very wealthy one who probably lived more like Mitt Romney than Ho Chi Mihn.

Quote:
I've never said that anyone who moved for better schools was a racist.

I do have somewhat more sympathy for backwardness among those who were themselves oppressed, and ignorant, than among those who should know better.

I really think these forums would be better if we all adopted a rule of attacking those who make a statement for making that statement, and not formulating it into a broad grouping of people whom we feel put upon by. Lets not be like those folks in South Boston in that way.
What the H***? When did I say you said people who moved for better schools were racists? I said that was "white flight" theory. It has been espoused by a number of people on this forum. I'm not attacking you. Who are these people "who should know better"? People who moved to the suburbs? Almost any vet could get a VA loan after WW II and move to the burbs. Lots of "oppressed" living in the burbs. The suburbs of Pittsburgh were full of steel workers when I was a kid; many of these people had not even graduated from high school.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-16-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread said that, though.
Oh? See below:

Quote:
well yeah, seeing as they were working class folks who had not fled to the suburbs, and they felt put upon by white liberals (including judge Garrity and the editorialists at the Globe) who lived in white suburbs. And the schools were centers of their insular communities.

you might want to read this

Amazon.com: Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families (9780394746166): J. Anthony Lukas: Books

Old 08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What the H***? When did I say you said people who moved for better schools were racists? I said that was "white flight" theory. It has been espoused by a number of people on this forum. I'm not attacking you.
I assumed you were since you were replying to his post. It was rather confusing, I didn't get the context.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Oh? See below:
Yes I obviously read that in the first place, and I didn't get your point and your reply.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
You're right, Seeger was a communist. . . a very wealthy one who probably lived more like Mitt Romney than Ho Chi Mihn.
do you have any evidence for that? Im not a fan of seegar the person (as opposed to the musician) but I dont think folk music was that lucrative.

Quote:
What the H***? When did I say you said people who moved for better schools were racists?.
You said I was making excuses and contrasted that with the blame placed on whites who fled.

Quote:
I said that was "white flight" theory. It has been espoused by a number of people on this forum. I'm not attacking you..
Im not sure what you mean by 'white flight theory" thats a description of much of what happened, not a judgement. If anything many people who DO want to form a judgement judge realtors, banks, and govt lending agencies more than the people who fled. But certainly SOME who fled were doing so for motives of race.

Quote:
Who are these people "who should know better"?.
anyone who was college educated and racist.

Do you think the white (mostly Irish) working class of Boston circa 1974 was really the most racist group in the country? I dont. I really dont. I think the reason they rioted in that era, and lots of other equally or more racist people did not, was a matter of circumstance.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I assumed you were since you were replying to his post. It was rather confusing, I didn't get the context.
The post you quoted was not directed at you, it was directed at brooklynborndad. I did not personally attack him, as his thin-skinned reply implies.

Quote:
Yes I obviously read that in the first place, and I didn't get your point and your reply.
OK, my point was that bbd posted that these people who rioted and protested school desegregation and intergration in Boston city should be excused from their actions b/c they were "put-upon" by white liberals. I said that was an excuse. It's not different than moving to the suburbs to avoid desegregation and integration (assuming the suburbs are all lily white, which is not true and probably wasn't true by the 1970s, when this happened.)

Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM

NEI Said

"Dunno much about Chicago, but I do know in many older cities, postwar suburbs that were initially built to accomodate a growing population of the metro then instead started to replace parts of the city as white flight starte"

"Don't get so worked up about people not responding to your stuff. It happens to all of us. I would have thought there were more people interested in some of my comments about Omaha from earlier in this thread, but no one really seems to care. Anyway, regarding "white flight", again, nothing is as simple as it seems. Remember, it was Boston city in the 70s that had riots against integration of the city schools.
Boston busing crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

So whats your point exactly. How does the tragic situation of Boston in 1974, say anything about the role of white flight in triggering suburban development? Why is it mentioned? To indicate city people are BAD? The folks who stayed in southie and rioted, were neither more nor less racist than many of their equivalent in other cities, and ALSO in boston who left. NEI I think is stating something about the history of suburban FORM, not blaming a group for being BAD.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The post you quoted was not directed at you, it was directed at brooklynborndad. I did not personally attack him, as his thin-skinned reply implies.

OK, my point was that bbd posted that these people who rioted and protested school desegregation and intergration in Boston city should be excused from their actions b/c they were "put-upon" by white liberals. I said that was an excuse. It's not different than moving to the suburbs to avoid desegregation and integration (assuming the suburbs are all lily white, which is not true and probably wasn't true by the 1970s, when this happened.)

in the 1970s it was mostly true, especially of the more affluent suburbs of Boston where people like Judge Garrity lived.

I gave CONTEXT to what happened in Boston. It was a tragic situation, that they rioted, harmful for ALL concerned. If you believe that white flight from the cities was also tragic, in the same way, I guess I have misread you.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I know that. Wasn't really thin-skinned, I was just as irritated.

Quote:
And I don't think anyone in the last few pages said it was different, Brooklynborndad was just adding describing what it was and adding a possibly interesting link and I read as you were attacking him and his post from the tone. No idea you were referring to "white flight theory". The suburbs are all lily white vary drastically by region and suburb. And I suppose your definition of lily white. I thought mine was close to lily white; it's 86% white.

I went to a relative's high school graduation in June and I was astounded that every single graduate was white (maybe one or two non-white kids, might of missed them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning