Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Romney is more problematic for me. That thing he did with his dog? Uggghhh. It bothers me on a personal level.
I'm with you on this. I can't even imagine subjecting a family pet to that kind of experience. It actually does say something about about the way Romney thinks sometimes.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. First let me say that I have absolutely nothing against the Mormon faith and I don't think it's a cult. I think it's a valid Christian religion. It's just not my own.

I am not a supporter of Mitt Romney, but that has nothing to do with his religion. I'm a moderate Democrat and he is a fairly Conservative Republican, so no matter what religion he was, he would not get my vote.

Are all LDS people intending to vote for Romney? I mean it is a first. Sort of like when JFK ran and he was the first Catholic presidential candidate. From what I have read, some fence straddling RCs voted for JFK, who might not have otherwise done so.

Would you say that the Mormon vote is monolithic - or not?
No. I gave some thought to it which is rare for someone who generally votes democratic. Several things really turn me off about Mitt:

1. His inability to acknowledge that there may have been at least one good thing Obama did as President.

2. He talks about doing things differently, but gives few specifics. Its much easier to criticize than it is to come up with a constructive plan to solve complex problems.

3. His failure to repudiate support from nuts like the "birthers".

4. I have mixed feelings about his connection with Bain Capital. I don't see Bain Capital as something which is intolerably evil. However, making your money working for a company like that is different than being a Bill Gates, a Steve Jobs, or a Henry Ford. These people became wealthy because they created something. All of us are wealthier because of automobiles, I-phones, and personal computers. I question if any of us really gained anything from the kind of thing Romney did with Bain Capital.

5. His failure to acknowledge that Obama has had a "rough go" of it because the economy was literally collapsing when he took office. No one completely fixes something in that much trouble in 3 years.

6. His constant needling Obama over situations like Syria. I don't want to involve the USA in another war in the Middle East. Yet, Romney has repeatedly suggested Obama should be more aggressive here. I guess he would complain if he became more aggressive and than unwisely got us into another war in that region of the world.

7. He supports the Ryan Budget which will work untold hardship on millions if it is passed.

Whether he is of my faith or not, I agree with little else about him.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM

600 posts, read 1,932,751 times
But Mark, you could say the same things about almost all other candidates as well. Policitians are usually bashing their opponents.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Mark was fairly detailed in his description of the complaints against Romney.

Just saying that "everyone does it" and not providing specifics is a lame attack. I hear it ALOT from neighbors.

Critical thinking skills are severely lacking here.

BE SPECIFIC.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
What are Momons and why would they support Romney?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
i am an active mormon and there is no way i would touch romney with a 20-foot stick. i wouldn't touch obama, santorum, gingrich, or any of the others for that matter either.

i am a constitutionally-leaning independent, and i find the democratic and republican parties to be highly repulsive, dishonest and completely ineffective. and i will not be aligning myself with either of them any time soon, although i did register as a republican this year so that i could vote for ron paul in the utah primaries. now it is time to claim independent again and vote for paul in the national election.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No. I gave some thought to it which is rare for someone who generally votes democratic. Several things really turn me off about Mitt:

1. His inability to acknowledge that there may have been at least one good thing Obama did as President.
He has done this. He applauded the killing of Bin Laden, voiced support for the Education Department's advocacy of performance based pay, and so on.

Quote:
2. He talks about doing things differently, but gives few specifics. Its much easier to criticize than it is to come up with a constructive plan to solve complex problems.
That's true, and that's the nature of politics. It's not like Obama was elected because of his specificity or specific proposals. No one is. What candidates do in office is often different from what they promise to do on the campaign trail. Being specific, it could be argued, is just setting yourself up for failure, because it's unrealistic to plan exactly what you will do in 4 years as president. Too much depends on what Congress will allow you to do, what party rules, etc.

Quote:
3. His failure to repudiate support from nuts like the "birthers".
Is it his responsibility to do this? Any self-respecting politician would have to be an idiot to reject a huge amount of support from people simply because they seem whacky. He has stated that Obama was born in the USA. What more do you want him to do? When Patrick Gaspard, Executive Director of the DNC yesterday said, "it's constitutional. *******." in response to the healthcare ruling, I expected Obama to condemn it. But he didn't. It's not the president's responsibility to discipline everyone in his party, but it's not like Obama has been any better than Romney on this.

Quote:
4. I have mixed feelings about his connection with Bain Capital. I don't see Bain Capital as something which is intolerably evil. However, making your money working for a company like that is different than being a Bill Gates, a Steve Jobs, or a Henry Ford. These people became wealthy because they created something. All of us are wealthier because of automobiles, I-phones, and personal computers. I question if any of us really gained anything from the kind of thing Romney did with Bain Capital.
I don't get what you're trying to say here. Are you criticizing Bain Capital, or are you criticizing Romney for not being a Henry Ford? Under Romney, Bain helped turn around and create some of the biggest names in the business. I mean, maybe you don't consider things like pizza, office supplies, and sports gear to be as noble as cars, i-Phones, or PCs.... but what exactly do you think that says about Romney's business prowess, and how would that be a negative as a candidate?

Quote:
5. His failure to acknowledge that Obama has had a "rough go" of it because the economy was literally collapsing when he took office. No one completely fixes something in that much trouble in 3 years.
I think most of his criticism actually hinged on Obama's own statements and predictions, which he failed to meet. Had unemployment never gone above 8%, like Obama predicted his stimulus would accomplish, or had the economy had strong signs of turning around in 3 years, which Obama specifically said would probably be requisite to being reelected, then Romney's arguments would have no sting.

Quote:
6. His constant needling Obama over situations like Syria. I don't want to involve the USA in another war in the Middle East. Yet, Romney has repeatedly suggested Obama should be more aggressive here. I guess he would complain if he became more aggressive and than unwisely got us into another war in that region of the world.
I agree, but you have to keep in mind that the rhetoric has been exaggerated on both sides. Obama's campaign in '07-'08 was initially based on the unpopularity of the Iraq war, and his commitment to end the wars. That's the momentum that got him elected. But his stance was, in reality, not much different than McCain's or Romney's. Heck, he wouldn't have been able to end the war in Iraq had Bush not implemented the troop surge in '07, which Obama opposed. The rhetoric is empty on both sides.

Quote:
7. He supports the Ryan Budget which will work untold hardship on millions if it is passed.
How so?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 PM

317 posts, read 651,841 times
stycotl: you might want to check out Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
stycotl: you might want to check out Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate.
i have checked out johnson, and he is another candidate that i could vote for without feeling like i'd have to wash my hands afterward.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I'm a Mormon and am probably not going to vote for Romney.

I'm a registered Democrat, but I loathe politics so much, I really don't know who I'm going to vote for yet.

Just because Romney is a Mormon, does not mean I have to/need to vote for him. All politicians are majorly screwed up anyway, so just because he's a Mormon does not mean he'll be able to do a better job in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah