Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 PM

132 posts, read 195,961 times

Advertisements

The potential colonization of Mars seems like it's been in the news lately, so I felt that the best thing to do is to open up the discussion on whether or not density is necessary for walkability.

I'm joking of course. What I'm really interested in is a discussion of how the built environment will come to be in an environment with unforgiving conditions and incredibly scarce resources.

Will there be isolated compounds? Clusters of them? Arcologies? Biomes? Earth-style urban forms? Will rural areas ever develop? Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
The potential colonization of Mars seems like it's been in the news lately, so I felt that the best thing to do is to open up the discussion on whether or not density is necessary for walkability.

I'm joking of course. What I'm really interested in is a discussion of how the built environment will come to be in an environment with unforgiving conditions and incredibly scarce resources.

Will there be isolated compounds? Clusters of them? Arcologies? Biomes? Earth-style urban forms? Will rural areas ever develop? Please share your thoughts.
Sure, I'll bite. I think the lower gravity would necessitate artificial gravity, like the spinning space stations in 2001: A Space Odyssey. That means environments would have to be small. Travelling from spinning pod to spinning pod would be a chore. Physical effects of lower gravity would still take their toll on the human skeletal and circulatory systems, and organs, so it would be a lifetime of constant specialized physical exercise.

Food would be the other survival activity, and perhaps the "farms" would be the only non-spinning modules. Therefore they'd be bigger as plants that adapt to zero gravity would have been developed. Some kind of algae. Social activities would revolve around the food modules since they're the only places large enough for communal gatherings.

Even reproduction would be risky. How could a healthy child develop in such low gravity? Though sexual activity loses reproductive consequences, I envision a very solitary, ascetic lifestyle.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,720 times
Obviously everything would have to be meticulously planned in order for any such colony to survive. They wouldn't pop up spontaneously like settlements on Earth; our cities here have all been constructed piece-by-piece over time in a hodge-podge manner. Mars colonies would contrast in that every single part of them would be planned from the start, and would be more rigidly planned and less adaptable than their Earth counterparts.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I do think these issues should be resolved soon!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:34 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
I've given a bit of thought about this subject, as I think it's important for humans to settle on other planets someday, so all the eggs aren't in one basket, so to speak.

However, to have a successful settlement on Mars, people would have to tackle the issue of economics, as Earth-style economics simply won't work on Mars. There's no way you could have a homeless or criminal class on Mars, as space would be at a serious premium, and I hate to think they'd be shoving people out the airlock because they couldn't pay the rent.

Rather than creating a free-for-all, libertarian"paradise" that many might dream of, a Martian colony would have to be more or less communist in nature, to ensure everyone enjoys the same standard of living and does their part to keep the community functioning. Granted, you'd start off with a society composed of 100% highly intelligent, ambitious individuals who will each do their part to keep the community going, so hopefully this kind of system would work. To keep the cycle going in the following generations, children would have to be genetically engineered to ensure they're just as intelligent and ambitious (and emotionally stable...lol) as their parents, as well as making sure no psychopaths are allowed to be born and grow up. After all, it only takes one nut with a grudge to punch a hole in the dome, and psst, all the air is gone and everyone dies.

So yes, you would have to have a very tightly-knit society of highly conformist individuals who put the common good ahead of their own, 100% of the time in order to make a Martian settlement work. Mars will NOT be a place for freedom-seeking, individualist types, that's for certain...lol.

Are humans ready to settle on the Red Planet? Not yet, in my opinion. A hundred, perhaps 150 years from now, maybe.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Mars won't be habitable anytime soon, but there could be other earth-like planets in the galaxy that are. But I don't know if I would want to see humans colonizing any of them. Because we would probably end up paving them over with Walmart strip malls, car-choked freeways and parking lots, etc. And these planets would end up meeting the same fate as earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning