Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

A 6.1 earthquake in 1975 was centered near the UT-ID border. Felt over a wide area. The foundation of my house was damaged by a minor one in the 1990s.

As for water, you can manage it all you want but it can only go so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 10:42 PM

51 posts, read 80,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
A 6.1 earthquake in 1975 was centered near the UT-ID border. Felt over a wide area. The foundation of my house was damaged by a minor one in the 1990s.

As for water, you can manage it all you want but it can only go so far.
A 6.1 is not a terrible earthquake, and it was 40 years ago. And it happened in a lowly populated area. And like you said, you house was damaged by a minor one. Was it like in Japan where thousands died in an earthquake? No. So I don't see it as much of a problem. And as buildings improve, they are more resilient to earthquakes. And for the water, if we improve the water system we will not have problems until we have maybe 10-20 maybe even 30 million people, which in Utah will probably never happen.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:44 AM

224 posts, read 640,167 times
I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the skylines. You WANT tall buildings?
And which cities are you comparing? St George to Grand Junction CO? Provo to Boulder CO? Same type of populations and those towns have no "city skyline" either.... Boulder's is on purpose.
Not everyone wants tall buildings overwhelming the trees and views.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the skylines. You WANT tall buildings?
And which cities are you comparing? St George to Grand Junction CO? Provo to Boulder CO? Same type of populations and those towns have no "city skyline" either.... Boulder's is on purpose.
Not everyone wants tall buildings overwhelming the trees and views.
Im not saying every city should have a great skyline. I just think its weird that Provo has a bad skyline, despite it being the center of a major metropolitan area with 116,000 people in the City and 550,000 in the metropolitan area.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:16 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrape View Post
we will not have (water supply) problems until we have maybe 10-20 maybe even 30 million people
Any *facts* to back up *your* statement ???

Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Any *facts* to back up *your* statement ???
Well, its an educated guess. That is why I gave the estimate of 10-20-30 million. However, I based it off of facts. As I said before, look at California, 39 Million people, tons of huge cities, its one of the driest states, and it still manages to have a efficient water system, so why cant Utah?

Old 11-01-2015, 03:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Well, its an educated guess. That is why I gave the estimate of 10-20-30 million. However, I based it off of facts. As I said before, look at California, 39 Million people, tons of huge cities, its one of the driest states, and it still manages to have a efficient water system, so why cant Utah?
This is a very dubious assertion. Moreover, CA has put itself in a clearly unsustainable position.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
And they get water from other states.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And they get water from other states.
Well, than what about Arizona, nearly 7 million people, several large cities including Phoenix with 1.5 million people in the City and 4 Million in the metro, it has an efficient water system, at least from what I have heard. And why can't Utah get water from other states? The East US gets pummeled with snow and hit with -40 Degrees Fahrenheit temperatures every year, so why can't they share with the drier states?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Well, than what about Arizona, nearly 7 million people, several large cities including Phoenix with 1.5 million people in the City and 4 Million in the metro, it has an efficient water system, at least from what I have heard. And why can't Utah get water from other states? The East US gets pummeled with snow and hit with -40 Degrees Fahrenheit temperatures every year, so why can't they share with the drier states?
OK, we will play *your game*. Let's have some fun *discussing* nonsense. At least you are not *bashing* Utah ... yet ...

How far East should Utah go to build a pipe line to get water, from *your East* which gets pummeled with snow ? Do you know how many miles it is from Utah to the East (which often gets to -40 F) ??

You do take pretty pictures, so stick with that !!

Last edited by irman; 11-01-2015 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah