Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,891,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nah that it is a pimple on the back side of urban planning.

When people start acting like it is serious you need to bring them back to reality.
I must not be living in reality then. I cycle to work most days of the week, and I see a lot of others who do the same. Every cyclist takes more cars off the road, provides exercise, and is cheaper for me and the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
This blog post suggests that it doesn't really make sense for transit to carry significant numbers of bicycles though: Human Transit: the photo that explains almost everything (updated!)

It would still be important to have a safe space to leave your bike though, especially if theft is an issue.
I don't disagree that it's going to be a niche market/limited function on transit. I don't think the capacity issue could be dealt with, even if it did make sense. However, allowing for a rack for a couple of bikes is still good because it provides options. I hardly ever see two bikes on the front of the buses in my city, but I frequently see one. I also think it's cool when trains allow bikes (both rapid and intercity/intracity) outside of rush hour. During rush hour, it just doesn't make sense to try and cram a bike (with grease...if it's not an internal hub w/ a belt) in with people trying to go to/return from work.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,543,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I don't disagree that it's going to be a niche market/limited function on transit. I don't think the capacity issue could be dealt with, even if it did make sense. However, allowing for a rack for a couple of bikes is still good because it provides options. I hardly ever see two bikes on the front of the buses in my city, but I frequently see one. I also think it's cool when trains allow bikes (both rapid and intercity/intracity) outside of rush hour. During rush hour, it just doesn't make sense to try and cram a bike (with grease...if it's not an internal hub w/ a belt) in with people trying to go to/return from work.
When I lived in Seattle I used to ride down the line a bit so I could get a spot on the rack - and those carried 3!

Baltimore started rolling out its bike racks around '07, and mine was pretty lonely for the first two years. In the past 2 I've seen a real uptick in rack usage.

Our subway is rarely crowded and there are no middle-platform stops so I can just stand in the far doorway and not impede anyone. It's a royal pain on our light rail if busy, as there are stairs, and to utilize one bike holder, you must elminate 3 handicapped seats! I usually don't bother.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
When I lived in Seattle I used to ride down the line a bit so I could get a spot on the rack - and those carried 3!

Baltimore started rolling out its bike racks around '07, and mine was pretty lonely for the first two years. In the past 2 I've seen a real uptick in rack usage.

Our subway is rarely crowded and there are no middle-platform stops so I can just stand in the far doorway and not impede anyone. It's a royal pain on our light rail if busy, as there are stairs, and to utilize one bike holder, you must elminate 3 handicapped seats! I usually don't bother.
Biking becoming more popular can be a double-edged sword, but it's mostly a good thing (especially while on the road). I have to get creative somedays when the bike rack in my building is completely full, which is getting more common.

Amtrak is confusing, because I was considering bringing my bike with me to Philly last month. They say "some trains" support bringing your bike, but there was nothing at the time of booking my tickets that said anything about "bike-friendly" or "no bikes", so I'm not sure what it was all about. I never followed up on it for other reasons, but it would be nice to visit NYC/Philly/Boston and bring your bike with you.

I wonder how bike friendly cities in Europe handle a higher capacity of cyclists on their infrastructure (or if they decide it's not worth it). Maybe I'll do a little research if time permits today.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,543,927 times
Quote:
I never followed up on it for other reasons, but it would be nice to visit NYC/Philly/Boston and bring your bike with you.

Unless you have a folder, you can't bring a bike on any NE Corridor Amtrak train. My guess is the rationale is that since that is the only train line in Amtrak's system that is profitable (and expensive), they want to reserve all available space for paying passengers. Perhaps expanding bikeshare in the NE cities will alleviate part of this problem.

It's possible and popular on the west coast lines, I know that.

Sometimes I bring my bike with me on Boltbus to NYC. There's no actual storage for it beyond shoving it in the luggage compartment, so those with nice bikes might not wish to do that. My beaters like it just fine.

Too bad no Bolt in Richmond. (bikes are prohibited on Megabus).

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Too bad no Bolt in Richmond. (bikes are prohibited on Megabus).
Thanks for the information! This line above is something I frequently say for several transportation-based items. Richmond is a nice city, but it's just out of reach of the much better transportation that you get being in the BOSWASH.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
Quote:

I wonder how bike friendly cities in Europe handle a higher capacity of cyclists on their infrastructure (or if they decide it's not worth it). Maybe I'll do a little research if time permits today.
Many Amsterdam roads have a completely separated bike lane system (sometimes barriers between car lanes) with their own turning lanes. I usually don't care for complete separation in American cities, as drivers tend not to check for traffic outside the car lanes. But the volume of bicyclists is so high drivers look for them. The roads are narrow in the old city, cars can't really go much faster than bikes and since the city is fairly dense distances are rather short.

I feel like I didn't enjoy the city as much as I could have. I was there in midwinter so the weather was extremely dreary and the main reason the person I was with wanted to be in Amsterdam was to partake in certain substances.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Many Amsterdam roads have a completely separated bike lane system (sometimes barriers between car lanes) with their own turning lanes. I usually don't care for complete separation in American cities, as drivers tend not to check for traffic outside the car lanes. But the volume of bicyclists is so high drivers look for them. The roads are narrow in the old city, cars can't really go much faster than bikes and since the city is fairly dense distances are rather short.

I feel like I didn't enjoy the city as much as I could have. I was there in midwinter so the weather was extremely dreary and the main reason the person I was with wanted to be in Amsterdam was to partake in certain substances.
Having been in somewhat less bike-friendly European cities (e.g. Barcelona) than Amsterdam, I could see some of the separated bike lane systems with turning lanes, but the systems weren't as complete yet. I especially love when a road wraps around the park, but the bike lane goes directly through the park to the other side, creating an oasis of riding enjoyment and a shortcut that must irritate hurried drivers.

Did you get a feel for if the buses and/or trains supported bikes on them in Amsterdam?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
Quote:
Did you get a feel for if the buses and/or trains supported bikes on them in Amsterdam?
No, we didn't use local public transit at all. We just walked, as we had time and the old city is rather compact.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM

32,158 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Quote:
I must not be living in reality then. I cycle to work most days of the week, and I see a lot of others who do the same. Every cyclist takes more cars off the road, provides exercise, and is cheaper for me and the city.
I generally find that people who cycle to work (I know only a few) live in places with good transit options. So you're not really taking any cars off the road because those people probably don't own or need a car anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning