Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Utah as religious as people say it is
yes, they cant stop talking about it 41 38.32%
no but more religious than surrounding states 33 30.84%
yes but it is not mentioned in everyday life 30 28.04%
no, it's just a myth 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times

Advertisements

I got the memo on day one and had surgery three months later. Blonde hair isn't in my budget so I am out of here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
Okay, now I'm starting to get a complex. This isn't the first time I've been informed that I'm supposed to be blonde and beautiful to live in Utah County. I used to be happy and content, but since frequenting this board, I've learned that I need to bleach my hair and my teeth, have extensive plastic surgery, and develop a superiority complex. Otherwise, I simply won't fit in and there goes my social life.

I don't get it. I guess none of my friends got the memo?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 25,880 times
Its interesting reading about Utah as compared to some of the neighboring states...Arizona and New Mexico...

I looked at Prescott, Payton, many towns in New Mexico and they all seem to have crime and meth problems.

Many people seem to be concerned about LDS issues. Well, I mutch rather have several missionaries on my front door step rather than a bunch of tweakers.

Besides the religion it seems that the LDS have created a society that functions well.

I could be off base but are there drug problems in Utah like there are in New Mexico or Arizona?

I have heard that Utah prescribes more anti-depressants per capita than anywhere else in the USA?....I rather have people on happy pills...cant think of the last time someone on AD commited a home invasion...unless they were not taking there pills!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Actually, Meth abuse is a huge problem in Utah.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 25,880 times
Wow! That is a surprise. Do you have data? I did find that admittance to rehab centers for meth treatment is very high in Utah..130 something per 100,000 as compared to 29 per 100,000 in Arizona and 8 per 100,000 in New Mexico. Now this could mean many things...1 of which is perhaps people are more likely to get help in Utah due to better support networks...or it could just be blind optimism?

I just cant understand people who use Meth...
Pot and Acid had the hippie culture and free love movement.
Coke had the discos and yuppy mentality and was "sexy"
Heroin..well..Heroin..had great marketing by coke dealers who knew they could get people to be Heroin addicts for longer periods of time before burnout..The early 90's manifested this marketing period with models havign horse purses and what not...

But..meth..god...there is no angle on this one...where is the upside? Is there an attraction to trailer parks, motorcyle gangs, and organic chemistry so strong and appealing now I have completely missed it?

Even Hunter S. Thompson disparaged the use of meth...and when he died his body was smoked and got all of northen california high....for a month....

Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Meth use is huge, especially in southern utah...plenty of tweakers for your money here...not sure where I would find the stats on that...i do read the papers and check the arrest records...and those are only the ones that get caught. lots of poverty...probably goes along with that. I don't think there are the support systems in place here to deal with it...and meth is cheap to make...it's no better or worse than any state. Utah has the same crime as anywhere else..no different...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Deseret Morning News | Meth emergency: Use soaring among Utah females

http://www.usaav.utah.gov/GeneralInfo/Meth%20Facts.pdf (broken link)

Bennett: <b> <hl> U.S. Senate Gives Utah Meth Fight and New Law Enforcement Tools a Thumbs Up </b> </hl>: 10/16/2007 (http://www.senate.gov/~bennett/press/record.cfm?id=285472 - broken link)

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,572 times
Meth is everywhere in the country and Utah certainly isn't immune. Unfortureatly Utah might have the ingrediants ripe for more than average abuse. In southern Utah there is more than enough rural living for people to cook it up without much fear of anyone noticing. Sudafed is sold off the shelfs of stores without tracking. The state put out a press notice a month ago expounding 65 arrests for the manufacture of meth. And that was for the entire state for an entire year.
It's known that the largest group of abusers is comprised of "at home" women who are bored and stressed with kids. And that's Utah in a nutshell.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Aerorick...don't they limit the amount of sudafed and cold meds here like they do in CA...I guess I am lucky I haven't needed to buy any of the stuff...knock on wood, no colds...wow

Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 61,355 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
If you aren't LDS, you have to be upfront with your kids that their classmates very likely will try to shove LDS beliefs down their throats and/or refuse to associate with them.

As any parent knows, kids are more direct and less likely to take no for an answer.
Your kids will be alienated and treated differently being non-LDS
Thats why We left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM

23 posts, read 98,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickery View Post
Your kids will be alienated and treated differently being non-LDS
Thats why We left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are hopefully on the next boat out of Utah. We have been here 2 years and I am tired of the alienation that my kids face just because we are Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah