Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 PM

984 posts, read 1,316,195 times

Advertisements

OK, but you still haven't answered my question..........what do you think caused the collapse of so any American cities?

If you don't agree with my explanation then fine but what reasons do you give as an alternative one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
OK, but you still haven't answered my question..........what do you think caused the collapse of so any American cities?

If you don't agree with my explanation then fine but what reasons do you give as an alternative one?
I gave you an explanation for Detroit. I'll give you one for Pittsburgh-the collapse of the steel industry, which happened d/t the collapse of the auto industry in Detroit; and the cause of a depression or whatever you want to call it in other steel towns as well, e.g. Duluth, MN, Gary, IN, Youngstown, OH and many other cities in Ohio.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:41 AM

^^Again, to add: As former President Bill Clinton said, "It's the economy, stupid".
https://www.google.com/search?q=it%2...w=1749&bih=831

*Not calling you stupid, mind you, just repeating.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:14 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Again, to add: As former President Bill Clinton said, "It's the economy, stupid".
https://www.google.com/search?q=it%2...w=1749&bih=831

*Not calling you stupid, mind you, just repeating.
In Youngstown, Youngstown Sheet and Tube made their first major cut-backs on Sept. 19,1977. This date is locally known as Black Monday, and is considered the beginning of the end of steel production in the area. Yet, between 1960 and 1970, Youngstown's population declined by more than 16%. Between 1970 and 1980, the population continued to decline, but only at the slightly higher rate of a little over 17%

While there was only a 1% drop in the city's population between 1950 and 1960, there was clearly something going on between 1960 and 1970, well before catastrophic layoffs began, in the late 70s. And that's what I think this thread is about.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
In Youngstown, Youngstown Sheet and Tube made their first major cut-backs on Sept. 19,1977. This date is locally known as Black Monday, and is considered the beginning of the end of steel production in the area. Yet, between 1960 and 1970, Youngstown's population declined by more than 16%. Between 1970 and 1980, the population continued to decline, but only at the slightly higher rate of a little over 17%

While there was only a 1% drop in the city's population between 1950 and 1960, there was clearly something going on between 1960 and 1970, well before catastrophic layoffs began, in the late 70s. And that's what I think this thread is about.
Youngstown's entire metro started losing population in 1973, was on a pretty steady downward trend from 1978 ( a year after your steel crash) onward.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...rdman%2C_OH-PA

Pittsburgh's entire metro started to decline in 1973 as well, and continued steadily downward with a few exceptions ever after.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ttsburgh%2C_PA

Beaver County's steel crash came in 1982, I believe. (Hard to find data from so long ago.)

It's the economy!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,501,346 times
Quote:
Youngstown's entire metro started losing population in 1973, was on a pretty steady downward trend from 1978 ( a year after your steel crash) onward.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...rdman%2C_OH-PA

Pittsburgh's entire metro started to decline in 1973 as well, and continued steadily downward with a few exceptions ever after.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ttsburgh%2C_PA

Beaver County's steel crash came in 1982, I believe. (Hard to find data from so long ago.)

It's the economy!
So, you're saying the economy was bad before the steel industry crash? I always assumed that it was the steel industry crash that caused the local economies to tank.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
So, you're saying the economy was bad before the steel industry crash? I always assumed that it was the steel industry crash that caused the local economies to tank.
Many people trace the downfall of the steel industry to the big strike of 1959. That's when steel started to be imported in large amounts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_strike_of_1959

Old 09-04-2016, 11:58 PM

984 posts, read 1,316,195 times
Those are a few choice examples but doesn't explain what happened to the country as a whole.

Outside of a few notable exceptions, American cities are died and even though there definitely seems to be resurgence, your average European city of 20,000 has more life after 6pm than cities in the US with millions.

Many major cities in booming areas that have seen explosive growth in the last 50 years have had their downtowns hollowed out. DFW/Hou/Atl/TB/SP/PHX/LA/KS/SL/Char/.............the number of large cities that once had vibrant downtowns that are now a mere shadow of their former glory is endless.
mighty industrial cities that
You never got this phenomenon in Aus/Can and yet we certainly had cities that suffered from hard economic times. Every country in the West has once have been decimated by closing factories and dying industries but their downtowns are still there surviving well and never faced the mass de-population of the vast majority of US cities.

Just look at Windsor/Detroit. Both border cities, built on auto manufacturing, and blue collar towns and Windsor has had growth far slower than the national or provincial averages for nearly 50 years but it's downtown is still alive, it's core never shrank, there was no real white flight, and it has an incredibly low crime rate. 2 years ago the Metro {330,000} didn't record one single murder.

Unemployment may led to a stagnating downtown and slight loss of population but the scale it has happened in the US is unprecedented in the Western countries and the fact that it didn't happen anywhere else with countries of similar incomes, car ownership levels, and suburban development means there has to be another reason that sets the US apart from all other countries and I believe that is the lingering legacy of slavery and racial politics in the US.

Again, what is your alternative theory?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:54 AM

What experience do you have with Canadian, Australian, and US cities to make this statement: "Many major cities in booming areas that have seen explosive growth in the last 50 years have had their downtowns hollowed out. DFW/Hou/Atl/TB/SP/PHX/LA/KS/SL/Char/.............the number of large cities that once had vibrant downtowns that are now a mere shadow of their former glory is endless.
mighty industrial cities that "

Give examples.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
What experience do you have with Canadian, Australian, and US cities to make this statement: "Many major cities in booming areas that have seen explosive growth in the last 50 years have had their downtowns hollowed out. DFW/Hou/Atl/TB/SP/PHX/LA/KS/SL/Char/.............the number of large cities that once had vibrant downtowns that are now a mere shadow of their former glory is endless.
mighty industrial cities that "
Give examples.
I wonder what he's referring to with "SP". St. Paul? And what would "KS" be? Kansas Sity? I don't think this guy knows much about American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning