Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Gosh, what's with all the hostility today? Perhaps I didn't notice that part of you post. What post # is it?
Whoops. You responded to a post a few down not the one with the link, I got mixed up. Though I felt that your response to that post was hostile. The post was here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/25679744-post221.html

But Hands said his grandfather was able to get a loan for a rowhouse, so perhaps I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Thisn is not to say that there was NO mass production of homes before WW2-- the construction of large number of bungalows in Chicago between the wars is an example of that, as are the rowhouses in Philly and Baltimore. But the sheer scale of mass-produced housing seemed to explode in the late 40s-50s, and it provided returning veterans ( and others) a chance at a different setting for a home.."..a nice yard for my kids to play in...and walls of my own"....
There were lots of bungalows built in Denver in 1920s as well. There are streets and streets of nothing but bungalows. This is also the case in some of the older burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
But, as nei pointed out earlier, many cities outside of the NE already had large amounts of single-family housing.
Many? We were talking about Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Redlining is discrimination in its defined form. Surely you must see that.!
Redlining was discrimination. It was not, however, practiced by the FHA but by the banks. Another part of the issue is that houses had to be up to code for the buyer to get an FHA loan (or almost any kind of loan other than money from a family member). That is why a house, even today, has to be inspected before a loan can be issued.

There are a lot of older homes in the Pittsburgh area as well, including in some of the older suburbs, and areas that were sort of "country" turned suburb. I can recall my parents talking about several people who could not get loans to buy houses in these burbs (which where I lived were basically 99.9% white at the time) for reasons such as: have to go through bedroom to get to another bedroom (the access/egress issue); have to go through a bedroom to get to the only bathroom in the house, etc.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Gosh, what's with all the hostility today? Perhaps I didn't notice that part of you post. What post # is it?
Assuming that's an open question, I do get a little perturbed at comments that imply that racial discrimination had NOTHING to do with suburbanization. Though not hostile. There's a reason redlining in illegal now.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
does that map make the case? South Baltimore and Locust Pt are red - those are areas that in the 1980s at least (and I guess since the 1930s) were solidly WHITE working class.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
does that map make the case? South Baltimore and Locust Pt are red - those are areas that in the 1980s at least (and I guess since the 1930s) were solidly WHITE working class.
But industrial, smelly, dirty with freight trains running in the streets. White as ever now, but it's a different place entirely now. Substantial immigrant population too... Even I they were white.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Also, Baltimore is ONE city, a city that is as much southern as it is northern, especially back in the 1950s. My daughter gave me a book about women in WW II, and there is a chapter titled "Jane Crow". It seems black women faced a lot of discrimination in the Baltimore factories.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Redlining wasnt practiced by banks?!? Jeez Baltimore won a civil suit last year against Wells Fargo for redlining in the 2000s.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
But industrial, smelly, dirty with freight trains running in the streets. White as ever now, but it's a different place entirely now. Substantial immigrant population too... Even I they were white.

What I'm wondering is if redlining couldnt be seen as more classist, and antiurban, than purely racist, which is how its often charecterized.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Also, Baltimore is ONE city, a city that is as much southern as it is northern, especially back in the 1950s. My daughter gave me a book about women in WW II, and there is a chapter titled "Jane Crow". It seems black women faced a lot of discrimination in the Baltimore factories.
All true. But it shares common history with some other places - not all. Another poster last week didn't seem intereste in any of them and sort of shrugged them off.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
What I'm wondering is if redlining couldnt be seen as more classist, and antiurban, than purely racist, which is how its often charecterized.
Definitely not purely racist - that's not my argument. Neighborhoods were graded on various characteristics, and one was race. So racism was a part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning