Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
In a city like DC where there are a million amenities around, it would be counterintuitive to spend time indoors.

Think of Europe, cities there are opposite as they are here; most cities IS where people live, and thanks to great public transit people get around very easy. Spaces are also smaller, but being close to so many different things to do, people use their homes to sleep, and not live 24/7.
Yes, I agree. I also think it is unrealistic to have a 2 bedroom home with 2 kids. Personally I like condos and will choose a condo any day of the week. But sometimes you do need a bit more space, but there is a lot of room between 2 bedrooms and 1000 square feet and 2500 square feet on a 1/3 of an acre. We just don't like to fill that gap for some reason, then assume that all families want 4 bedrooms/3 bathrooms and a huge yard.

Really they just wanted an extra bedroom and an office nook. (My parents lived in an apartment when I was in college that had 3 bedrooms/3 bathrooms and an office nook. They loved it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I also think some of the best options for families that want an urban environment are college towns and major college towns in particular. Generally, the schools are good and there are public transportation options.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who was questioning it? I have been following this thread and haven't noticed that. There have been general comments about how suburban office parks and suburbs lack transit options. In many suburban cases that is true.
Lots of people on this forum like to jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Most suburbs have a direct transit connection with downtown, to other job centers, less often unless they're right nearby.
(Said in regard to the DTC, etc.)

Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

And that is false how? I did not say suburban job centers lack transit, though some do. I said most suburbs have a direct transit connection to downtown, but most often do not have a direct connection to other job centers unless it's close by.

I never questioned whether DTC or any suburban job center lacked transit service, and I'm rather puzzled how you came that idea from my post.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Because we were talking about Denver at the time.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:

Quote:
Reading the quote from nei, he was making a general statement about office parks, not specifically DTC. Though based on what was said, his statement is still true. There are transit routes through DTC, but they are only useful to those that live near those transit routes, and from the looks of what I saw on Google Maps, the number of transit lines running to and through DTC was limited (obviously not going off their time schedules which could make things better, or make things worse.)

Now if we were to step back from the specific, office parks in general tend to lack transit options even though they are essentially job centers.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
The comment you bolded was meant more as a general statement. Regardless, I did not question whether suburban job centers are served by transit.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Reading the quote from nei, he was making a general statement about office parks, not specifically DTC. Though based on what was said, his statement is still true. There are transit routes through DTC, but they are only useful to those that live near those transit routes, and from the looks of what I saw on Google Maps, the number of transit lines running to and through DTC was limited (obviously not going off their time schedules which could make things better, or make things worse.)

Now if we were to step back from the specific, office parks in general tend to lack transit options even though they are essentially job centers.
Please document. I'm very interested in knowing how you're so knowledgeable about transit systems in all US cities. That's a blanket statement.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Please document. I'm very interested in knowing how you're so knowledgeable about transit systems in all US cities. That's a blanket statement.
First, why must it be assumed the poster is referring to all US cities? It could be part of the US, or include other countries.

In any case, it would be extremely tedious to back up the statement with lots of cities. However, I have never seen a city where a downtown was not the transit accessible place in the region, by both coverage (number of direct routes) and frequency, often the difference is large.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM

What else would he be referring to? He made a very blanket statement about office parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning