Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,953 times

Advertisements

Emptynester if your're still around reading this,I want to report on my trip to Nephi.Not only did we[daughter and me] fall in love with a small town but the people we met.Very out spoken in thier views but genuinely interested in our views and oppinions on many subjects.Assurances ,of all individuals we spoke to,that any discrimination because of religion is not tollerated. We talked to merchants,business people,workers in the stores,and many-many home-owners.Not one person we met didn't talk frankly and all invited us to return to thier homes when we move there. I found us a home and are negotiating for the purchase now,with my wife's approval that is. Thanks for your input and response to this raving I've been doing. I think I found out where all the good people live and are not afraid to talk openly with me about my concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 10:36 PM

83 posts, read 218,294 times
I was reading through a lot of the post here,(the site not just this thread) and the ones who are not or do not like LDS people per say (My guess) are here not to give people honest advice but to promote their agenda of keeping non LDS people from getting to close to Mormons. They hate to see you join the best cult on the earth, where else can you have so much fun telling non members you have 6 wives and they believe you.
I am not saying the posters here did that. maybe Janet. just kidding mom.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,699 times
Default Move to Nephi

Hello:

I have lived in the Nephi area for 8 years now. I have found it to be a mostly friendly place. Of course, you can find idiots anywhere. I have several children in the public school system and they had what I felt were normal adjustments to the move. Some kids were less than friendly and fostered their clicks, but others were very kind and reached out. It didn't seem that there was a consistency between LDS and non-LDS kids in this. Some LDS kids were jerks, others were not. Some non-LDs kids were jerks, others were not.

Most people here are LDS, and they do tend to be absorbed in their church-related activities. The town is largely a rural climate with a small-town mentality. That means that many people have lived here for literally generations, and it makes them pretty comfortable with the set of friends that they already know and have known since they were born. I don't feel that this is necessarily mean-spirited, just the very normal human tendency to be comfortable in the surroundings that one has grown accustomed to, and cautious about moving out of the comfort zon.

The cost of living is great, the crime rate is low, the schools are, well, not the best, but they supply a lot of opportunity to be involved in many different activities. I lived in a large Utah town before moving here, and it seemed that kids had to specialize since being a toddler in order to make a ball team or singing group.

The shopping is marginal, but good shopping is about 30 minutes north.

I guess the bottom line is that Nephi is a predominantly LDS, small town, with all of the good and bad that this situation entails. For us, it has been a good place to raise our family.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 PM

8 posts, read 22,406 times
Thanks for your posting Miriam. I think you are being a little conservative in your description of Nephi.Every person we talked to was beaming with pride when it came to their city. Unfortunately we had to cancel our move at this time due to medical concerns. Hopefully in the not to distant future we will be able to do it.We were dealing with some wonderful people when trying to buy the house [826 N Main] and they were extreamly understanding when told we couldn't at this time. Thanks Dianne & Carl. You are a very lucky person to live in Nephi. Comparing it to living here in So.Cal. isn't even fair.Your posting validates my impression of the people we me in Nephi.All good folks! Thanks again for responding to my rambeling diatribe. MARK

Old 08-29-2006, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,947 times
mtcsr, what did you decide to do? When we moved from California, my wife and I looked in Nephi as well and had it been closer to family living in the South Salt Lake area I think we would have chosen Nephi. We like the area and the people seemed really nice.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 AM

61 posts, read 275,750 times
Just FYI you may consider Price, which is very near Castle Dale. It is a small town, has a college there (College of Eastern Utah), has a hospital, etc. It is ~ 1 hour from Provo.

It is only 50% LDS, similar to Salt Lake City. That's sort of amazing for rural Utah. This is because it was settled by Greek Orthodox.

- Chris

Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 PM

Default mtcsr.

We looked at Price but determined Nephi suited us better.Small town with major shopping 30 min. up the road.Medical facilities in town,S.L. only an hour or so north.VA clinic in Nephi,VA hospital in SL with transportation there and back provided free.Not as cold as Price or as much snow.We have family in-laws living in Castle Dale and have heard all about the area but still prefer Nephi. We had to postpone any move at this time but still plan to move there in the future.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM

#16 Today, 07:39 AM
frogamigo

It is great to hear others who also think or feel that Nephi is a place that genuinely gives-off a feeling of friendlyness and a welcome attitude to outsiders.{even if we come from Calif. which is no recomendation} We had some unexpected medical problems pop up which prevent our move at this time.We still plan to relocate to Nephi,but at a later date.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM

61 posts, read 275,750 times
In that case, all the best with your (eventual) new home!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 868 times
I'm not LDS. I moved into Nephi from, Mississippi. All the kids treated me fine, never had a problem with not being mormon. Neither did my little brother, or my sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah