Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM

242 posts, read 1,116,704 times

Advertisements

My sister is not Mormon and maried a man who is long term Provoite, having been born there, that is also not Mormon. They know lots of people who are not mormon. I just called her since even my parents moved to Provo to be closer to her. They also are not Mormon. There is no checking of id if you wear a tank top. No one is going to check your id period unless you purchase something that requires that you show ID. As to the businesses, You have just as much chance with non Mormon as with Mormon. It wasn't even like that back in the 60's.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
skye, enough with the conspiracy theories, already. That axe is about ground down to a nub by now.

I hope you're not seriously suggesting that it's preferable to live in a place where bars outnumber churches? That's odd criteria, but if that's where your priorities lie, then I can see why Utah might not be a good fit for you.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,114 times
I have lived in the Salt Lake Valley for six years now. The people who follow the Mormon faith in my neighborhood seem to be friendly and willing to accept a person who follows another faith or none at all.Just be comfortable with who you are and genuine in your manner.
All most of these people here in Salt Lake Valley really want is to be respected for their beliefs and known as individuals.When you get to know them you'll be surprised how much variation you'll find in their perspectives on life, politics, sports, entertainment. They're for the most part nice, respectable and fun people to know. If you've had a negative experience or more please don't lump everyone else together. They are people who are finding or attempting to find meaning in their lives through living the teachings of the gospel.
Yes, I have been approached by missionaries a couple of times. When I told them I was happy with my faith they simply let me be.
It's also an opportunity to share a bit about something they might not have had experience with and ask about it friend to friend.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Hi,
I was thinking of moving to utah but my wife is worried about the mormon way of shunning non-mormons.She has lived in mormon communities and said she would never do it again because if you want to start a business or anything they will make i rough to make a living and we have 2 young children that if they try influencing them, they dont want to deal with me.I dont handle people pushing their beliefs or lifestyle on me.
I am a firm believer in you leave me alone and i will leave you alone.
How are they to live with, because all i want to do is live my life and enjoy it.I want to appreciate what has been given to us, nature is all i need.
Dan k

There is one major influence I see with the Mormons in that city: Friendliness.

It has a trickle down effect in that city to Mormon and non-Mormon alike IMHO.

My wife and I are not Mormon, but most of our friends originally were when we moved there. Nobody cared, and all our children played together. Another Mormon Mom babysat our children from time to time.

When I showed up in my 25 ft Ryder truck, a team of guys (all Mormon) showed up and helped me unload the thing the next day. There was no sales pitch, only a hand shake and "Welcome to SLC." It reminded me of the barn raising in the movie "Witness". They wiped the sweat from their brow, drank some water and then left. It would have taken me two days to unload the damn thing. We did it in about 3 hours tops. At the end the wife of one of the men brought over a bunch of pizzas to eat.

Our kids never came home feeling shunned or left out EVER.

I have had a couple of instances where people acted a little jerky towards me when they realized I wasn't Mormon, but I believe that is a subset of a group, not the group itself. There are jerks everywhere, it's not exclusive to any city.

You want a good life? SLC is a good life, outdoors, friendly people, great climate, amazing views, affordable living. What the hell else do you want? Are their jerks in the valley? Yup, Mormon as well as "gentile", but again I found most people to be overwhelmingly nice. Everytime I had a visitor, or any time I went back out there, my friends ALWAYS commented on how friendly the people were, and how beautiful the state was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_american View Post
The only thing that has "aggravated" us so far is some of the local "driving habits" - speeding, never use their turn signals....
Driving was my pet peeve, failure to yield the left lane and no turn signals (I coined the phrase "The Utah Slide"-just sliiiiiide on over into the next lane, nice n slow)

Last edited by SLCPUNK; 09-18-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM

26 posts, read 98,601 times
I am LDS and may have been guilty of "shunning". I told my kids not to associate with the foul mouthed children of the foul mouthed dirt bag who lived across the street.
If that is "shunning", I agree with it...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Did you try to be a good influence on those poor kids' lives? Did you try to tell them "we don't talk that way here" when theyw ere around? Somebody needs to help kids like that, if they are open to it.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Did you try to be a good influence on those poor kids' lives? Did you try to tell them "we don't talk that way here" when theyw ere around? Somebody needs to help kids like that, if they are open to it.
we spoke to the mom, and she understood that her kids could play at our house if they cleaned up their language...but they never came over after that. Mom was probably mad at Dad after that...

Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill55AZ View Post
I am LDS and may have been guilty of "shunning". I told my kids not to associate with the foul mouthed children of the foul mouthed dirt bag who lived across the street.
If that is "shunning", I agree with it...
I can understand why you wouldn't want your children to pick up bad langauge and habits but it's important to note that not all non-LDS people are foul mouthed or bad influences, and I think many non LDS get the feeling that's how they are looked upon by mormons. Of course that's just as big of a generalization as saying mormons don't associate with people outside of their religion. I think there is just a big lack of productive communication sometimes.....

Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
I can understand why you wouldn't want your children to pick up bad langauge and habits but it's important to note that not all non-LDS people are foul mouthed or bad influences, and I think many non LDS get the feeling that's how they are looked upon by mormons. Of course that's just as big of a generalization as saying mormons don't associate with people outside of their religion. I think there is just a big lack of productive communication sometimes.....
Did I say that the family was not LDS?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:06 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
no, but the thread was influence of mormons on non-mormons, so I assumed.....sorry about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah